Guest viewing is limited

MUA Sleeping on my side, 5 weeks post TKR

@Layla so appreciate your advice and help. As I mentioned earlier, it's hard/confusing to get it right, but our bodies let us know. As we go through this journey, nobody said it would be plain sailing but sometimes that's just what my mind tells me. Start to progress and then hiccups, how dare they. You most certainly need patience with this, telling myself constantly now. The post op blues don't help, one minute all seemingly good, then bang, downhill. Giving myself a good talking to but honestly this forum is pure Gold, where would we be without you all. Thank you x
 
We're happy you're here, Andypandy :wave:
One month post op to date, today. Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Andypandy
 
Can I ask for advice, have I made right decision? Due for physio today but on Monday evening, my back decided to alert me. I have session every 5 weeks with Osteopath which keeps my naughty back in trim. This is on left side, always left side so opposite to tkr, and feels like piriformis muscle and nagging lower back . Have been icing, heat and some improvement but given that I would have the struggle of getting into the car today, I decided to cancel PT as really worried that it will just aggregate back. Doing my basic exercises at home but have I made the right decision, oh I so want to get this right. Thank you.x
 
I am so sorry, but I am annoyed, upset and !!!!!!!!!! Physio just called me as I wanted to update her due to being unable to attend. So ran through what I have been doing, heel slides, quad sets, leg extension, leg lifts albeit with a slightly rolled up towel. Plus up and about regularly, 8 stairs every visit to rest of apartment and bathroom. But she said I should be doing far more advanced exercises and when she saw me on 27th December , 2 and half weeks after surgery, really bad swelling, maybe due to 10 minute hike to get there from car park and the wait 10 minutes in cafe area, no suitable seating , my range was very bad 25 and if I do t get to 90 degrees in 2 weeks I will have to have an MUA!!!!!!!!!! I constantly read about this on here and she has now put the biggest fear in me. I told her I see my surgeon on 27th January, surely he will advise. Sorry but I feel so angry. My seated slides are really progressing but still some way to go. Thank you for being there.
 
, I decided to cancel PT as really worried that it will just aggregate back. Doing my basic exercises at home but have I made the right decision
I am sure you have done the right thing to cancel. There is no point in forcing yourself if your back is bad as it may just go into spasm and prevent you doing anything.
I suffer with sciatica and spinal stenosis so I really sympathise. It was very hard in the early weeks when my back was bad and I couldn't get on to the floor or kneel to do the best exercises. Even now, at 2 years plus I occasionally struggle to put socks on- not because of knee flexion but because of my back being stiff.
But she said I should be doing far more advanced exercises and when she saw me on 27th December , 2 and half weeks after surgery, really bad swelling, maybe due to 10 minute hike to get there from car park and the wait 10 minutes in cafe area, no suitable seating , my range was very bad 25 and if I do t get to 90 degrees in 2 weeks I will have to have an MUA!!!!!!!!!!
I really would not allow this person to scare you. It sounds to me as though you are doing plenty. Just carry on with what you can do and try to rest and ice in between. I just used walking, an exercise booklet from my hospital and some private pilates sessions. I never exercised to painful levels and my flexion is great.
 
@EalingGran many thanks, my back has been a problem for many years, lots going on but with my osteo I manage quite well. Due to the different gait etc., we are having it's going to affect the back. Re physio, do they really understand what this entails. The swelling obviously plays a big part and takes awhile to settle, but for her to give me 2 weeks to get to 90 degrees??? Is she reading off a cue card. I have read on here many people not having or continuing with PT, just carry on at home and surely some of these have swelling. Again, I thank you for your support x
 
I totally disagree with that physio! You did the right thing to cancel. I also have had back issues for years and in my PKR rehab I refused to do anything that upset my back, because like you, I had it in a manageable condition.

You don’t even need to be doing all the at home rehab that you’re doing, especially with the pain and swelling you have.

Try to relax, you’re going to heal fine, in time. :console2:
 
Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises. That is counterproductive.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
 
Due to the different gait etc., we are having it's going to affect the back.
This is so true. My surgeons PA reminded me early on of how our gait changes as our joint deteriorates, and then changes once again post op as our body adjusts to the prosthetic. Your deteriorating knee led to pain, stiffness and instability. There is some natural compensating that occurs which can strain muscles, ligaments and joints causing imbalances in the hip and lower back. I believe my colleague, mendogal, refers to it as "the great structural reset", which it is! Recovery takes time and patience for sure. You're only one month into a recovery that takes a full year for most and even longer for some. So hang in there and relax, lots of TLC in order! :)
 
@Layla thanks Layla, so much goes on and so much to deal with. When the physio called me she wasn't happy I had cancelled, but agreed not my fault for back problems. Next one 15th January, please dear God my back's better, but as my hubby just said, we'll assess it Tuesday and if no better will have to cancel. Bless him he's really going through it. And, I'm doing as much as poss here. Have a good weekend x
 
Your back pain is real. PT is to aid in your recovery, not cause additional pain. Forcing yourself to go could make the problem worse. I'm glad your hubby is in your corner with this so you don't have the added stress of differing opinions on you attending / skipping.

Focus on what you're able to do, like gentle stretches and rest. In taking a step back while in pain, you're not giving up, but only being wise about your health and wellbeing. :thumb:
I'll lift a prayer for your back pain. :prayer: :)
@Andypandy
 
@Layla sorry, meant to ask, when standing, not for too long, why does the leg feel so heavy, Thank you
 
I think it's a common sensation especially this early on in the healing process, Andypandy.
There is weakness, which strengthening exercises will help.
Swelling can cause this sensation also, because it does increase the weight and pressure in your leg. The swelling can restrict your circulation adding to that feeling of heaviness.
ROM, stiffness and reduced flexibility can make it feel like a log leg. :wink:
Do a lot of icing and elevating to help ease the swelling and as that dissipates, your leg will feel as light as a feather, lol....exxageration. :heehee:
@Andypandy
 
when standing, not for too long, why does the leg feel so heavy
Standing was hard for me, long after I could walk for miles. I think it is probably that fluid tends to pool when you are standing- even if the swelling is not obvious. This makes the leg heavy, tight and really uncomfortable quite quickly. I think this is really normal.
 
@Layla apologies but I just want to moan. Yesterday maybe I overdid the seated heel slides, x3 sessions spaced out but quite a bit of gentle rocking back and forth, have a slider mat, baby rocks. Then probably 8 or 10 attempts slides. Managed little higher. In between iced elevated. Then, early part of night 10.ish the pain was horrific, I mean horrific. Swelling, as normal, tightness and ankle swollen. Anyway slept all night elevated ice packs on and off. Cried with anger. So did I over do it. And what should I do today . Do I try a couple of heels slides. My head is all over the place, what to do and when. Very stiff and some swelling today. Thank you, thank you x
 
Last edited:
Feel free to vent here whenever you need to. We understand. This recovery has many ups and downs and can feel very challenging and frustrating at times. I am sorry you're hurting. :console2:

Your knee is still healing and you've likely irritated soft tissues. Your body is definitely signaling that you joined the ODIC (Over Did It Cub) most of us have been there and aside from finding relief, you don't want a repeat visit. I wouldn't do anything today other than ice, rest, elevate and take any pain or OTC meds approved by your surgeon, as needed. Then when you're through this episode, proceed s-l-o-w-l-y, with caution. Gradually increasing activity as your body allows. Make sure not to push through pain.
I hope you feel better soon, Andypandy! Please keep us posted.
@Andypandy
 
Last night I had to sleep on my side as my coccyx has been horrific. Even lying flat on my back is unbelievable pain, maybe doesn't help as I have chronic back problems. I am laying ice pads across it on and off and hope this will calm it down. My worry is: is it ok or too soon to lay on side, used thick pillow between legs and although not pain free did help. Is it ok to continue like this. Many thanks. P.s. have ordered a coccyx cushion.
 
Hi Andypandy,
So sorry for your pain, it sounds miserable. :console2: If side sleeping brings you some comfort, by all means get the relief when you're able. You don't want to strain your knee though. The pillow should help align your spine taking the stress off of your back and aid in keeping your legs parallel so the top leg is not dropping down onto the leg on the bed. It may be more comfortable to sleep on your non op side for now if your Right side is still sensitive. Try alternating between back and side sleeping. I hope the pillow you ordered arrives soon and brings some relief also. Best wishes you find comfort soon.

Please notice that we've merged your latest post with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. Keep us posted! :) I've edited your thread title to reflect your current issue.
@Andypandy
 
My worry is: is it ok or too soon to lay on side, used thick pillow between legs and although not pain free did help. Is it ok to continue like this.
I really can't sleep on my back. My surgeon just said to sleep any way I felt comfortable. I think there may be restrictions for hip surgery. But I was told I couldn't damage my new knee by sleeping position. I found lying on my side with my knee slightly bent and resting on a pillow with my cool water jacket of the Aircast Cryocuff opened on top worked for me.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom