TKR Slow But Sure Recovery

Re question about tourniquet: many of us ask for a copy of our surgical report. It answers so many questions about our individual procedure, and is handy to have on file.
 
Do you know if your surgeon used a tourniquet on your upper thigh?
You also look like you’re progressing well!!
Your outside walk last week got me feeling like going outside too, wife was against it but I talked her into it lol

I guess you go soon too for your 2wk post-op good luck!!
( 6’1” and shrinking lol )
Thanks! I got "yelled at" by my fiance as well.... on well :dubious:

Yes, I have my two week check-up is tomorrow with my surgeons PA.
 
2wk post-op today with surgeon, PA was on vacation, of course after making me wait 1.5hrs Dr said I’m behind on flexing 70* and good on extending 0* weight bearing good gait ok. Gotta get the bending exercises moving. I did forget to ask him if the swelling may be stopping the bend.
 
Swelling increases the pressure within the joint which can restrict movement and lead to stiffness.
Swelling also often causes pain making it difficult to fully bend or straighten your knee. Swelling can affect the muscles around the knee limiting their ability to contract effectively and contribute to movement.
So after all of that, in a word...YES, swelling is interfering with the bend.
Ice and Elevate to help ease the swelling. :ice:
Lucky you could see the surgeon over the PA. :thumb:
@C'mon
 
@Layla

Is 70* flex that bad at 2wks??

Thanks Layla I’m trying to not let him get into my head with bending. I can see slow improvements everyday with things like walking heel toe, putting slippers on, raising my leg into bed without the help of the other leg or the lasso.
 
Your flexion is ok!
My ortho's goal, and a lot of them, is 90 degrees at 6 weeks - and many of our members take longer.
 
Please don't let him get into you head. Many are led to believe in unrealistic timelines in regard to full recovery, so you're not alone. Complete recovery takes most a full year with many still noticing improvement into their second and third years post op, so lots of good to look forward to. Focus on that! :) Hope you sleep well tonight and tomorrow is a good day!
@C'mon
 
also have the same type and shape of bruise on the outside of my quad along the ITB.
I also had pretty spectacular but painless bruising on my thigh post my PKR.
I had a good recovery- so I wouldn't worry about it. It does seem to be very variable and not correlated with outcome.
 
Sounds like you are doing very well at 2 weeks! I'm guessing you don't have staples because you didn't mention getting them out, but I remember that felt like a help with my bend. The lying down heel slides were very hard to impossible for me with my right leg but the seated ones were ok and I did those. I might have used my other foot to help push the bend a bit but only to the point of a wee bit of discomfort and not pain.

I have a good bit of bruising, but I know my surgeon uses a tourniquet. I had more bruising with the right than this current knee but it is still quite spectacular! Most of it is along the outer side of my leg and on the back.
 
Dr said I’m behind on flexing 70* and good on extending 0* weight bearing good gait ok.
Actually, that is good for only 2 weeks. Your extension is exceptional! Most of us find that it takes longer for the extension to come in than the bend, and you are already ahead of the game with both of them!
 
Just finished stretching exercise 1 sitting heal slide hold at least 10sec min followed by a heel toe walk around x3sets

Today got the heel to touch!! And it looks less swollen too.
Saturday
IMG_1490.jpeg IMG_3250.jpeg

Aah ice time!!!
 
Last edited:
Still pretty swollen at 18 days, bruising is better, and everyday things seem to be getting easier!!!

I’m still icing faithfully 30min on 1hr off.
Went on a road trip over to see my pop at the facility and had gotten in 3000 steps with the cane for some support. Yesterday by the end of the day helping downstairs with groceries and all got 5500 steps. So I’m def getting my walks in and the sitting slides are getting me a little more ROM.
Wish the swelling would cooperate!!
 
The swelling can't "cooperate" if you're overtaxing the new knee.

My entire ortho team united around the slogan that in the early weeks Less is Better.

At 18 days I believe you're actually too active.

I recommend reducing your steps by 50% for a few days, and increasing icing to 45 minutes minimum per session while elevating "toes over nose."

If you start to see improvement, don't increase your walking by more than 10% every few days.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom