THR So far, so good

I had a bad day when I overdid it. Next day, I just stopped. Iced and did minimal exercises and it turned around. God luck. Expect you'll be Ok if you back off for a day or two.
 
Yes I know all about going out. I am about 31/2 weeks out started to drive 10-15 minute run next day hip started to hurt its my right leg. No couldnt take bath or swim 6 weeks. As far as laying on my back could put pillow between my legs non operated side . And yes I tried operated it hurts so forget that its long process but on the other hand it does go fast. I just finished my left hip about 5 months ago so I know how it goes. I have learned faster this time my limits. Good luck in a couple months you will look back and be glad u took time to heal. Walking is the best.
 
Hope you are feeling better...not hard to figure out when we've pushed it too far. But think we all have.
Hope today is a Good Day:puppysmooze:
 
Everything is going well. It seems like each day I can put a teensy bit more weight on my right hip leg. But I will wait until I can do a perfect gait before I give up the cane, no matter how long that takes. Walked to the end of the block and back with my PT yesterday and did the same today. It's almost a 10 minute walk. Couldn't have done that two weeks ago.

I timed my PT exercises. It only takes about 5 minutes. Now we started working on the side leg muscles (the medias gluteus, I think it is) with easy going swings out to the side.

I can also go up and down steps (PT said I could) one step to each foot. Yay! It must be the quads (thigh muscles) that have gotten stronger with the squats.

I am taking less Tylenol because mostly it just isn't hurting much at all.

Went to the pool today again - but remember, my doc OK'd that.

I feel blessed and happy. Tiny steps add up to healing. Everyone has to see what their own body will do. And....I did overdo it a couple of times, but pulled back right away. Pulling back and not pushing through is what saved me.
 
Now we started working on the side leg muscles (the medias gluteus, I think it is) with easy going swings out to the side.
Did you miss this?

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Ooh. No squats for me. Very unnecessary and stressing things that are trying to heal I would think.
Glad you are doing well. Some stuff just needs to get better with no aggravating though.
Hope your weekend has been peaceful.
 
The squats don't aggravate me. Actually, walking much longer than 10 minutes is the most aggravating. so I only do it as it is comfortable. Right now my worst problem is from a left knee injury six months ago.
A fall on my left knee that is giving me problems as my right hip heals. I am icing my left knee more than right hip.
As far as I can tell, the more mobile I am the more problem with my left knee. Right hip seems ok with little pain. Any ideas?
 
So sorry your knee is bothering you. Especially being on the opposite side of your new hip where you probably tend to rest.
One month out...maybe walking ten minutes at a time is more than plenty.
Certainly everyone has different capabilities...and if it's working for you, that is super.
Sorry to sound like a nervous Nellie, but can't imagine squats any good for a bad knee either.
Just a thought..hope your Sunday is sweet.:SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
I should probably have entitled my thread 'Ms Impatient' because that seems to be who I am. So, I have been restricted from driving for 6 weeks post op. The doc said I could drive to my 6 week appointment next Tues. I am counting the days. 7 to go. The problem is the feeling of confinement. Can't just get up and go when I want to. Yesterday, I walked to the corner store (about a ten minute walk total) So that's a help. Got me a diet coke. Then there's the impatience of waiting until my gait is 'perfect' without the cane. It's not. I try it out for a few steps several times a day, but no go. I feel sort of like I'm plaguing people with my complaints. I know it's still early on but I so want to be a 'normal' person again. Next week, I'll get to drive. That should help my mood.
 
@marita I know just what you mean about wanting to be a ‘normal ‘ person again! That’s just how I feel. And I felt/feel I’m always complaining :( We’ve been through a lot and it’s going to take time. No getting around it. Just wanted to say I’m in full agreement with how you’re feeling! I’m eight weeks post op now and things are slowly improving.
 
I agree with Gretel. Patience is the hardest thing to embrace.
Hope all gets easier soon.
 
Thanks, guys. I appreciate your support. There's nothing like those who have been through it. My friends are supportive, but there's no way they can really understand the blow by blow.
 
I waited. I tried everything. Supplements. PT. Celebrex. Water exercise. And just tolerating it.

One OS said that maybe I could wait another 6 years!!! My quality of life was seriously declining. Couldn't keep up with my friends going to the art gallery. They had to get lunch for me because I couldn't stand in line. Couldn't stand anywhere for more than a minute. Kept looking for walls to lean against. By the time I got to the second OS I was just praying he would say I was a candidate.

I don't know about delaying the surgery and if the outcome is worse if you do. But the discomfort (read pain) and decreased mobility made me sure that I wanted to proceed. No matter what. I feel lucky that I didn't go into surgery with any hesitation. I knew I didn't want the life I was leading.

Now I'm 5+ weeks post op. Very little pain but I still use a cane (normal from everything I've heard). I can stand. For unlimited amount of time from what I can tell. Yes, I get tired walking and/or I hurt and have to ice if I overdo it. My thread is entitled Sofar, so good. And that's exactly where I am. My biggest problem is that I am so cussedly impatient.

I talked to a woman in the pool yesterday. She has a lot of pain, uses a walker and a cane, but she'll be damned if she's going to go under the knife. I feel badly for her, to be so afraid. But, then, everyone has to make their own choices.
 
@marita You will notice I moved this post into your own thread (it was in the depression discussion thread) because I felt you needed some advice. So I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
I had my surgery so I could get rid of the pain and get life back, and I am glad I did. You are right-everyone has to make their own choices.
 
Josephine,
Sure I'm ready for you to ask me questions but what do we do? Private message. I'm not really good at navigating this or any other site. Assistance?
 
Hi @marita-Josephine will post the questions and you will just respond to them here in your thread. If you read through other posts you will see how that works. Due to time difference between UK and US, it can seem to take Josephine a minute to get back to you, but somehow she always does! If you need to ask her a specific question you would just use the @ and then type her name with no space. Hope you have a good day!
 
Hi @Josephine. On second thought, I'm not entirely sure that I want to have advice from you. I have my doc and PT and think both of them excellent. You know that adage about how too many cooks spoil the soup? Let's wait for now and check back in a week. Thanks for your interest.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom