Guest viewing is limited

TKR Snowdrop made it to the other side!<

Two things that might help with getting over the limping:
1. Concentrate on walking by striking the ground first with your heel, then rolling your foot forward, until you push off with your toes, as shown in this picture:
[Bonesmart.org] Snowdrop made it to the other side!<
If you can lengthen your stride, it will also help with knee extension.

2. If you can, find a full-length mirror and watch yourself walking slowly.

You do need to be able to extend your knee almost fully, in order to not limp.
Keep using the cane until you aren't limping any more.
If you have a good PT, ask for help in improving your gait.

I hope this helps.
 
Thank you @Celle , for your advice. I am focusing more on my walk and gait, which in turn makes me slow down and that's probably a good thing. You get to the point where you think you're almost back to normal and begin rushing around and that's when things go awry. I am slowing down and concentrating more now. I no longer go to PT, so I am on my own. Starting to feel a bit better...even forgettting to take meds, so I think that's a good sign. I just need to strengthen my quads and hopefully feel strong enough to lose the cane some day. Stronger quads should help me with the stairs too.
 
It's only just 3 months since your surgery. Your quads will keep strengthening themselves, with daily use. No need to worry or rush! :thumb:
 
Each stage of recovery has its frustrations. At your point it's that you can do a lot, but you're not quite there yet. It feels like you will never be "normal." But month by month, if not week by week you should notice improvement coming naturally.
 
Thanks for the encouragement @kneeper . I keep trying to remind myself of this. Spring is here and there is so much I want to do already! Just how much patience can one have, lol? The other knee is definitely taking a beating.
And HI right back at you, @Freedom ! How are you doing??
 
FOUR MONTHS!!! Honestly, I never thought I would make it out! Let me tell you the latest...I am feeling so, so good! Yes, I still have occasional pain if I do too much, but for the most part I am pain free. Getting up after sitting for a long time or after sleeping causes some stiffness. But this is nothing compared to how I felt pre-tkr. A few steps later and I feel good.

The biggest difference I see is the ability to walk for a couple of hours (ie shopping etc) without scouting out a place to sit. Before tkr, I was constantly looking ahead for a place to park my butt, be it a bench, a wall or a rock! Now it doesn't even occur to me. Sure I am tired after a long walk, but a 15 minute rest and I'm good to go!

I am still limited on the stairs though...up, no problem...down, well, I still wave everyone on ahead of me as I can't do foot over foot yet. The same problem applies to going down any sort of incline. But I am not discouraged anymore...I know the time will come that I can do it on my own!

The Tylenol people will probably see their revenues decline somewhat...I am no longer keeping them in business, ha! Some Tylenol for arthritis gets me through the night just fine. My dogs are even lying on my legs now and it doesn't wake me up!

So, for those of you that are following behind me in your recovery, be assured that it does get better. For some it may be quicker, for others it may take a little longer. The important thing is to carry on and keep trying. Be patient with yourself and listen to your body...it will tell you what you need to do!

Thank you Bonesmart for helping me through those dark days/weeks when I thought it would never end. I learned so much from everyone here and never felt like I was going through this alone. This site is a blessing.

I will check back in later! There is a garden and some sunshine waiting for me outside....:flwrysmile:
 
Hooray! Wonderful update!

Like you, I am pain free, can walk and walk . . . well, the new knee can. My right is really sore and keeps me awake at night; that one goes on June 1. Stairs - up I can do but I have to focus; down will come in time.
 
@Freedom , such good news about your new knee! I hope the other one gets a smooth recovery...best of luck on the 1st!
 
Snowdrop....what an uplifting post! Thanks so much for taking time to detail how well you're doing with your recovery. Believe me, your words will help others more than you know. I hope you took good advantage of that sunshine!
 
:yay:Great report! I'm glad you're doing so well. Thanks for letting us know about your recovery as it gives the rest of us still in the beginning a view of how life will be.:flwrysmile:
 
@snowdrop Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know how you are doing!!

Your post has done tremendous good for those who are struggling through the dark days of recovery and are looking for hope. You have shown them what it is all about and that there is light at the end of the tunnel!
 
@snowdrop I'm jealous!! I wish I could walk and walk, but the soreness in my lower leg is getting me down. I'm encouraged by your recovery, since our surgery dates are practically identical! You go!!
 
@campdrama , don't be discouraged! Like you, I was thinking that it was never going to get better. But one day, out of the blue, I felt stronger than before. I gulped down some Tylenol and headed out the door. My walks were short at first because like you, I would have pain. But each day got better. Believe me, I am in pain at the end of 4 km, but I simply think of what an accomplishment it is and I feel great! Keep on walking a bit at a time, a day at a time. I am going with the expectation that it will be a full year of recovery...puts it all into perspective. I am still way better off than I was pre-surgery.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom