TKR Snowdrop made it to the other side!<

I agree, being stuck inside in winter isn't the 'downer' that being stuck inside in summer would be! I am also glad I did it as the days were getting longer; can't imagine having to deal with the early pain levels AND darkness outside at 4 PM!

One of my new sayings: Every day, each night, even hourly, a new ache, a new pain, a different muscle making itself known in novel ways.
 
In a few days, I will be six weeks out from surgery. Yesterday was a tough day for me. Everything is progressing fairly well except for a nagging pain in the front of my knee, but that, too, seems to be improving each day. But yesterday, I was feeling more tired and more pain than usual (for whatever reason), and I think being homebound for five weeks had me a little crankier than usual. I ended up getting caught in the trap of trying to take it easy, yet trying to do stuff on my own. By the afternoon, after the umpteenth time of asking my hubby to finish something I had started, he blew a fuse as well. I can't blame him...really, it must be so frustrating to be asked to do stuff all the time, when it seems I should be perfectly capable of doing it myself. I felt bad for him, but equally bad (and sorry) for myself. Well, I had another good cry afterwards and seemed to get all my frustrations out. Hubby was a sweetheart afterwards and I tried to be a better "patient". I guess this is a very long journey for the both of us. Good thing we've been married for 31 years...we haven't killed each other yet! On the plus side, I had a great night's sleep and feeling refreshed this morning. Onwards I go!
 
I hope today will be better for you.

Don't feel bad about being cranky. I had a day when I got so frustrated with my husband that I screamed at him for not divining instantly what I wanted him to do. The poor men fled and hid in his office at the other end of the house!
 
Hmmm, so you 2 are suggesting in some ways it is a good thing I am on my own? Ha ha haaa. Yes, there I times I WISH I had someone to scream at!
 
Thanks, @Celle , for making me smile...just envisioning your hubby scurrying away made me laugh. I guess I would be scurrying away from myself too, lol. Today is a much better day. I even went outside for a little walk...it made a load of difference getting out of the house (and not just to PT).

@Freedom , not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing to be on your own! I suppose there are positive things about both!
 
Hmmm, so you 2 are suggesting in some ways it is a good thing I am on my own? Ha ha haaa. Yes, there I times I WISH I had someone to scream at!
You don't yell at your dogs and cats? :rotfl:
 
In two days time, I will be six weeks post-op. It's hard to believe that I have survived those rough first weeks, and that they were such a short time ago. The pain in the front of my knee is getting better...still makes me catch my breath once in a while, but not nearly as much as a week ago. My measurements at PT today were 120 and -3...pretty amazing, I think. I have finally ditched the walker and now use my cane most of the time. I will walk without it from room to room in my house, but still rely on it for stairs and longer distances. I have begun taking walks outdoors ( what a relief!) and have also begun wearing my new fitbit to mark my progress. I am a far cry from my 10,000 steps yet, but my step count increases each day! Pain is managed with tylenol and advil, but I still take the occasional hydromorphone at night. My PT began treating my scar with ultrasound today. She hopes that it will decrease the high sensitivity I feel in it. I must admit that it does feel better tonight...not as sensitive as usual.
Thanks to the wonderful advice that I have received on this site, I feel like I am smoothly moving forward in my recovery!!! Sure, there are most definitely ups and downs, but the overall movement is forwards! Yay!
 
I agree, being stuck inside in winter isn't the 'downer' that being stuck inside in summer would be!
I agree---I had my BTKR in November yeara ago and I was glad that I could recover during months in which I just watched it snow...
, and I think being homebound for five weeks had me a little crankier than usual.
Once I was able to get out and about from time to time, things got a bit better---being stuck at home and getting "cabin fever" was frustrating for me, as well.
I have begun taking walks outdoors ( what a relief!) and have also begun wearing my new fitbit to mark my progress.
These little breaks help you physically and psychologically! I also have a Fitbit HR Charge, and I have no doubt that those 10,000-step days will be eventually on your horizon!
 
As always, @referee54 , thank you for your encouragement! I am so very happy to have found this community!:loveshwr:
 
It is tough where you are in recovery, as you have gotten through the "Dark Days of Recovery" and are anxious to move on.

I can attest to the frustration due to the cabin fever and the inability to do things that you want to do---it seems like it has been long enough, but there is still a ways to go.

In the end though, I am willing to bet that you will not only get those 10,000 steps in day, but also raise your target number!!! Your knee will feel that great!
 
I have been married for 23 years. This TKR surgery is the first time my husband has ever had to look after me for such a prolonged period of time. He couldn't hack it, has let me down big style and next week we are separating. He moves out on Monday. So don't worry about a few harsh words, we need to be able to rely on the partners in our lives in dark times. There, that's the first time I've shared that .... It's been some of the worst 12 weeks of my life.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
:SUNsmile: I felt like the 6 week mark was a major change--I think in my mind it has become," breaking free."
Mood lifted, mobility improved, pain went way down, cabin fever trending down--hurrah! I am just a bit ahead and this trend has continued--may it be the same for you too. :flwrysmile:
 
@sleepilu, I'm so sorry to hear about your separation. There must've been many times over the last 23 years that you took care of him ! I've been married to my current husband for 30 years, he is a saint! However, I was married before and I know how it feels for someone to leave when you need them the most. I'm sure you'll find strength you never knew you had. Please be sure to take care of yourself right now, you have been through the worst part of recovering at this point, you are strong and will get thru this too. We will all be here for you.
 
@sleepilu , I am heartbroken for you. I can only imagine how utterly disappointed you must be in the way things panned out with your husband. After being together for such a long time, you would think that your expectations would be met, especially at such a fragile time. I hope things work out for the best for you. As Karol said above, you are a strong woman who CAN get through this. Be kind to yourself, be kind to your new knee, be kind to your heart. We are all here to support you.
 
@jarabas , I think I am starting to see the glimmer! It will be six weeks tomorrow, and things are definitely brightening up! Now I just need to get back to driving again, and real freedom will hit! I am a few weeks away from that yet though...
 
At PT today, rom was 124/-3... improving by the day! This afternoon I walked myself around the block...it is a very big block (perhaps like 2-3 city blocks)... and managed wonderfully until the last few steps before my house. I think it was psychological...you know, when the end is so close yet so far! Logged 6500 steps on my fitbit today too! Yes, I am lying here icing away, but I am thrilled with my progress! Getting antsy to drive my car, but I know I'm not ready yet...hopefully another two weeks will get me to that point. Am going to make an effort to be kind to myself this weekend while still keeping myself moving.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom