Guest viewing is limited

TKR Smarttoys recovery

11 days out of surgery and I had my third PT appointment this evening. I'm still at 90 degrees flexion and 0 to -2 degrees extension. I usually come in measuring 0 extension but after a few stretches its at -2. At my very first visit my extension was at -3 so I guess they want to keep it close to that and not lose ground. I'm happy with 0 but he said that legs normally have a couple degrees of hyper extension like my right leg does.

I like my therapist so far but time will tell. He made the mistake of telling me that statistically with TKR's my goal should be 120 degrees flexion by 6 weeks. If I get there great but I'm definitely not going to force myself to get there. I told him I was happy with 90 degrees at less than two weeks. If he gets too pushy on making progress I may choose to do my own physical therapy.

On a lighter note. I went to the gym earlier today for the first time since my surgery. It was nice to get out and exercise. I did no leg work. Just some upper body and core. My gym has an arm cycle so I was able to get a little cardio in that way. I got tired quickly but it was still nice to do it. Makes me feel a bit more normal again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You're at 90 degrees now and that's good. ROM does tend to fluctuate, so don't worry if the next measurement is a few degrees different, either more or less.
At this early stage, your knee's ability to bend is controlled by the amount of swelling that you have. That's why it's important to rest, ice and elevate your knee.

120 degrees by 6 weeks is a very optimistic goal, and not one that most people achieve. 120 by 6 months is more realistic, so don't be pressured into doing lots of activity in an effort to increase ROM fast.
 
That's great that you felt well enough to go to the gym! I've been waiting to be mostly rid of my limp, and for my knee to be a little less sensitive to change. I know myself- when I'm at the gym I can't resist all the leg machines and the elliptical.
 
@Clipless I know what you're saying. I was eyeing up the elliptical when I entered and exited the gym. I wasn't too tempted to work the legs today because I knew I had PT later.
 
Wow I'm really impressed!! I was just glad to make it to my bathroom and walk the circle around the inside of my house at day 11. You're doing really well. :dancy:
 
120 degrees by 6 weeks is a very optimistic goal, and not one that most people achieve. 120 by 6 months is more realistic, so don't be pressured into doing lots of activity in an effort to increase ROM fast.
Celle has a much more polite response to 120 degrees by 6 weeks than I do. My response is :rotfl:
Sure, it's great if you can get it, but lots of us don't get it that early. Hang in there.
 
That is impressive this early, I am at 19 days since my RTKR, I went to the gym per my PT to try the stationary bike but still only rocking back and forward, haven't made a complete rotation. Any experience from others with stationary bike? and when you were able to do complete rotation?
 
Hi @doglife
Welcome!
Would you care to start a thread of your own, for your own recovery, so that we can advise you there?
 
Judy, (bottomshollow) has started a thread for you, doglife.
 
@doglife It really depends on the stationary bike. Some have a larger rotation than others. I have been able to do full rotations on my portable pedal exerciser. The kind that you use while sitting in a chair. I can only rock back and forth on a conventional exercise bike.
 
Oh okay, yeah PT said she uses as a "warm up" but usually take a while for full rotation. Patience and time.
 
@smarttoys , what kind of portable exerciser do you have? I have a very large recumbent bike downstairs - that I cannot get to yet, and was going to buy a portable one for upstairs.
 
@Timetolive The one I purchased from Amazon was the Drive Medical Pedal Exerciser. I ordered it right before my surgery and at that time it was only $17. Now I see that the price is around $26. There are quite a few different brands and styles available. I just ordered the cheapest one I could find at the time because I knew I was only going to use it for recovery. It also had decent reviews. It seems sturdy enough for what I want to use it for.

John
 
Thanks John. Looks like a good value and the reviews look fair and honest. Do you use it on carpeting? Does it move around much? Cyber Monday shopping!!! How are you doing in your recovery?
 
@Timetolive It does move some. I find it best to use it on carpet or move it up against a wall or piece of furniture to keep it from moving away from you while pedaling.

Recovery is going ok. I've been having a little more pain the last couple days. I'm just trying to rest, ice, and elevate as much as possible. I probably overdid it walking around a store shopping with my family yesterday.

My two week followup appointment is tomorrow. Hopefully everything checks out well.
 
I probably overdid it walking around a store shopping with my family yesterday.
My two week followup appointment is tomorrow. Hopefully everything checks out well.
Good luck with your follow up appointment.

Yes, you did overdo it by going shopping. You should be spending almost all your time at home, resting, and not start shopping trips until at least a moth after your surgery - and then only very quick trips. Your job right now is to rest, ice and elevate your leg.
Did you read this article? Activity progression for TKRs
 
Yes, you did overdo it by going shopping. You should be spending almost all your time at home, resting, and not start shopping trips until at least a moth after your surgery - and then only very quick trips. Your job right now is to rest, ice and elevate your leg.
Did you read this article? Activity progression for TKRs

@Celle Yes I did read it, I know, I'm a bad boy.:bignono:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom