TKR Smarttoys recovery

Makes me smile to see you doing so well. Running with the dogs is something that has been so far beyond me the last few years that the idea that I could actually do it again is exciting and motivational! Good for you!:dogwalk:


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Thanks KarriB, Celle, and @mollygram . Before my surgery I was a bit worried that I wouldn't get to run agility with my dog again. I'm glad I can continue to do it. I have talked to different people at agility trials that have had joint replacements or are considering it. So far the people that have had it done are getting around the courses quickly and running there dogs well.

I spoke with a woman from Canada last weekend that had terrible knee pain with bad OA in both knees and was having trouble finding a surgeon to help her remain active. So far she was just told to stop doing agility, live with the pain, and come back when she was 70. I believe that she is in her 50's now. She is passionate about working with her dogs in agility so I hope she finds some relief and an OS that can help her. It was painful to watch her hobble through the courses.
 
70? Wow that's a long wait. I have a feeling things are different in Canada.
 
If her surgeon says she must wait until she is 70, she needs to find a new surgeon. Knee replacement should have nothing to do with age. It should all be about the state of the knee and how that affects your quality of life.
 
So, it's been a little while since I did an update. My knee has been doing pretty well. I'm staying active with dog agility, walking the dogs, bicycling, playing with the kids, working 10 plus hours days and on my feet all day. I started riding motocross again but no plans to actually race any time soon. My two girls got interested in motocross so they kind of drew me back into it too.

I do have a bit of a dilemma. I knew fairly early on in my recovery that my ligaments were not balanced perfectly and I have some looseness in my lateral collateral ligament. For the most part that does not cause a problem except for a little soreness and swelling on the outside of the knee when I have been a bit too rough on it. My OS thinks that the extra movement in the joint is irritating the soft tissues around my LCL (the outside of my knee). The possible fixes would be a slightly thicker spacer or a revision to a new femoral implant so a spacer with a center post can be used. The plan would be in surgery to try fitting a thicker spacer and if that was not satisfactory then proceed to the revision implant.

While I would like to have a bit more stability in my knee I don't want to end up worse than I am now. I definitely do not want to lose any flexion which is around 130 now. I am able to do all the things I want to do. I just have a bit of pain and swelling afterwards, depending on what I'm doing. Going through another recovery right now would be a pain financially and physically.

Any thoughts?
 
Hello again, @smarttoys .
How nice to hear from you - but it's not good to hear that you have a problem with your knee.
I guess whether or not you have the additional surgery depends on how much the problem is inconveniencing you.

I'm going to ask @Josephine for her opinion.
 
The possible fixes would be a slightly thicker spacer or a revision to a new femoral implant so a spacer with a center post can be used.
These are actually both revisions. But the device with a centre post is a cruciate sacrificing knee like this which will prevent any side-to-side movement which has likely been your problem.

[Bonesmart.org] Smarttoys recovery
 
I had total revision on my left knee and have flexion to about 130. (Due to the size of my leg I can't bend it farther). You still can have great flexion. I found it easier recovering from that surgery than the original TKR.
 
So nice to see that one can have a very active life after a tkr! One of my concerns is that I may not be able to do some of the more fun and active stuff I used to do. Sorry to hear that you are having some issues now. I'm sure that the last thing you want is yet another recovery. Sending positive thoughts your way!
 
@Josephine , do you know of any negatives using the implant with the center post? Less natural movement, any differences in flexion, etc?
 
None at all. I have one in my left knee and the cruciate sparing in my right knee. Can't tell the difference!
 
@Fire wolf
Thank you Marie,
I have been fortunate in my recovery and in being able to do the things I want to do.


That is partly why I don't know if I should mess with it and possibly lose some mobility. Of course, starting over with another recovery doesn't sound all that great either. I still think that if I was older and a little less active the knee would be fine the way it is.
 
Does your OS think you'll lose some mobility after the revision?

My OS does not necessarily think I will lose mobility. It's more me worrying about the possibility of losing some mobility and not being able to continue doing some of the things I enjoy. Basically the same worries I had before my TKR.
 
As young and active as you are, I would think getting your knee fixed right would last you possibly for the rest of your life. If you can live with it the way it is, then no problem. But, if you want it better, why wait?
 
John! What a great surprise to stop in and see that you have posted. I miss our dog discussions! I am sorry you are having some pain and swelling. You were a week behind me. I still have swelling (I want to blame some of mine on the Xarelto fiasco) and pain when I do a lot of stooping - as in gardening. It seems you are doing most of the things you want to do. Does your swelling limit your mobility? Personally, I know when I swell, I lose some of my ROM. It goes away and life goes on. I would ask myself these questions: is my swelling limiting my activity? Does the pain stop me from leading the life I want? Am I ready to devote another 6 - 12 months to my recovery? Remember the rolling stools? Hahaha! You are a young man, but surgery and recovery are surgery and recovery. Your girls are active now. Work sounds like it is booming. Only you know the answer to these questions. My OS has told me that these knees are not natural and they will perform and act differently - but - they sure are a lot better than the old damaged knees we had. He also said some people are swellers and others are not. I am not helping any, just hopefully making you think what is life really like for you now and how ready are you to start again?

Now....the important stuff! Did your daughter stop doing agility? How are your dogs? You should see Charlie now! Quite the little bossy pants sometimes! When he is outside and wants in - he barks to come in! The first time he did this, we wondered - what dog is that? Hahaha! Our shy little beagle has found his voice! He still is not a barker and does not bay, but he is such a loveable dog. Thank you for all the encouragement you gave me when we first struggled with that timid little dog. We went to obedience class twice for the socialization and he SOMETIMES listens - well most of the time for me and sometimes for my husband. Thank you again. I hope you come to the decision that is right for you and your knee. I still cannot believe it is coming up on TWO years!
 
@smarttoys I love your update... I have always wanted to do dog agility courses and have a dog trained to do that. It it nice knowing that you can do that after a knee replacement. Hope everything continues to go well for you.
 
@JJ65 there are quite a few people doing agility with their dogs after knee replacement. I returned to agility with my dog around 8 weeks after my surgery. It took about 5-6 months before I was getting around the courses really well.
 
@Timetolive Hello Janis, it's good to hear from you again. I'm glad your knee and Charlie are doing well. My daughter still comes to agility trials with me but she does not run Buddy. He is too much for her to handle and he keeps trying to leave the course during a run to try finding me. She does get to run other people's dogs once in a while and she practices at home with our little dog Sam.

My swelling does limit my mobility a little from time to time but it doesn't limit my activities. Based on that, I think it would probably be best to live with it for a while. Who knows, maybe in another year it will be even better.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom