Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Sleepless in St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonja,
I'm glad you stayed I was worried about safe travel in a bed in the back of a SUV, without a seat belt. while you are at home alone PLEASE use your common sense and keep yourself safe from mishaps. ( After28+ years as a nurse I can assure you "common sense" isn't all that common. )
Many, most, ALL of us at one time or another make decisions for ourselves that we would never advise to someone else to do.
Chris

I have given up my "running shoes" for my crutches, until my Mom returns! She did not want to leave me and I promised her i would behave! Now, I might test my limits sometimes, but I would NEVER break a promise to my MOM!:angel:

She retired last year after 28 years as a nurse. She worked to get her LVN first, then her RN, and finally her BSN. Dad was not alive to see her achieve her BSN, but my sister and I are proud of her!

I am so glad that you are going on for your Master's? I am sure you will do well! You have a great head on your shoulders!
 
Hi everyone,

So here's my update...

I slept from 3am - 7am last night. This is the longest time I have slept since all of the nausea reactions hit me post op week 3 .

I went to the YMCA pool and walked and marched. My knee loved th cool water, I was able to take nice big strides with good heal toe movements. It was heaven... I walked and walked for 1.5 hours. Someone who was there for her water exercise told me she was tired just watching me move. The water supported so much of my weight that I was mostly pain free.
I did try to do some swimming exercise w/flutter kicks and found that I have no power in my kick at this time. I was actually kicking with a kick board moving backwards in still water. I think the hydrostatic pressure and the lack of pain while moving might help me get some of the swelling down.

Tylenol is worthless for pain but does take the heat out of the knees. I think the Celebrex is helping control some of the pain. I'm not too proud to try alternative medicine so I did some Homeopathic Med research last night and bought a tube of Homeopathic Arnica Montana gel today. I don't care if it is a placebo or the real deal if I get some pain relief then good for Homeopathy and me. The gel feels good and smells nice, it can't hurt ( the concentrations in homeopathy are minuscule). Worst case I have a 10 .00 tube of gel that is moisturizing my scar.

So how is everyone else?

Chris
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sleepless in St. Louis
Four hours sleep in a row! Heavenly! I have had trouble sleeping since I was about 45 (69 now), so the 3 or 4 hours here and there never bothered me as much as those accustomed to 6 to 8 hours in a row.
And pool therapy also sounds so soothing to me.
[Bonesmart.org] Sleepless in St. Louis
Wish I had realized that the rehab center I was familiar with had a pool--I think I would have tried it---but most of my recovery took place during the winter.


The arnica gel can't hurt, might help, and will feel good when you massage the area and give you a little aroma therapy on the side.

Be sure and keep elevating and icing to reduce swelling. It's still one of the best things you can do. I occasionally elevate and ice now even at 8 months post op when I get carried away and overdo. Keep up the good work, take care and keep us posted.
[Bonesmart.org] Sleepless in St. Louis
 
Yay! 4 hours of sleep!!! That sounds good. I had a rough sleep last night. A series of naps with weird dreams... My legs were achy from playing in the pool with my kids and granddaughter.
 
HI EVERYONE!,

I thought I'd pop in and give my little report and then I'm off to the pool. I'm taking my 10yo son and a friend to Splash City. They are old enough to have fun without me (as long as I'm along for $$ for snacks) and I hope to stand in the cool water flexing my knees.

I think the sleepless nights may be over. I slept 7 hours straight last night and woke up refreshed and optomistic. YEAH.

Yesterday I made the 440 yard "dash" in 10 minutes. I don't expect they are going to want me in London w/ that sort of speed but I am walking. I can also stand for about 5-10 minutes unaided. Everything hurts but I can do it and I feel my recovery from the pain and tiredness is getting faster. I'm not ready for grocery shopping or work but things are improving.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Chris O
 
Wow, 7 hours of sleep, a thumbs up for that! :thumb:
Have fun in the pool! Sounds refreshing!
 
The first time I sleep for over four hours of sleep I went over to see if my clock had gotten broken. Isn't it great. I think that is when we really start healing. I did 6 to 8 last night and your body does sure like it. My leg isn't well enough for the pool yet but when its ready, I will visit it. Keep us posted on how you are doing, and you are doing great. Take care. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Hi Chris!

Great news about getting 7 hours of sleep! Doesn't it make a difference in how you feel?!:yay:

I have finished all but one of my papers for my Master's course this week, it is due on Monday, so I am feeling pretty good myself! I have already started reading the chapters for next week. It is easy to set a schedule when no one is here but me though!:heehee:

Going swimming or even just standing in the water sounds like a lot of fun! I am ready to get back to the pool. It is great to hear you are doing so well!:)
 
2+ hours of pool time, driving to and from, plus dinner at Steak-n-Shake w/2 10 year olds .... I'm exhausted and I hardly did anything. The boys didn't need me much (mostly just reminders to stick together and that they needed to work out any issues they had on their own) Wow was it hot! I just stayed in the 4 ft along the side and tried not to get jumped on by all the kids.

After taking our young friend home, I showered and put these knees on ice!

Now it's off to bed. I have great hopes tht I will sleep well.

Sonja, good job w/ your papers. I'm going to try to get some of my school work done tomorrow. I find that I cannot use my laptop for important typing. I need a more upright pasture w feet on the ground and a full sized keyboard to type and think in a professional maner.
I haven't tried to see how long I can sit at a desk and chair.

I need to see how it goes because this is what I hope to be allowed to do when I first return to work. My job was mostly computer nerd nurse stuff, financial stuff and patient education, but i also helped out with staff nursing when someone was out and helped cover lunches. I hope they allow me back w limited duty as i'm physically unable to take care of people but i should be able to take care of the computers and programs that we use to take care of people.

Chris
 
Chris, I do all of my outlining and notes on my laptop, then I take the thumdrive to the big computer, so my legs are not hanging down for so long! It makes a big difference. I also do all of my reading/highlighting in the recliner. I am learning to be good to my knee so my knee will be good to me! I have given it enough trouble. :wink:
 
Well i recovered from taking the boys to splash city.

Today I'm off to my hospital for return to work dry run. The department is closed on Sunday so I shouldn't 'run into many people. I want to time myself and gauge my fatigue from driving, parking and walking to my office. I have guessed the walk is about 440 yards, I can walk that distance on the treadmill in 10 min.

I think the back pack idea for getting around will work for me, I can carry ice gel packs for knees, wallet, badge and keys with room to spare for files and notebooks. Thanks Sonja for the tip.

If work allows limited duty (desk job only) I think I might be ready in a few more weeks. I just need to keep building stamina and leg strength. I never imagined how week my legs were getting from the arthritis! I need to work on all the muscles of the leg plus my "core".
I could do so much more if these knees would stop hurting.....I know take it easy and let the knees be in charge...the knees don't understand FMLA law or hospital politics. Everyone is replaceable and I need like my job. I need to get another 15+ years of work out of these guys plus have some fun....no $$$$, no fun.

Chris
 
My dry run went well except my desk has become junk central. I cleaned up, wrote a few work e mails and walked back to car and drove home. It takes me 10 minutes to walk the distance exactly. I'll needs to add in about 45 minutes in the AM to compensate for my generally slower speed right now.

We needed a few things at the store so my son and I went. I shopped the outer section for essentials and back home. My little guy brought in all the groceries and put them away for me. He is basically a good kid. This surgery has had a real impact on him, overall I think he has done well but I can tell it scared him to see me struggle w/ my post op issues.

I seem to be recovering from exertion and efforts faster than I did a week ago. I hope this upcoming week continues to improve.

Best wishes to everyone. Nite nite.

Chris
 
Immagine this scene: young good looking male PT showing me how to engage my "gluteus" for a proper rise from a squat. Saying: butt, butt, butt each time he bounced up. All I could think about was The Sir Mix A Lot video Baby got back....it's hard to keep a straight face sometimes. :giggle: :giggle: Chris
 
Hi everyone,

Saw OS yesterday, set return to work date as Aug. 7. Which will be post op week 10. I did not find this forum till after surgery so i had no idea how long recovery would take... I thought 6 weeks sounded reasonable and perhaps a little indulgent. BOY was I wrong. OS told me...but I didn't listen. Week 6 was an important week because I finally began to feel rested and like myself again.

So in anticipation of return to work Mike my PT stepped up the workout. I expect this sounds like small potatoes but I walked on the treadmill at 1.7 mph for 10 min, thi beats my time from last week. He had me working to get up from floor in case of a fall. I can be on knees and can slowly crawl but I cannot stand up from a kneeling position, I just can't get my feet under knees to lift myself up. I am to practice this in bed.

Speaking of bed, that is where I'm at right now with a mountain of pillows under legs and ice on my knees. Aahhhh. Sigh of relief. PT is like going to the gym I hate it but I feel better after I have some time to recover. Each time I recover faster than the last. Now if I could jut get rid if the nagging pain when I do stand for a long time.

ChrisO
 
Hi everyone, He had me working to get up from floor in case of a fall. I can be on knees and can slowly crawl but I cannot stand up from a kneeling position, I just can't get my feet under knees to lift myself up. I am to practice this in bed.ChrisO

I haven't tried getting up from the floor yet, still working on getting off of the two crutches after a suspicious x-ray. The PT has it on my list of to do's and hopefully, in the next couple of weeks I'll get the all clear from my OS to proceed further.

But I tell ya, the first time I try learning to get up from the floor, sprawled out and crawling, I am body searching each person around for iPhones or anything that possibly has a camera. They aren't getting me on youtube, noooooo sirreeee, ain't happening! :heehee:

Sounds like you are doing well, ChrisO, good for you!! :yay:
 
You are doing great---and you are preparing yourself physically and mentally to return to work---that is very, very wise. Sleep issues for me bothered me for quite some time, as well---and I didn't realize how much I needed to place a value on sleep until I couldn't get any!

It also sounds like your stamina is returning! Excellent!
 
Hi Chris!

Thanks for liking my backpack idea! It has saved me so many times and it makes it so easy to lug everything around! When I go back to PT on Friday, Katie is asking that I dig up one of my "mothballed" underbracings to help with stabilizing the knee during exercise! I hadn't thought about it, but that brace was always, pushing the kneecap back in toward the center and driving me crazy before surgery. Now it is just the thing I need! Isn't it funny how sometimes the things that we despise come back to be the things we need! I just hope I can find the darned thing now!:whistle: I remember coming home and throwing it somewhere! I just can't remember if that was the dumpster, or the back recesses of the garage or.....:)
 
Elisea,

Last week I jus had to sit in a cold bath....that was it! I got a small step stool, sat on it in the water and then slipped into the water... Heaven! Until.... I needed to get out. ..I rolled to my knees but couldn't stand. I tried to lift up and slither over bathtub side, couldn't do that either. Husband couldn't help, too slippery and no room to stand or lift. I finally was able to lift my bottom up enough that husband was able to put stool under my butt and I then could get my knees and feet under me to stand.

My husband said if we had to call 911 he was going to unlock the front door and hide in the basement, that if I got myself into a stupid predicament I would have to face the consequences alone. Thankfully no young firemen were harmed by the sight of me stuck in the tub...but it was a close call.

ChrisO
 
Tim,

I have ALWAYS been able to sleep. I love sleep. I get up early for work...I start at 6:30 am ... I'm in bed by 9pm and usually asleep by 9:30.

This post op not able to sleep thing is hard to understand. When Im able to sleep for 5-6 hours straight It is heaven!

However, some nights I don't seem to be able to sleep at all. It's not pain that is causing lack of sleep I just can't sleep. I hope the more active I get the more sleep I'll get at night. I think my body needs to feel more tired.

Lack of sleep just bombs out all of my emotional coping mechanisms. Makes me whiney. Yuck!

Thanks for the encouragement about work. I am glad to be moving on. I would have never anticipated 10+ weeks of absence. Lucky for me work seems to understand better than I what a big deal this surgery was. I was truly and willfully clueless. Good thing too, if I had done this OR on thr RTKR first and had the first 5-6 weeks post op that I had, there wouldn't have been a LTKR. I am so glad that I will never face this again!

ChrisO
 
Hi Al
Yesterday was my one week anniversary of my double TKR. I think I am doing okay a little slow today but continuing to use the cpm machine for 8 to 12 hrs per day I walk in betwee the cpm bouts (2hrs per knee) I wish I could sleep better getting about 2
To 4hrs before waking I would like to sleep on my side more but that lasts 30 minutes before I stop. Sometimes I feel to warm or too cold but we are in a heat wave and the AC is running full time during the day to keep the house livable
I start physical therapy tomorrow at home
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom