Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Sleepless in St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.
warning major rant....

This is the voice if defiance! I hope things improve but I'm tired of waiting. It seems that the knees are going to hurt no matter what. Sitting around the house w/ Ice is frustrating beyond words. It wouldn't be so bad if the ice and rest actually felt like they were helping, but nooooo the legs/ knees still hurt every time I stand up. They still hurt at night and keep me from sleeping. Meds don't seem to help.

I told Elissa to talk nice to her knee but all I want to do is call my knees "person knees". I'm tired of pushing off of chairs and leaning on things I want to be able to walk a reasonable distance unaided. I want to be able to sit at the computer and stand to get the phone w some reasonable fluidity and without pain but this ain't happen'.

So person knees I'm just going on with my life. To the best of my ability im gonna ignore my knees. We are at the same place as before BTKR. I hurt when walking, standing and at night. Sitting is most comfortable with legs on floor. I have 2 major papers to write and I can't write -think sitting in bed or a recliner w the laptop. The knees are just gona be stiff and painful while I type away at my desk.

< 5/10 pain will be ignored when possible.
 
ChrisO, you're ONLY 8 weeks into recovery, cut your knees some slack. You may think that icing and elevation don't help, but you don't notice because the progress is "glacial" in pace. Welcome to the im-Patient rank! But you know your knee will recover in its own time.

I'm a bi too. Had no "good" knee to help. Even when I hurt worse than pre-op, I knew that the pain would eventually resolve (pre-op, I KNEW that the pain would get worse.)

Hang in there! It will get better.

Hugs.
 
I remember where I was at eight weeks; I thought that that would be my magic number and things would be back to normal in my life. Not oso---I was stiff and sore and after a a day of teaching, I was often time not in a very pleasant mood. I kept wondering "when"?

I would waske up each morning and the knees would actually feel pretty good---and then, about an hour later, well, they began the whole drill all over again.

Eight weeks seems like a long time, but when you think about how long the insidious arthritis dlowly crept into our lives, eight weeks is really only a beginning. They will be stiff and sore for some time---I truly understand how you feel--but down the road you will be amazed at how great you fell; you do have to be patient.
 
OK I have something to announce!!!!!

I have just completed both of my Nursing Portfolio Books and I am celebrating by going to bed!!!! If I can get my knees to carry me up the stairs.

I signed up for these two "classes" because they were self-directed courses that didn't require posting on line or a text book. However, I didn't realize when I signed up for it that my BTKR would leave me basically brain dead for 7 weeks.

They were supposed to be equal to two 12 week courses starting in June and ending on Monday July 30.

When I finally opened the information packets I found that there were 10 objectives for both courses. Each objective required an essays or a "detailed narrative" response using APA format demonstrating how I had met the objectives in past 27 years of my nursing practice. Each objective required that I show examples of my work. I've done a lot in the past 27 years but I didn't necessarily save everything in a scrap book. It took me all last week to find, gather and organize all of the "evidence" and I have been writing daily since last Thursday. I also was required to include a resume, my diploma and any professional certifications I have. All this for a "pass" (they better not "fail" me!) grade.
There was no way I could have written a paper in APA format with citations in June or most of July, so instead I have spent the last two weeks at my computer or digging in closets, boxes and old PC for evidence. I even had to take a trip up to Mom's to dig up my Nursing Diploma.

So what did y'all do on your summer vacation?

ChrisO

Sonja,

I am working on a long ignored BSN, (Diploma grad 1984) I signed up for this "class" in order to skip over the two traditional courses for these topics. Comprehensive Nursing Practice and Leadership and Management.

Tell your mom I admire her. I should have done this years ago. Wasted youth I guess...CO



 
Hey Chris,

Could it be that maybe a different med or dose could help you with the pain? No reason to suffer if your current meds aren't working for you. Even at 8 weeks out!
 
Hi all,

Had this wonderful treatment after a workout of a PT session. They put 4 stim electrodes around my knees and Iced/ elevated them. Electrical tingle was noticeable and just under stinging. Anyway, after 20 min my knee felt light and loose rather than heavy and full of glue. It was wonderful for about 10 min then knee felt full and heavy again. Anyone hear of a home model of this stimulator? I want that feeling of ease and fluidity again!

Next question, I have chance to get in for dental checkup and cleaning on Tuesday, do I need antibiotics? Who do I ask OS or dentist?

Thanks,
ChrisO

Chris
 
Hi all,

Had this wonderful treatment after a workout of a PT session. They put 4 stim electrodes around my knees and Iced/ elevated them. Electrical tingle was noticeable and just under stinging. Anyway, after 20 min my knee felt light and loose rather than heavy and full of glue. It was wonderful for about 10 min then knee felt full and heavy again. Anyone hear of a home model of this stimulator? I want that feeling of ease and fluidity again!

Next question, I have chance to get in for dental checkup and cleaning on Tuesday, do I need antibiotics? Who do I ask OS or dentist?

Thanks,
ChrisO

Chris
Hi Chris, yes I have a home version of the estim, it cost about 55 dollars to buy from the pt. I have not had surgery yet, but it does help soem with the pre-op pain as well. Ask your pt how you can obtain one for home.
 
OK I have something to announce!!!!!

I have just completed both of my Nursing Portfolio Books and I am celebrating by going to bed!!!! If I can get my knees to carry me up the stairs.

I signed up for these two "classes" because they were self-directed courses that didn't require posting on line or a text book. However, I didn't realize when I signed up for it that my BTKR would leave me basically brain dead for 7 weeks.

They were supposed to be equal to two 12 week courses starting in June and ending on Monday July 30.

When I finally opened the information packets I found that there were 10 objectives for both courses. Each objective required an essays or a "detailed narrative" response using APA format demonstrating how I had met the objectives in past 27 years of my nursing practice. Each objective required that I show examples of my work. I've done a lot in the past 27 years but I didn't necessarily save everything in a scrap book. It took me all last week to find, gather and organize all of the "evidence" and I have been writing daily since last Thursday. I also was required to include a resume, my diploma and any professional certifications I have. All this for a "pass" (they better not "fail" me!) grade.
There was no way I could have written a paper in APA format with citations in June or most of July, so instead I have spent the last two weeks at my computer or digging in closets, boxes and old PC for evidence. I even had to take a trip up to Mom's to dig up my Nursing Diploma.

So what did y'all do on your summer vacation?

ChrisO

Sonja,

I am working on a long ignored BSN, (Diploma grad 1984) I signed up for this "class" in order to skip over the two traditional courses for these topics. Comprehensive Nursing Practice and Leadership and Management.

Tell your mom I admire her. I should have done this years ago. Wasted youth I guess...CO



Chris, I am so proud of you for going back to finish your BSN! Thanks for mentioning my Mom, I will tell her when she returns from her Alaskan cruise tomorrow!
 
Chris,
Yes you probably need to medicate for your dental appointment. I got my antibiotics from my OS but usually you can get them from your dentist also.
 
Thanks I thought so since I am so close to original date 5/22/12. C
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sleepless in St. Louis
Read you explanation of pain to John. It was excellent---and easy to understand. Just wanted you to know that I think it's Library material
[Bonesmart.org] Sleepless in St. Louis
, and I have tagged Jamie to be sure she sees it so it can be considered for the Library. And congrats on the BSN!
 
Thanks guys for the info re: the stem units. The fluidity post treatment was amazing. I'm going to talk to the PTs tomorrow. Chriso
 
Oh and yes I have to take abx 1hour before dentist. Thanks Karmigirl. C
 
Hi all,

Had this wonderful treatment after a workout of a PT session. They put 4 stim electrodes around my knees and Iced/ elevated them. Electrical tingle was noticeable and just under stinging. Anyway, after 20 min my knee felt light and loose rather than heavy and full of glue. It was wonderful for about 10 min then knee felt full and heavy again. Anyone hear of a home model of this stimulator? I want that feeling of ease and fluidity again!

Next question, I have chance to get in for dental checkup and cleaning on Tuesday, do I need antibiotics? Who do I ask OS or dentist?

Thanks,
ChrisO

Chris
I have the electrical stimulator after each PT appointment! I guess I just took it for granted and thought that everyone had the same ES at the end. :)
 
Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow is my last PT appointment and I return to work on Monday full time. I will be 11 weeks post op on Tuesday.

I will tell anyone that asks that I really didn't know what I had in store for me. I am glad I had both knees done at the same time because I don't think I would be brave enough to do this again. The experiance challenged me in ways I never immagined. I know I never had felt as low emotionally and physically as I felt in the first post op weeks.

However there were some good things that happen because of my knees.

1.) I have had more time to spend with my husband than I have had in years. Because of our care obligations...his 86 year old mother lives with us...we work different shifts, me 0630-1500 him 1430-1100. Normally, we spend most of the week trying not to wake each other up. I dress in the dark and he quietly sneaks to bed when he comes home. We got to see each other every morning, It was great having time to re-connect and do things like have lunch together. Even when I could drive he went with me to therapy just to keep me company.

2.) I got work done arround the house. Sitting at home looking at unfinished projects drove me nuts so I found a service called MR HANDYMAN on the internet and in about a week "Big Sean" came to do projects. We now have a whole house attic fan, a hole in the drywall repaired, a door painted, an outside door frame repaired and a bathroom fitted with grab bars, a new shower head and fresh paint for my MIL. I also had the carpets shampooed and the air ducts cleaned. I'll be watching the budget for months but the projects are DONE.

3.) My son has had the best summer of his short life. We knew that I wasn't going to be able to do family fun stuff with our son this summer so we signed him up for a summer day camp. Our guy LOVED CAMP and didn't seem to miss us at all. As a matter of fact weekends with us were boring... he couldn't wait for Monday to go back to camp.

4.) I lost weight...a lot of weight...30 lbs in 10 weeks! I didn't intend to lose 30 lbs after surgery but the knees, the nausea, the fatigue and the discomfort took it off of me. When I was in the hospital I was so mad at myself, I blamed my need for surgery on my excessive weight and just didn't want to eat. Then I got sick and couldn't eat. As I began to feel better I found that my appetite and food preferences had been reset to more healthy foods. Unhealthy foods don't give me the "food" reward I used to get from them. All I have to do is feel my knees to be able to push away or make a better food choice.

5.) I found time to think about my life. I don't want work to drive my life as much as it did before surgery. I may have a big backlog of work to slog through but I'm not going to kill myself trying to catch up. I now recognize what it feels like to be "exhausted" and I can tell you that work used to make me feel that bad sometimes. Like my eating habits change I have a perspective change on how much I can, should our will push myself (especially for work). There are much more rewarding things to do... If I'm going to be bone tired and worn out I want to have something fun or personally valuable to show for my efforts.

6.) I met a group of the most wonderful and supportive people any one could ever immagine, BoneSmarties from all over the world! Having my knees replaced has allowed me to enjoy the company of all of you guys. How cool is that?!? Jo and Gang I couldn't have made it without you! All of you.

I may not be posting as much after this week but I will be checking in on everyone, especailly the exploits of BJ and Sonja. If they keep it up someone is going to make a movie. :egypdance:

ChrisO

 
[Bonesmart.org] Sleepless in St. Louis
Great report, Chris. It's amazing what we can learn from this experience. For something that starts with so much difficulty and pain, it usually ends up with lots of good insights into ourselves and no pain.

Ease back into work, and don't let them push you to do too much. Be good to yourself and those two new knees.

[Bonesmart.org] Sleepless in St. Louis
So don't be a stranger. Check in with us once in a while--be sure and see how the ski trip goes (wild and wooly). Take care because we care.
 
Chris, don't be a stranger, after all the drama is heating up! :rotfl:
 
Hi all,

I was released by my OS to return only for problems or in one year for x rays. According to Dr. Bone is growing into prosthesis the way it should. The clunking sensation that I feel when I move my knee up and down on my stationary bike is "normal" and I'll get used to it. It is caused by the plastic part hitting the metal part of the knee. I also clunk when I roll over in bed and when I bounce my foot up and down or rotate my ankle.

I am so slow. I apparently walk and look like I am in pain, at least one person per day asks me if I'm ok, need help or need a wheelchair. I am in pain. I think the knees hurt as much now as they did at 8 weeks. I'm stronger and have a better sense of that strength but I am still hurting a lot. I dread the pulling metallic almost tearing feeling I have every time I stand. When I stand all four points on each knee hurt of my knee hurt, when I walk the quads and other knee muscles tighten and box in my knee cap. The muscles are so tight I feel like I'm going to cramp up with my knees perminsnt lay hyperextended.

I find myself fearing that what I have is what I get and I'll just hae to live with the very bad pain of standing up or going up stairs. Most of the time I just ache but standing up after sitting or laying down is dreadful. I have to mentally get ready to go to the Bath room when I wake up because I know it will hur bad. I still haven't reached the point where I was (pain and speed) before surgery at 12 weeks + post op. my OS says this is all " normal".

Sorry no positive words here, maybe things will be beter in a year.

Chris
 
Chris, I am so sorry that you are having so much pain! Working full time as a Nurse is very difficult on the knees. Your recovery is at the 3 month mark, but I imagine we will hear that things are improving by 6 months. Pain has a way of bringing us down? I will be praying for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom