Guest viewing is limited

TKR Smarttoys recovery

@foodiex2 I just thought you commenting on my late night snack. MMMMM.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad your doing so well and your pain is managed so well. I definitely did not want to know what was going on in the OR even though I'm a nurse. I just had sedation and a nerve block and not general anesthesia. Hearing someone with a drill or a hammer would have been totally frightening to me. They did wear pretty cool looking spacesuits though!
 
I had a restless night of sleeping. Not too much pain but I think all the naps and resting yesterday made me restless.
I should be going home today around noon

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just had the last PT visit for my hospital stay. Flexion 107, extension 0. I sure it will fluctuate quite a bit over the next couple weeks after I get home. Anxious to get home so I can elevate and ice properly.

John
 
Made it home and started icing and elevating right away. I'm glad to be in my own bed again.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
 
I'm glad you're home. Be careful about about overdoing things too much now. We all try to get back to normal life too quickly. Don't worry if your numbers drop a little for just that reason. I hope you have a peaceful night!
 
Great numbers and back home. You are doing so well.
 
Slept well last night. Only woke to take meds and go to the bathroom. My leg has really stiffened up with swelling and bruising has really spread. I really wish my wound drain had not leaked and had stayed in longer at the hospital.

My stretches and exercises were hard to do with all the swelling. Trying my best to keep elevated and iced. I'm not sure how effective the icing is through all the bandages.

John
 
Don't worry about the exercises right now. You just want to give that me a chance to rest. It will get better soon. I promise. The first couple of weeks are a bit of a roller coaster. The bandages will block some of the cold, but any is better than none.
 
Does anyone know if it's normal to feel a clunk or catch in the knee every time the knee is bent and straightened? For example doing heel slides and leg extensions? I also get it when walking around. I'm hoping it is just due to swelling which I have a lot of right now.
 
I think it's totally normal. My patella was catching last week (5 weeks post op) when going from bent to straight, but not this week. My first TKR clicked for the first 6 or 8 weeks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow congrats on the new knee can't believe you were awake the whole time. No thanks :flabber:
Sounds like your recovery is going very well, that's great to hear. :happydance:
 
@smarttoys, I had the clicking sensation when they walked me the day after surgery - they told me it was normal. I have read others have had it also. I am sure someone more experienced than me can tell you more. The PA told me that the knee has a "stop" that will not let it bend the wrong way, so I can trust it. You are doing great. Yes, the swelling is going to get worse and the tightness that goes along with it is intense at times. My knee is so swollen right now that the skin is shiny - stretched so tight. It is impossible to bend it like they did in the hospital at this point. I had the drain also, but still have an excessive amount of bruising - so I think you are doing fine. Mine is due to the Xarelto. I am on Day 11 - just a little ahead of you. Try to stay on top of your pain, drink plenty of water, take your stool softeners, rest, and try to look forward to this "recovery time" being over.
 
There is an article in the library about clunking/clicking with the new knees. It is normal unless you experience more pain or increased swelling.
 
Ha ha looks like we are all asking about the clunking clicking today :egypdance:
 
My right knee still clunks, almost four years after surgery, while my left knee, at only 14 months old, doesn't do it at all. Knees are weird!
 
@macduf387 a lot of people have said there was no way they would watch a surgery like that on themselves. Including my physical therapist today.

Timetolive, Clipless, Kelpie, Celle, it definitely makes me feel better that I am not alone with some of these issues. I had my first PT appointment today and he also thinks the clunking feel is most likely due to swelling at this point. Swelling is a big issue right now so he did not want me to rush the stretches and exercises which was exactly what I wanted to hear.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom