Guest viewing is limited

TKR Slow recovery from TKR

We appreciate your kind and thoughtful words in regard to the forum @beralc There is something to be said about sharing your recovery with others in real time...because they get it! Your little group of ladies here are a joy to follow and support. Group hug! :loveshwr:
 
Yep no worries I do know how to do all those things @Jockette , there’s a tendency to just “quote this message” on other forums I use so I’d got into that habit, but I can totally see that it keeps things simpler.
 
@Layla yes, think you’re right there. Even if we all have slightly differing symptoms knowing when someone says, I know how you feel, you know that they probably do ❤️
 
@westiemom , haven’t heard from you in a bit, how are you and the pups?? Slogging along here, day 6 of a nasty flu/cold, feeling a bit better yesterday and today. Haven’t been doing much PT, a little walking. Snow coming tonight, then very cold again, waiting for spring. Please send some warm weather up north!
 
@westiemom , haven’t heard from you in a bit, how are you and the pups?? Slogging along here, day 6 of a nasty flu/cold, feeling a bit better yesterday and today. Haven’t been doing much PT, a little walking. Snow coming tonight, then very cold again, waiting for spring. Please send some warm weather up north!
Yes how are you doing @westiemom ?
 
@Oldped @beralc

I haven't really been on here cause I'm just too frustrated and tired. I did good on Tuesday going to the doctor and lunch and grocery store, then I swelled up and hurt too bad to do much of anything till today, Saturday. I'm so tired of complaining and feeling awful. the 12th is 3 months since surgery and I don't think I've made much progress at all. My leg has been aching weird - nothing like this in the past 3 months - I'm tired of hurting.
Our weather down south here has gone downhill, with cold and wind and drizzle and grey. Snow is predicted again this week. And freezing rain and ice. I was supposed to go get my hair done Wednesday, but that's the worst day of the week and the hills and mountains around here are treacherous in winter. I'm showing my grey roots, my purple is disappearing and I feel old and worn out.
Hope things are going better for you both. I don't think spring can come soon enough for me.
P.S. I haven't used my walker or cane around the house since Tuesday; maybe that's why I hurt weird. And being swollen means no exercises for me. Just sad:blackcloud:
 
Sorry you’re feeling down, @westiemom …. Sometimes that’s just part of the deal with recovery. But it does sound like you may be pushing yourself a bit too much too soon. You’re 3 months out of what can be a year or more before getting back to normal again. I suggest you not try to do marathon days like your trip to the doctor, lunch, and grocery store. Do one errand a day for a while longer until your body’s strength comes back. And if you are limping around the house or when you go out, you do need to use a walker or cane. Not doing that can slow your recovery and cause other parts of your body to hurt. You don’t do your knee any favors by trying to go it without an aid when you need it. Only ditch the walking aid when you are able to walk without it and have a good, strong stride. When you’re still weak, that cane or walker can allow to walk more normally and that strengthens your muscles MUCH better than gimping around.

I hope the weather clears for you soon. The sun can do wonders for helping you feel better.
 
@westiemom , I hear you and want to you to know I’m feeling pretty much the same. I’m a bit farther out then you-3 1/2 months, still struggling too. I have been sick the past week , probably flu so no energy, just laying around. My knee is stiff and usually feels like a log. I’m not sleeping well, up every couple hours coughing or to the bathroom. . We just got about 8inches of snow, now going to be below zero. My bend is still not great.I try to walk laps in the house but hard. We need spring to come!! I’m trying to be patient, we just have to endure and try to be kind to ourselves.
 
@Jamie - in my head I know you're right, but it's so hard to be patient. But just stood at stove for almost an hour cooking and bam - my knee is hurting again. Will go back to using the walker.

@Oldped - I think I've lost my ROM again. It feels so swollen and I still get so tired when I do anything. I'm tired of always asking my DH to help me with things. I feel bad that after 3 months I still can't do much around the house without then taking two days off to recover.
Our weather here is cold but a tiny peek of sun. It's just going to get worse till (if we're lucky) a week from now. Wanted to plan my garden but this weather just defeats me.
Hopefully your flu/cold/bug will be over soon. I swear my body is just trying to beat me down. I have a sore throat today; I haven't been out since Tuesday, not even to step outside on the deck.
We will keep each other in our thoughts and try to be patient with this frustrating ride. :)
 
Ah I’m really sorry you’re having a rotten time it seems we’re all hitting a slump. @westiemom @Oldped @Andypandy. Sending big hugs to you all x

@westiemom . I suggest you not try to do marathon days like your trip to the doctor, lunch, and grocery store. Do one errand a day for a while longer until your body’s strength comes back.
Couldn’t agree more @Jamie It’s a hard lesson to learn when all you want to do is get on with your life, but you actually end up making things harder and often means you can’t do much after it. You actually end up working against yourself. So spacing things out will feel better x
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, westiemom.

I am sorry you're feeling so defeated. Remember that healing isn't linear, trust your journey and keep going. Small victories add up and I believe you're stronger than you think. Joint replacement recovery definitely tests our patience and it's often difficult seeing others blow by you and therefore the frequent reminder that no two recoveries are alike. Celebrate the victories of each day, no matter how small. It will all come together for you over time.
Hugs :friends:
@westiemom
 
@Layla

Thanks for the reminder. I sometimes need all the affirmation I can get. Today is just a really down day for me; this grey weather certainly doesn't help.
 
But just stood at stove for almost an hour cooking and bam - my knee is hurting again. Will go back to using the walker
There is no way I could have stood at a stove for that length of time for many months. I had a pretty good recovery and was walking over 10,000 steps a day by 3 months but standing for even 15 minutes made me very sore and tight.
I think you are doing too much.
 
@westiemom, thinking of you today, we just have to keep going like slow and steady turtles. I too feel bad I’m not pulling my weight around the house, see things that need to be done but have to let that go. Sunny but very cold here for next week, I’m done with winter. Pet your pups for me, I’m missing mine today. Hubby showed me picture of a cute mini doodle and made me sad. My sweet pup passed last March at 12 from heart failure, still have my kitties though.
 
. I too feel bad I’m not pulling my weight around the house, see things that need to be done but have to let that go.
Totally agree @Oldped. I think as soon as we see see any physical improvement we think we should be pushing for normality. It’s really difficult to hold back. And we lost our Black Lab last year age 15, still miss her.
@westiemom I think we might have unrealistic expectations of ourselves at times and that probably gets worse as time goes by. I really hope you find the balance between moving forward and moving too fast. Sending hugs.
 
@beralc , sorry about your pup, labs are the best. Our neighbors have an older lab, she comes to our back door every morning for a treat and an ear scratch. To you and @Andypandy thanks for sending us in the USA two of my most favorite shows- “Calk the Midwife” and “All Creatures Great and Small”. Do you watch these series?
 
@Oldped yes she was a brilliant family dog. All Creatures was originally made in 1970s and I believe they remade in 2020. I haven’t seen the 2020 one but the 1970s one was an favourite Which are you watching. Yes I watch CTM. It’s nice to take a step back in time.

Sorry Mods understand this is straying. :wink:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom