TKR Slow But Sure Recovery

6 days in and going downstairs the other day was exercise in itself. So I think I remember paying a lot of attention to your steps per day shouldn’t be incentive but more of a just see progression. Yesterday was a good day going down to the recliner and taking my walks and bathroom breaks, by just hopping onto the stairlift seat and trying to pivot and of course having to lasso my leg around while riding up and down causes me to use the quads and glutes and other muscles I wasn’t using just getting up walking and getting back in bed.

Last night while showering I noticed not only are the thigh muscles sore but a little black and blue on the outside between the hip and knee and a little in front too ( hoping that’s from the extra it takes to use the lift ) walking seems to be getting a little easier not having to hold up my weight on the walker as much.
 
Last edited:
Back down to the recliner I'm at 410 steps, here's a few pics.
Day 5 Day 6 Day 6
IMG_1483.jpeg . IMG_3222.jpeg IMG_3223.jpeg

Is it bad to cross your legs at the ankles if it don't hurt to do it?
 
Looking good!!! Really very little swelling and the bruising isn't bad at all.

I never heard of an injunction against ankle crossing. In fact, many of us, until the quads were fully activated, used our non-op leg as a handy "leg lifter" by sliding the non-op leg underneath the affected leg, hooking the non-op foot under the ankle of the op side.
 
Honestly don't know what, if anything, it correlates to.
I had zero postop bruising, despite a tendency to bruise, and some folks bruise hip to foot.
 
:wave:Your leg is looking good, C'mon.
Bruising can be due to the manipulation and trauma to surrounding tissues, or even from the positioning of your leg during surgery if it caused pressure.
Blood thinners to prevent clotting can also increase your risk of bruising. The bruising I experienced didn't show until seventeen days post op and it had already faded beyond the initial purple and red. Hopefully your bruising remains minimal and fades fast. Glad sleep was better for you last evening. I hope it continues.
@C'mon
 
Started using a cane inside yesterday with walker close by.
Went outside for a short stroll with walker yesterday also, trying to walk more heel to toe rather than a dragging gait.
Started rolling the leg onto it's side for sleeping and it feels so much better not sleeping on my back all night.

So I'am hanging my leg off the side of the bed for as long as I can which is something I did while in hip recovery for stretching the groin, hip, upper thigh, when the leg has been hanging long enough I try lifting it back in bed without the lasso, very tuff exercise but still better than brutal heel slides.

[Bonesmart.org] Slow But Sure Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Slow But Sure Recovery

Another stretching/bending exercise is the foot on the step like I'm going up with the bad and just hold and bend and hold and bend not excruciating but gets some good bending going.

Sitting heal slides are better than laying heel slides, I'm getting closer to hitting the step.

Ice time!!


IMG_1490.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I also deferred heel slides, after one try with my first replacement, until I could do them seated on a chair. Done very slowly and with deep breathing they were a great help to my recovery.
 
Just take your time.
So sorry that happened to you. I was really struggling trying to get out of the car, I was bending and twisting and pulling, I’m glad I didn’t hurt something else.

I’m basically trying to walk heel to toe and keep doing bending exercises I know from hip recovery it will all come slow but sure.
 
Just take your time.
So sorry that happened to you. I was really struggling trying to get out of the car, I was bending and twisting and pulling, I’m glad I didn’t hurt something else.

I’m basically trying to walk heel to toe and keep doing bending exercises I know from hip recovery it will all come slow but sure.
Sounds like you are doing really well.
 
C'Mon -

Looks like you're progressing VERY WELL!

I also have the same type and shape of bruise on the outside of my quad along the ITB.

Do you know if your surgeon used a tourniquet on your upper thigh? Often the bruising on the inner thigh and this area can be attributed to use of a tourniquet. I have read that some surgeons are actually moving away from use of a tourniquet. I've read that the major downside of not using a tourniquet can be that a blood transfusion can be required which carries it's own risks and many outpatient surgical centers will not perform blood transfusions and therefore the surgery has to be done in the hospital.

Keep up the great work and progress!
 
Yay for transitioning to the cane...another milestone along the way. :yay:
I hope you have a good week!
@C'mon
 
Do you know if your surgeon used a tourniquet on your upper thigh?
You also look like you’re progressing well!!
Your outside walk last week got me feeling like going outside too, wife was against it but I talked her into it lol.

I go for my 2wk check up Wednesday and will be seeing my surgeon, if I remember I will ask. I know the top of my knee to my groin is swollen and sore to the touch. I’ve been massaging and icing like crazy!!

I guess you go soon too for your 2wk post-op good luck!! I’m dreading getting into the car again. I’m gonna try the trash bag tip Layla gave me and this time I’m gonna go into the back seat instead of trying to swing my long legs into the front seat
( 6’1” and shrinking lol )
 
We normally suggest early TKR patients use the back seat for the very reason you stated, you don't have to swing as much. If you sit on the trash bag, (I used a large kitchen bag), and just pull your butt and legs over, it is so much easier than getting into the front seat. It helps to have someone lift your surgical leg, if you are unable to use your own non-surgical leg to do so. Trying to lift your new leg up by itself is extremely painful at your stage of recovery!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom