Guest viewing is limited

THR So far, so good

Yes on the heel toe. Have to concentrate to be sure I do that. OK. I admit it. I was a bad girl today. Drove myself through the Starbucks drive thru. It was OK but when I got home I felt some discomfort on my right calf and hip. It disappeared fairly soon but I won't do that again. Don't want to do anything to risk it!!
 
My doc has a rule of no driving until you reach week six. That's 3 weeks, two days for me. I am counting them.
 
Hi @marita - totally understand wanting to drive. I also live alone and couldn't wait to find out if I could drive. With left replacement I think we get driving back quicker, so while I was able to drive at @ three-four weeks I don't anticipate same schedule with right. Keep trying to take it easy--we want it to heal over night and forget it took a while for our hips to get bad! Your body will let you know when you overdo!
 
Hope you have a peaceful weekend. We are rooting for you so you better behave:heehee:
 
Thank you. It helps to feel supported. Today a friend took me to Starbucks. Another friend said I must call her for my Starbuck's rounds. I'll do my best to behave. I think i't's because I'm on the cane most of the time. The muscles in my butt having more of a workout. Icing now.
 
This can be the slow cabin fever OK, I'm ready to move on stage.
All temporary.
Glad you've got some Starbucks buds.
 
I looked in the thread about THR activity progression and it looks like I should be walking more. Tomorrow is my 3 week anniversary but I've only been doing ADL and PT exercises. Plus getting out a little. Week 2 says to walk around the house for 10 - 15 minutes twice a day. OK! I just started last night and did a 10 minute walk. It was OK. No problem. So, I'm going to follow that up and try 2 10 minute walks every day. To start. See how that feels. My hamstrings are feeling a bit tight.
Oh, big thing: I hurt my left knee (my THR was on the right) 6 months ago by a fall. It has not really repaired so that it can be hard to bend completely. My doc said we should take care of the R hip first. Then we'd see what else was needed. So, now, with more activity, I am feeling some discomfort in the left knee. I am icing it at times. I have some fear that I won't be able to walk long times as I recover because of the left knee. We'll just have to see and hope.
 
That's a general activity progression, certainly doesn't take into account messed up knee. Do what you can and what doesn't set you back. I think you are doing fine.:console2:
 
Well, the 10 minute walks twice a day didn't work. Hip and calf hurt. PT told me today I needed to just do ADL and ice, then start out with 5 minute walks and see how that goes. I like my PT. He doesn't push me. The exercises he gives me don't hurt. So, we'll try that. Icing now.
 
This hip recovery business is serious. It feel as if my whole life is about recovery. icing, meds, exercise, PT, ADL and back to walking (which I can do very little of w/o causing a pain kickback). Whew. How long is this gonna last? Three weeks 3 days post op and the days just crawl by. My PT cheers me up. It feels as if it's going so slowly. Here on Bonesmart is the place I complain. Supposed to go to a concert on Dec. 2. Hope that will work. And... a friend is taking me to the health club pool on Friday. Hope I can get into the water. Do I take the cane with me to get down the steps? Longing for the water. But will I be able to walk without the cane in the water? Hmmm.
 
a friend is taking me to the health club pool on Friday.
I would not recommend you get into any pool before your 6 week check. That incision needs to be fully healed and only your surgeon or a practice nurse can confirm if it is. You risk infection.
Three weeks 3 days post op and the days just crawl by.
My biggest advise is you need to stop fighting this recovery. You can't make the days to by any faster and pushing only results in pain and discomfort. Still early days - relax and let your body heal.
 
Lots of trauma...we dealt with that hip pain, but it is so hard for us to give our body a break after all that work the surgeon did.
We just are READY to get on with it.
Please give it some more time so you don't develop any chronic issues. You WILL get there.
Stay patient and it will all be temporary.
Hope you have a great weekend !
:dogwalk:
 
I am three weeks post op this Tuesday - everyday is better than the day before -My biggest complaint is sleeping - never was a back sleeper and now can’t sleep in either side . Boredom is another peeve - Can’t imagine that sometime is the near future I will be walking normal again - good luck With your journey
 
It was my doc who said I could swim. And....it was great. I mostly did water walking. Whohoo, no cane in the water. It seems like I walked a little better with the cane when I got home.
Yes, yes, I hear you about backing off and not pushing it. I certainly don't want any chronic issues. Mostly I'm just pushing it in my mind but not physically, I think. What I actually do is about 15 min of exercise twice a day and then just walking -5 minutes at a time at the most. And I ice and ice. Little pain. Trying (and I think succeeding) in walking upright with no limping, with my cane. I don't plan to stop with the cane until I can walk with a perfectly good gait without it. So, whadya think?
 
I am three weeks post op this Tuesday - everyday is better than the day before -My biggest complaint is sleeping - never was a back sleeper and now can’t sleep in either side . Boredom is another peeve - Can’t imagine that sometime is the near future I will be walking normal again - good luck With your journey
You are just a week behind me. I celebrate 4 weeks post op on Monday. Good luck on your journey. Yep, sleeping has been harder for me as well. But my PT lets me sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. That works pretty well and I can sleep on my back a little. Yeh, tell me about the boredom. I'm lucky to have some good friends who relieve me of it.
 
I go tonoutboatient pt on Monday - I will ask about side sleeping with a pillow - what side are you sleeping on - ie operated side?
 
I go tonoutboatient pt on Monday - I will ask about side sleeping with a pillow - what side are you sleeping on - ie operated side?
I am sleeping on the non operated side. Was told very clearly not to sleep on the operated side. This with RTHP I sleep with my left side down.
 
I am feeling so grateful. The deal is, I have had little pain, I am walking with a cane after a little over two weeks with the walker. I can go out to coffee with friends and went out to dinner once. I just have to remember the rhyme "down with the bad, up with the good" to remember how to get up and down steps. No problem getting in and out of cars. Recovery, overall, is going good. Main thing for me to remember is to go slow and don't overdo it. And....my incision looks great as well. I celebrate 4 weeks post op this Monday!!
 
Yay ....good for you. Onward and upward!:froggies:
 
Oops - I feel a set backing - maybe I did too much yesterday - this morning and all day tong leg and groin hurting - been icing all day off and in and taking Tylenol - first out-patient pt tomorrow ✌
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom