TKR Slow But Sure Recovery

I iced and elevating the whole time I was sitting or laying down for the first 6 weeks or so. You can't over-ice if you have a cloth between you and the ice source. Are you elevating 'toes about nose'? Just having your leg propped up on a recliner or ottoman is not sufficient to force that fluid down to your kidneys. Your leg needs to be much higher than that. Maybe that's why you are seeing the swelling going down any.
 
Are you elevating 'toes above nose'?
More like heels up lol

I have the ice bags in a pillow case.

IMG_1518.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Yeah it's sort of hard to get the leg up that high without lying down on the bed or maybe putting something like a lounge doctor pillow on the recliner or bed. I have this unusual recliner (anti-gravity recliner by Southern Motion if you want to google it) that goes so far back you think you're going to slide out of the back of it. I've never seen another one that would elevate that high without wedge support. You might check out a recliner like the Southern motion Anti-Gravity Recliner. This isn't my exact chair but it is similar.

You're doing more steps than me! I'm still waddling around the kitchen and that's about it - haha! I think closer to 4 weeks I started taking short walks - of course we're all different in recovery and how that feels and how the knee reacts. Hope you are feeling good today!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with, sisterinhim's, suggestions on icing. My OS's PA mentioned early on that swelling for some can last a full year, usually easing over time. Icing and elevation do help and as far as the elevating part goes, it is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.
Have a great Wednesday!
@C'mon
 
@sistersinhim
Thanks!!
Next icing session my heel will be above my forehead!!
Any higher I will need to go to bed or get Traction Bars, I'm looking on Amazon now for Traction bars lol J/K!! I appreciate the advice!!

@selketine
That's a great recliner!! I will def look into one with my next replacement. I took mendogal advice and cut my steps in half def not a good idea to rush things, hope your doing good today!!

@Layla
Thanks!! I'm convinced that my knee will only bend as far as the healing process will allow. When I wake up in the morning my leg is def bent a little more, this morning it looked almost 90*
You have a great day also!!
 
Slow is pro! It's a steep learning curve.

I was able to rent a lift chair which helped me significantly in the beginning.
 
Had my PT evaluation last night almost 4wks post-op, so apparently we misunderstood the discharge instructions which came with a PT script for 4 to 6 weeks which we both thought they said start in 4 to 6 weeks. Got a good report with what I've been doing at home from the PT paperwork exercises. I flex at 100* (70*@ 2wks) and have near 0* extension hard to tell with the swelling I still have. She said even if I started 2wks ago with the amount of swelling she saw in the pics we would of taken things slow anyways. I was able to stand and sit from a chair 5 times without hands, stand and walk heel toe 12 feet around the cone and back in 10 seconds, and can go up and down steps with both feet but that is really painfully hard ( like laying heel slides lol ) so I'm limiting that to just a few up and a few down. Still have a fair amount of swelling and def icing and elevating, all in all she thought I was in good shape for 4wks with no official PT, that starts tomorrow.
 
My surgeon is a revision/reconstruction specialist, and he doesn't even have people start PT until the 4 wk mark. He thinks it's a recipe for overdoing things. I know there is A LOT of differing opinions among orthopedists though.

I'm glad you are doing do well overall, and I do believe those of us who know what to do not or NOT to do tend to need less outside care anyway. I still can't get over your 100 degrees at 4 wks post-op. The jealousy is REAL!!!! :wowspring:
 
That's a great report! I think PT at 4-6 week mark is more useful anyway. All of the exercises you can pretty much do at home. I haven't seen any benefit to doing them in the office once you've been shown and can practice with the PT's help.
 
All of the exercises you can pretty much do at home. I haven't seen any benefit to doing them in the office once you've been shown and can practice with the PT's help.
Absolutely agree. I just had a couple of inpatient physio sessions- to teach me how to use the crutches and walk downstairs. I had an exercise booklet and I got some private pilates sessions with my excellent, and very gentle pilates teacher. I didn't do any strength work with bands or weights until about 5 months.
I now have almost full movement ( 150 degrees flexion/ zero extension). I was never, ever pushed or forced to do anything and I never experienced pain during or after my pilates sessions. My main other exercise was walking. I also iced and rested plenty.
I do think some people here are traumatised by over- zealous PT which causes pain and inflammation which is counterproductive.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great weekend! Thanks for sharing your progress with us, C'mon. :wave:
@C'mon
 
Thanks for the support guys!!
Pt yesterday started with some moist heat then stretching on the stretcher seat, crank it up till it gets uncomfortable not anything excruciating, 4 sets, marker moved a little each time. Stretching the extension exercise, pushdown hold 4sets. Leg lifts 5 sets. Stand behind the chair lift leg 10 reps 10 sets. Ice down and done!!

Def a little more than I've been doing at home but nothing intense!!
Have a great rest of the weekend!!
 
6wk post-op visit with Dr. today.
PT report from Monday has me at 114* flexion 2 extension.
Rode the bike with complete revolution's after some rocking back and forth for 8min. Taking the steps somewhat normally just slow and steady and a lot less painful than last week.
It's amazing how everyday it's just a little better than the day before.
Wishing everyone slow and steady progress!!!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom