MUA Sleeping on my side, 5 weeks post TKR

I agree, sleep in any position that you can get comfortable in.

I was also a side sleeper before surgery. After surgery I found that I was more comfortable on my back if I had my legs elevated. This took the pressure off my lower back, and I’ve had back issues for years.
 
@Jockette many thanks, I believe I have aggravated back problems just now as when icing, only elevating right surgical leg, I could feel the pain creeping into left side groin. Should both legs be elevated? My back is so flipping sensitive. Always been a side sleeper so will persevere, never in a position too long as need the loo.
 
Yes, I, too, only elevated my operated leg, because the foam wedge I had was designed for just one leg. Eventually I did put both legs on it and that worked well. So, yes, try elevating both legs. What are you using to elevate your leg?
 
@Layla sorry for post in wrong place, definitely not with it. Thank you for advice , so appreciate when unsure. I have PT tomorrow, but if back prevents me from getting into car, I have arranged a home physio.
 
You might be more comfortable with foam wedge. Pillows can shift, even while trying to get our leg settled on them. (Been there, done that!)

Here is a current discussion with elevating options, in the pre op forum:

 
@Andypandy

I'm almost a month ahead of you with surgery (LTKR on 11/12) and I am like you. PT was such a bear and so frantic cause my flexion was not good and then regressed. I totally quit PT before Christmas because the PT was so panicky about my lack of progress she contacted my surgeon who called in a panic to have me come in sooner. I didn't go. Then got Covid so anything about my knee recovery went out the window. 2 days ago I started home exercises again, but very few as they exhaust me.

I am still sleeping on the recliner on my back with a foam wedge under both legs. I still have a deep throbbing in my knee somewhere. I still can't feel my knee if I touch it. I can't sit with my foot flat without pain after 5 minutes. Riding in the car for an hour to various doctor appointments is excruciating, even with a rolled up towel. I have found that sitting longwise in the backseat with a pillow between my back and the door frame is so very much easier.

My follow up appointment is tomorrow the 15th and I'm sure it is going to be brutal. My surgeon was talking about a MUA at my two week follow up because I couldn't bend to 90 degrees. Still can't so know he's going to be pushing me. I have found tho that by being sick and really not doing a dang thing exercise wise for over two weeks has not set me back as much as feared. My DH is totally against the MUA, but agrees it is my decision. I am so stressed out over tomorrow's visit, I'm sucking down pepto bismol for my upset stomach. Ridiculous, I know, but hard to contain my crazy brain.

The depression/blues comes on so fast and so hard. I've been venting on this forum since about a week after my TKR. I vent to DH too, but it's hard on him too. Plus he's doing mostly everything I used to do around the house (and with 7 dogs, there's a lot to do!) I don't know what I would have done without this forum, seriously. They come up with encouraging words and ideas to try every time for me.

I'm still using my walker and sometimes a cane around the house. I'm on meds that make me very dizzy so I still don't feel safe trying to "wall walk" much.

I guess I don't have any magical things to tell you to try to do to make things better. Just to let you know that I'm in the same place as you are and have had/still have the exact same emotions you are having. My knee is still scabby and is still purply bruised and today is 9 weeks since surgery. Just try as hard as possible to contain your mind from all the black thoughts and come to the forum frequently to get support. I'm thinking no one has posted more negative stuff about their recovery than I have and everyone is still cheering me on. This is such a great group!
 
Hi @Andypandy, I suffer with back pain at times, and if I stand too long or stretch too much, it makes it worse. I tend to rest more, not in bed, but just don’t overdo it and it improves. Never had it looked at as resting cures it. Sitting on rubbish restaurant chairs aggravate it too! If I were you I would give PT a rest for a few days, walk around a bit, ice if needed. My nice physio told me any position is fine as long as it’s comfortable, so no strict rules.

In my early days post op I found sleeping either on my back with a softish pillow under the lower operated leg, or on my non op side with a softish pillow parallel to the non op leg helped with discomfort. On my side I would then rest the operated leg over onto that cosy pillow. It was lovely. I personally found a pillow between my legs made my hips ache, but that’s just me. I still take pain meds before bed, if I don’t it just throbs and keeps me awake. I no longer use pillows as I can sleep however I like. I’m at almost 4 months now. Things will improve with time. I hope you sleep better soon.
 
@Andypandy , on my back I use a higher pillow lengthwise under my op leg, another flatter one under my other leg- recommended by my PT.Sometimes if I get on my side I tuck a pillow behind my back and roll partly back on it so at a 45 degrees angle and a pillow under my nonop leg. I’m still using my ice machine off and on at night (I’m almost 3 months out). Oh, if you can a cat purring cuddled in your armpit helps too. I’m also trying a small dose magnesium fly I ate at nite.
 
@westiemom I wish you well for today and I know to say, don't stress, you probably will. It's a natural reaction, always thinking about things fabricates everything and hence, stress. I think our minds need healing also, as again we overthink. Then good old depression lingers, so many times I just want to scream to get my normal life back. My hubby is also brilliant, keeps assuring me we will get there, yes but when!!??????? I have a PT today, if my back allows me to get in the car, and I know she will not be at all happy with my lack of ROM. Time is of essence, so they say. Until the swelling goes down it's not going to happen. I will not allow anyone to force it, I feel nauseous at the thought. I see my surgeon on 23 January, 2 weeks to go! I have full leg extension, can get it flat on bed, can lift unaided, do quadsets BUT very limited with heel slides. Walk and use stairs regularly, both crutches. I am a slow healer and takes awhile for me to feel strong. I am supposed to be on iron supplements but had to stop as take codeine on and off. So, to sum up, what a flipping journey, some days little better than others but always Mr doubt hanging around. Don't be forced by anyone, I know it's hard to make decisions , what's the right one. But just maybe get this appointment over and perhaps try to gently get back to exercises. You've been through an awful lot, doesn't help as we age, I am a young 71 year old, but at the moment certainly feel otherwise. I wish you well for today, and every day, but maybe when you get to your appointment just think of your lovely chocolate cake, imagine your surgeon eating it, smile. Let us know how it goes x
 
Time is of essence, so they say.
This push for early ROM seems to be much more prevalent in the USA than in the UK.
I am really not sure why.
There is a much greater emphasis on function here and a lot less PT/ physio overall- probably because there is limited availability on the NHS. The purely private physios have to be more responsive to patient wishes because otherwise people won't come/ pay.
I am not aware that overall outcomes are any worse here- so it does suggest that very assertive PT doesn't make much difference.
 
Managed getting into car without too much difficulty. Discomfort at back of hamstring during journey due to tightness. The PT was absolutely brilliant, went through everything, agreed the swelling is preventing things, but no push whatsoever. Couple of exercises she has shown me so will carry on. Very pleased with straight leg, extension and quads. Just need to get the swelling down. Ice and elevate now.
 
@Andypandy good news at your appointment. I’m with you today, my lower back is stiff/ sore, don’t usually have back issues but maybe on my feet more yesterday. I want to try a new exercise today but maybe not? Knee has felt more “ stretchy” last several days, sometimes band feeling not there when I get up in AM but comes back . I meant to say magnesium glycinate in last post for sleep, easier on tummy, magnesium can be a laxative, so actually might do double duty when taking pain meds.
 
@Oldped thank you, pleased got that out of the way, next one next Friday. The back problems are horrid, I alternate between hot and cold. I would take it easy on exercise if you have pain, rest probably better. All the different pain, twinges we experience really can get confusing, our minds must be at boiling point. Always good to post on here, really helps with any issues. I spray magnesium on my feet, usually early hours of morning when I sometimes get restless legs. Oh that's a horrible sensation as if your whole body is jumping. I am going use the ice machine now as my leg is certainly telling me what it's been through this afternoon. Hope you get some relief with back pain and find out what the stretchy feeling is. I detest it when you get up from sleeping or lying too long and that awful pain in leg until you get moving. Oh haven't we plenty to deal with. Wish you well x
 
@Andypandy, I think back is just stiff/muscle, did some stretches with resistance band, did knee PT (just some gentle bending) now on couch with heat on back, ice on knee. Probably take it easy rest of day, did some household chores, several short walks. I agree, my mind is always boiling or running on hamster wheel!! I’m tired of thinking about/catering to knee all day long, just want to get back to normal life (don’t even know what that is now). I know you understand, thanks for listening to my ravings. I forgot I have some magnesium cream, might try b 4 bed.
 
Hope this isn't a silly question, but is it ok to sit at the table for meals at 5 weeks, or does this put pressure/cause more discomfort on the leg???? Asking because someone mentioned yesterday, not on here, that it was far too early and cause more swelling etc. on leg. Help, thank you x
 
@Oldped hope you are getting some respite today, maybe take it easy again. Talk about learning, never know what's the norm. I will have to be easy today as swelling from yesterday's slight activities. Didn't do that much but just shows how quick it happens. How many weeks are you, sorry forgot. Just put a question on forum re table sitting??? Take it slowly x
 
Hope this isn't a silly question, but is it ok to sit at the table for meals at 5 weeks,
No question is silly! Asking questions is exactly why Bonesmart is here! We have been through what you are going through and are here to help you through it. I was unable to sit anywhere at 5 weeks when my leg was down for anymore than a couple of minutes. I tried it and my knee blew up like a balloon! If you could elevate and ice while sitting at the table, you'd probably be OK, but elevating is the key. In the early months, it's really difficult to keep that swelling down. When we are swollen, we're in more pain and the knee can't have a better ROM, whether it's the bend or extension.
 
@sistersinhim thank you so much. I sit in the dining room Chair to do heel slides and tried once to eat at the table but as you say, soon swells. So fed up sitting on bed with tray and I have a very sore coccyx, so not good. I am up and about frequently but haven't tried the couch yet. Maybe couple more weeks. What I have found, taking bigger strides when walking seems to help, really trying to get swelling down. Thank you x
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom