Guest viewing is limited

TKR Snowdrop made it to the other side!<

Oh, I hear you about the energy thing alright. It is unbelievable! Even after three kids, I have never felt such exhaustion. I am resting, elevating and icing faithfully. Today I am looking forward to a wonderful (and much needed) shower and then PT at the hospital. That is it for the day!
I hear you. My first shower was such an "event" I had to rest afterward. But it felt great!
 
Getting the staples out will be a bit pinchy but not a big deal for most of us--other that you're so glad to get them out. :) But getting out and about, sitting in the waiting room etc. will likely wipe you out.
 
My calf pain was the absolute worst, most painful part of the whole TKR experience! It felt like someone had replaced my calf with a few, painful golf balls.! It lasted about 3 weeks and they ran all the tests for DVT but then it just gradually eased off.

Staples out, one or two bee stings, but a doddle really and mine were well crusty from 2 nights bleeding on day 1&2! Sorry all, TMI?!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good news is that my calf pain has subsided considerably! I think my PT really helped by ultrasounding and massaging it yesterday. I also took it extra easy today by foregoing any trips downstairs or even showering. I have new pain in the front of my knee now, but I think all those feelings are coming from the heavy bruising that is finally happening. Bruising on the calf is going green/yellow while the front of the knee is entering the dark purple/blue stage. Very psychadelic leg at the moment! Groovy.

I was very lucky to have a clean surgical site. Absolutely no oozing or bleeding from the get go. Hopefully this will make staple removal easier.
 
So, here I am 11 days post-op. Last week was rough, I will not lie. After all the calf pain and visits to PT and the ER, I was completely spent. I made a point of doing absolutely nothing all weekend, except take a shower. My calf is so, so much better...just a small amount of tightness after I've been immobile for a few hours. I seem to be able to walk it off fairly easily. My flexion is still very poor, but I try to do my gentle heel slides a couple of times a day.

I had my first post-op visit with my OS today and the first thing I did was thank him for taking that arthritic pain away. This post-op pain is so different and feels like a healing type of pain, and one where muscles are taught and waking up. He had a look at today's xrays and is very pleased with everything. My surgical site is dry and there is minimal bruising and swelling. The staples came out as well. It wasn't bad, but a couple of them pulled some skin up with them, so they were rather ouchie. Two days of this dry dressing and I can take a shower bandage free! Hurray!

One recurring issue I have been having since being home is light headedness and wooziness. It even happened today while I had to stand for three consecutive xrays. He explained that my hemoglobin is most likely not up to normal levels yet. It makes sense. Now I get to eat yummies like almonds, beef, and cheese! Oh, the sacrifices I must make...

The knee feels so much better without the staples, that's for sure. I go to PT tomorrow for the first time without the calf pain and the staples. I still need to remind her about the dizziness. Each day is a little better...I can manage those 16 stairs so much better than last week! I can get my own leg in and out of the car without hubby's help! I can even make the beds in two bedrooms! And today, I actually went down to the kitchen and sauteed an onion and some beef as prep for tonight's dinner! Don't laugh...this was a major feat for me. As always, one day at a time....
 
I made a point of doing absolutely nothing all weekend, except take a shower. My calf is so, so much better...just a small amount of tightness after I've been immobile for a few hours. I seem to be able to walk it off fairly easily.
Well done you! That's the way to do it!
My flexion is still very poor, but I try to do my gentle heel slides a couple of times a day.
Well it will be after all they did to you and remember that you're only 1½ weeks out yet.
I can get my own leg in and out of the car without hubby's help!
Well, there'ya go! You're getting there already!
I go to PT tomorrow for the first time
Do not - I repeat DO NOT let them do any of the ouchie stuff on you. No forced bending, no 20-30 reps, nothing.
I can even make the beds in two bedrooms! And today, I actually went down to the kitchen and sauteed an onion and some beef as prep for tonight's dinner!
Naughty naughty! Remember this Activity progression for TKRs. NO such activities until week 4 at least.
 
@Josephine , thanks for the encouragement and the reminders. I trust my PT so far. And as for the beds, well...what can I say?:dubious:
 
I'm happy you are feeling better. You are doing well for less than 2 weeks postop.
 
You sound much more positive all round! Getting rid of that calf pain is a blessed relief! But be careful you don't overdo things, such early days....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today marks the 13th day post-op. All in all, I am feeling pretty good. Swelling in the leg is min-med, bruising is almost gone, calf pain is dealt with after standing and stretching. I had my first PT yesterday after getting my staples out. The site is still bandaged but looks completely dry. I was told not to remive the bandage for 72 hours...almost there! I was quite sore after PT, but it certainly wasn't unbearable. My only regret was pain medication...I had forgotten to ask for a refill the day before when I saw my OS, and had to wait until the pm of the next day. So, I had to make do with tylenol and advil...even managed to rummage out a tylenol 3 out of the bottom of my purse, lol. It was all ok. My ROM was 90, an improvement of 20 degrees from the week before! Flexion is still not there, but it will come.
I had a rough night trying to catch up with the sequence of meds, but by 8am I think I got it. Feeling good and starting to walk with my cane a little more(although I dropped it 3times, lol). I even prepared the coffee today! Each day is better, bit by bit. I am still icing and elevating and playing Cleopatra around here. Seriously, after 32 years of taking care of everyone else, I think I've earned my turn. :yes:
 
Enjoy your turn! I think that is the hardest thing as the one that always takes care of everyone - letting things slide and letting someone else take care of you. I sure enjoyed my turn - although it appears to be coming to a fast end! :loll:I am glad you got your meds sorted out. Remember - you shouldn't be masking pain at PT. Don't let them hurt you. Your knee will be very angry with you if you do.
 
@Timetolive , I will definitely take it easy at PT tomorrow. I don't want to have to deal with any extra swelling or pain! It's bad enough in the evenings already. Anyone else finding that? I have a hard time getting settled enough to catch some sleep. But when I finally do, then the sleep is sweet ( until the bladder wakes me up).
 
Nights have always been the worse after my TKR. I thought that since there wasn't any distractions the pain would just be the only thing happening then. Oh and then I agree the bladder decides to wake me up!
 
Post-op Day 15... just when you think everything is coming along nicely, your 70lb retriever decides to jump on your leg while you're lying in your recliner. Yes, go ahead and grimace and wince (and swear)...I sure did. And then have a good cry because you haven't had one since before surgery. Leg is fine, don't worry. He landed on the shin below the scar thank goodness. But those tears? Wow. Made me realize how fragile I was after all, even though I was feeling pretty good. I think today is going to be one of those "take it easy" days...
 
OH MY!!!! I feel for you. I was in tears when my little 18 lb. Jack Russel jumped on my leg one day. Can't imagine the pain if my 105 lb. Rottwieler were to have done it. :yikes:
 
I'm glad you're okay! Did he at least get you a few more degrees of extension?

Love dogs, have two, but my they can be stinkers! My little Bodie specialized in squarely "hitting" the back of my TKR knee with her front paws while I was walking, which would immediately collapse my leg. Whenever she was excited (like whenever we came back from a 10 minute errand) my son would try to distract her while I swirled my cane around behind to ward her off. She was positively determined to get that knee and often succeeded. When I'm seated my other little dog Penny likes to place her paws on my incision scar, apply pressure, and gently scrape downwards(!) I kept my incisions covered for a long time because of her, and I think she is the reason they were never particularly sensitive- desensitized early, by dog!
 
@Clipless, my knees have never been very sensitive. I have the same issue with my husky. His way of getting attention if he isn't getting any is to scratch me with his paws - right on my incision. It causes a moment of terror and usually a swear word or two. :dogsniff::puppysmooze:
 
Ouch! I have three small dogs. They always scratched my lower legs and the incision and they all jump up on top of me when I'm in my recliner. The 15 lb one walks on top of my knee! There are two of them on me right now.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom