TKR Snowdrop made it to the other side!<

And I second the can't wait to wear jeans again :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok, wow...feeling a little down today. My recovery has been coming along in leaps and bounds these last couple of weeks. But today, I sit here with my leg elevated and in pain. Last night was the first time I have had to take prescription meds in a long while...still taking them today. My knee is swollen and because of that, it hurts to bend it a lot (beyond 100 or so). I'm pretty sure it is my own damn fault too.

You see, I was feeling so very confident lately, that I thought it would be a fabulous idea to go shopping with my hubby...at Ikea. If you have ever been to an Ikea, then you know all about those little arrows on the floor that guide you through every square inch of the store. Boy, was I stupid. And of course, I am doing all my regular chores at home ( cooking, laundry, grocery shopping ). I only came on here to gripe because I know you understand the frustration of thinking you can do something, and then falling flat and subcumming to the knee yet again. Yep, the knee is STILL in charge. I just hope this swelling and pain will settle down. I go for my checkup with the OS on Monday. Oy, what a very, very long journey this is....:gaah:
 
It is frustrating even FOUR and a half months out! We should not call it the "Over Did It Club" but perhaps the "Pushing Patience On Patients Club! I hope your knee becomes comfortable again. Did you at least eat some meatballs or get one of those HUGE cinnamon rolls?
 
You'll be OK, just take it easy for the next couple of days. Welcome to the ODIC !!! It's hard when you start to feel stronger not to do too much. Don't be too mad at yourself, just learn from it. I'm a month behind you and still pooped by the end of the day, in spite of taking a nap every afternoon. I try to just accomplish one or two chores a day (vacuuming, grocery shopping, gym) . I guess all we can do is try to be patient with the knees and appreciate the little victories when we see them.
 
Yep, you got overconfident @snowdrop ! I guess the good news is you felt well enough to overdo. Take a knee-cation for a couple of days.
 
I keep reading how some people are having a horrible recovery, so it really does seem like I am whining about such little things. That said, I will continue...for the last five days, I have been having sharp, deep pain in my shin, just below the knee. The knee itself feels ok, but that shin pain truly feels like it is in the bone. It is most intense when I stand up after sitting or lying down, but after a bit of walking, it settles down to a dull pain. There is some swellibg below the knee and it feels bruised when I touch it, but no redness or heat. The OT looked at it on Monday ( the pain wasn't bad at that time yet) and said it was scar tissue that needed to settle down. He wants to see it again in four months time. He is not worried.

Is that your typical answer whenever you feel a pain or swelling? All I need is someone's reassurance that this is most likely a blip in the healing journey. I guess I would worry more if the pain was increasing or accompanied by redness, fever etc. But it still nags at me. It does not appear to be going away yet. I am so afraid of something going wrong. I have backed off my activity levels and am elevating and icing a number of times a day.
 
I am so sorry you are having this pain and concern! I can't help you with that, but I do want to tell you that you should never feel badly about voicing your concerns. What is happening to you and your knee is very important to you, so it matters just as much as someone else's problems. You are important and I wish you an answer to this problem!
 
I have that same weird pain but mostly only pain I have left .



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had the same pain the first time going down my shin about 3 inches. This time it is going further down my leg. The PA from the first one told me it had to do with the stem placed in the bone and the bone growing over it. I'm not sure if this is true but it seems to make sense to me. Maybe @Josephine can answer the question.
 
I think many of us get that weird shin pain. I think it's all part of the recovery. Remember there was hammering going on in the operation.
Josephine will explain it better, and may correct me, but the way I think of it is that bone is a living thing and can be traumatized by the surgery and the surgery does a number on your soft tissue in various areas on your leg. They stay in a very sensitive state for months. Sometimes it's clearly related to activity and sometimes for no reason you can pin down.
I found for a while the weather seemed to have an effect too. Luckily that went away.
 
Thank you for all of your replies. I am hoping that it is muscular, as suggested. I will see where this goes in the next few days...hopefully it will settle down! I read the article Josephine suggested, but the diagrams show the typical pain to be in a different part than where I am feeling it. My sharp pain is just to the left of the bottom of my scar...still, hoping it is all tendons and muscles that are complaining.
 
I have been having that same "bone pain" for some time. It's gotten better, but there are times when it's an excruciating, burning ache all the way down my lower leg into my ankle. My OS's PA says it's typical, so I'm not worried about it. She says that since the leg was re-aligned, the area distal (further away) will take time to get used to it's new position. It seems to have abated a bit, but still comes on if I'm doing anything that requires firing of the calf muscles in any other way than walking. It can go away in seconds, but it's annoying.
Hang in there, PRACTICE PATIENCE!
 
Okay folks....13 weeks post-op. My knee is still sore and moderately swollen. I am still relying on my cane when out of the house. I still limp noticeably. Stairs going up are barely doable foot over foot...coming down, forget it. Swelling below the bottom of my scar and feels bruised when I touch it. Seriously, when does this end?? :bawl:
 
I hear you there.i have the same feeling. So tired of it. I hope you have a better day tomorrow :)
Wishing you a speedier recovery .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Snowdrop,
13 weeks is still early in this yearlong or more recovery.
My knee is still sore and moderately swollen.
Most likely you need more Rest, Ice, and Elevation, when you can.
I still limp noticeably.
Do you limp with the cane? If so you need more support. Walking with a limp only reinforces limping. If you have a PT you like, they can help with your walking.
Stairs going up are barely doable foot over foot...coming down, forget it.
Going up comes back sooner than going down, it takes time.
I also was on the slow train to recovery, very frustrating, but you will get there. :tantrum:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom