MUA Sleeping on my side, 5 weeks post TKR

Thank you for valuable information. I am having trouble sitting, sturdy chair and the toilet which is raised with support. Forgive me for asking, but I assume this is due to the swelling. I have to sit right on the edge of the chair/toilet as it really hurts at the back, can't bend due to swelling. I keep hearing we need to sit on chairs and do a couple of our exercises, am I doing anything wrong or just wait for swelling to go down. Icing regularly with Cryocuff. Heel slides on bed coming along and leg extension no problem. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
 
I keep hearing we need to sit on chairs and do a couple of our exercises,
Often we are sent home with a standard list of exercises to do x times a day, and often the list is too long. Lots of exercises are not necessary, especially this early. Only do ones that don’t cause you pain, and do them anywhere you are comfortable.

Mostly, at this stage, you just want to do gentle bends, here and there, just a few at a time, and short walks around the house, just to give your joint some mobility.
 
At your stage sitting up on a chair can be incredibly difficult. I was initially able to tolerate no more than five minutes, tops, and progress was quite slow.

I doubt you're doing anything wrong - icing and elevating toes over nose 45 minutes at a time several times daily will help.

Heel slides aren't mandatory, whether sitting or lying. They absolutely should not hurt. If they hurt, leave them until you get a handle on the swelling! Many BoneSmart members did without formal exercises.

If/when lying down heel slides can be done within your comfort zone.... Don't ever force them. The key is relaxing not working!

And don't try too many at a time. Four to six at a time, slowly with deep breathing, trying to relax into it (rather than push or pull), repeated a few times daily, is much better for your inflamed tissues than doing a whole bunch all at once.
@Andypandy
 
16 days today, Merry Christmas, RTKR. Has anyone experienced cold toes,and tingling in foot, operated leg side. Okay when walking, hell when resting. Thought it could be plantar facitis but not too sure. Thank you.
 
Hi @Andypandy
Well, that's not symptoms I expect with typical plantar fasciitis (marked arch or heel pain).

Some of our knee members have indeed had transitory problems with feet and ankles because of changes to their overall structure.

Yet I suspect the issue is simpler: there have been a small number of members for whom our advice about icing and elevating is simply too much. You might try reducing the temperature of your icing by wearing the ice more loosely wrapped and with an additional layer of fabric underneath, and somewhat reduce the angle or duration of your elevation.

Please try this and let us know. I'll be on and off here all day.

Merry Christmas to you and yours !
 
I did mention to my hubby the other that when using the cuff, my heel starts to go numb. We are putting 3 bottles of ice in, always loosen the cuff a little as I find it uncomfortable and I have the wound covered with a suitable cloth. Didn't realise that the ice could do this. Just finished another session and heel feels that weird hot sensation. During the night I use ice packs but will reduce the bottles to two tomorrow. Thank you for your advice, such valued information and we are extremely fortunate to have this forum when we experience different issues. Will update after trying 2 bottles.
 
I would still loosen the wrap a bit more and add another layer of cloth. More cloth with the nighttime packs too! Just to make sure!
 
I had a porter come to the car with a wheelchair for those first few hospital visits (wound checks and PT) No one judged me not even the physio and they were more than happy to help. Just getting out of the car was hard enough let alone walking to the hospital lobby. We are in recovery not getting ready for a marathon!
 
RTKR 19 days today. Couple of worries. Swelling still the same but my lower leg is slightly swollen. Yesterday I attended my first physio and it was a real hike as I have 16 stairs to go down from my apartment, managed to get into car little easier, hike to the Nuffield gym as it is pedestrianised, hubby got as close as possible, told to sit and wait in cafe area!!!!!!!! Only chairs very low no support so couldn't sit. Anyway physio arrived took me up in lift to room and to be fair, she didn't push me at all. In fact said that until swelling goes down won't achieve much. Leg extension very good, few heel slides, couple assisted leg lifts. Won't be going back there, will be going to the Nuffield hospital for physio. Anyway beating myself up today because now have this lower leg swelling. Is it because of the activity Yesterday, is this normal. Ohhhhh I just want to get this right. Icing elevating and up walking and gentle exercise. Should I be doing anything else, other than praying. Thank you x
 
:hi:Hi Andypandy,
You will get it right, so try to relax and not worry. Swelling will come and go. It can extend from the knee down to your calf, ankle and foot. It's due to the inflammation and fluid buildup as your body heals from the trauma of surgery. Elevation and icing should help. Some mild swelling may last for up to a year, per my surgeon. It depends upon your healing rate and activity level and I'm sure you've noticed overactivity seems to increase swelling, as does sitting for long periods. It's all about the proper balance.

Your recovery sounds very normal. Take it slow and easy and you will get there. It's still early days for you.
Have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Andypandy
 
Thank you @Layla . Part of my brain tells me what's to be expected and that other naughty part likes to upset me. I will only be 3 weeks on Monday, but this feels like it's been going on forever. That's because we have time on our hands I guess. Yes, good old ice, just got to be our best friend x
 
It was surely your body's response to all that activity at only 3 weeks postop!
I have no stairs at home yet my long car ride to and from my ortho 3 week appointment was definitely a setback in terms of swelling and discomfort!
 
Resting, icing, and elevating is the prescription for your swollen knee. Your increased activity more than likely increased its inflammation, causing that increased swelling. Getting that swelling down should be your number one job for the next few months. This recovery will be like a rollercoaster ride, up and down, and nothing to be worried about.
 
@Andypandy Just wondering if making your icing regimen less cold helped with those foot problems?
 
@mendogal Just finished another session using 2 bottles instead of 3 and keeping the cuff loose. Seems so much better. We did try 1 bottle but not cold enough. Thank you for such valued advice.
 
@Andypandy you're very welcome - it's wonderful to have the problem solved!
 
@Andypandy Back to your tingly feet. I’ve had that even pre op, especially at bedtime when both feet swell a little. I take blood pressure tablets which does cause swelling of ankles and feet and I just assumed it was that, but maybe I’m wrong. My feet are normal in the morning and just get fatter as the day goes on. Are you on blood pressure tablets by any chance?
 
@ouchie no I'm not on bp tablets. After the op whilst still in hospital my feet played up. Assumed just a reaction to lying down. Had real problems with heel pain on operated leg, burning feeling and when we were doing 3 bottles of ice in machine, could feel the cold go to my heel. Mendogal suggested could be the ice overdoing. Gone to 2 bottles now and better. However, yesterday foot really playing up so used ice 15 mins on and off. Also been rolling foot over tennis ball, relief. Have ordered silicone heel pads as my heel just doesn't like touching anything. When I'm up and walking no problem. Just really gets you down as another problem to deal with. I am 3 weeks today and feels like been going on forever. Until the swelling goes down can't do too much in way of exercises , but following the advice of the fabulous support we have on here, not getting in too much of a state. How are you progressing? It's wonderful to get updates from others. Hope you're OK and wish you a good recovery x
 
@Andypandy - maybe it was the ice? I’m at 3 1/2 months now and feel so much better than at 2 months. I can’t pretend I’m pain free, I’m not and I’m still taking pain meds and icing about 3 x times a day, BUT the pain is a lot less than it was. Swelling depends on how active I am. Yesterday visited my cousin and other family and I was walking more and sitting more, if that makes sense, and my knee is pretty swollen today. Luckily today is a quiet rest day so just icing and basic activity like cooking etc. I’m now driving up to 5 miles at a time so nice to get out. I think once the pain and swelling reduces for you and you walk around a bit more, and once you’re driving you will feel more in touch with the real world out there! I’m even thinking of booking myself in to have the other knee done next year sometime so the horror of it all has dimmed a bit. I barely ate for the first 4 weeks as I was so traumatised and anxious with it all, but appetite is back to normal now. I lost a stone in weight and as I’m chubby I was very pleased! I know everyone says it, but you are newly post op and things will get better with time. If swelling increases then you’ve overdone it, simples! Take care my dear xx
 
Happy New Year 23days RTKR sorry to be a pain, keep meaning to ask, on the outside of knee little below knee cap, the bruising appeared just over a week ago and that part feels like cement, solid. Will this go on its own or should I be doing something. Bend is still very limited due to swelling but doing the required, few exercises and ice. Just a little concerned. Thank you x
 
Back
Top Bottom