MUA Sleeping on my side, 5 weeks post TKR

Jake the Peg leg comes to mind :heehee:
Hahaha! :heehee: That gave me a chuckle.
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Andypandy! You sound pretty normal to me at this early date in the healing process. Really, two months in, is early days when you consider how long the new knee will serve you.
Another 30 yrs...right? :wink:
Have a great week!
 
@Andypandy I’ve just done an update on my thread. Sounds like things are progressing anyway. Ugh you must be feeling awful with your Ferritin level. Hope the Fit Test goes ok?

When do you see your surgeon again. I still haven’t even been to PT once yet. Going to have to face the music this week though. Hopefully I’ll be able to stand long enough to do something.
 
@beralc it's horrid when you want/need to progress and obstacles are in the way. Don't push your self with pt if you don't feel strong enough. I cancelled 2 of mine in the beginning, swelling was bad and no way was I going to do a journey then expect to show them what I couldn't do. Just carried on at home, had 3 since then, 1 next Monday. My surgeon wanted me to book every week before I next see him for intense physio, to get this bend. No I haven't. I have 28th February to see him and if I haven't achieved what he expects then it will be discussed if/why etc., mua. The bend has improved but with activity comes swelling so I don't know if I can improve to required rom. 9 weeks today, did some ironing yesterday, ice and elevate straight after. I hope you fell better soon but don't let anyone push you,you were doing pretty good before the fall and I'm sure that's where you'll get back to soon. Xx
 
I have 28th February to see him and if I haven't achieved what he expects then it will be discussed if/why etc., mua.
Keep in mind that the window of opportunity surgeons mention is little more than a myth. It also ignores the fact that in the early weeks after surgery, swelling due to the TKR is inevitable and it is sometimes excessive for no apparent reason. Your knee endured the controlled trauma of major surgery and the swelling prevents full movement. Rest / Ice / Elevation and Time are your best options. All aggressive PT will do is likely cause your knee to swell even more, ultimately setting you back. I think taking a slow measured approach, as you seem to be doing, is wise. Best Wishes for your OS appointment on the 28th, Andypandy!
@Andypandy
 
I've been back to using my walker on the advice of people who know more than me and even though I don't "lean" on it for walking (more like guiding me) I walk better with it. Not sure why but I have a smoother gait than with a cane or nothing. It's depressing because I feel like I've gone backward, but doing less around the house and elevating and icing is making my knee/leg feel better. Still swollen and still bruised after exactly 3 month post surgery. Have one scab that absolutely refuses to come off and I'm too squeamish to pull at it. :)
Hoping everyone is having a good day today. Weather caused me to cancel my hairdresser appointment so will stay in today with the fireplace going and elevating and icing.
I think we all need some words of encouragement after reading the most recent stories. I wish I had more good ideas for all of us.
@Andypandy I don't have 90 degree flexion either. My "final" follow up appointment is March 12 and I'm pretty sure the doctor is going to be concerned about my lack of progress. I don't think I've progressed at all in the last 2 weeks. Exercising (at home only) makes my knee swell so I don't exercise the next day. Up and down and up and down. Lather and repeat.
 
I've been back to using my walker on the advice of people who know more than me and even though I don't "lean" on it for walking (more like guiding me) I walk better with it. Not sure why but I have a smoother gait than with a cane or nothing. It's depressing because I feel like I've gone backward, but doing less around the house and elevating and icing is making my knee/leg feel better. Still swollen and still bruised after exactly 3 month post surgery.

Sounds like it’s a confidence thing. Your frame is allowing you to concentrate more on walking well,whilst acting as more of a psychological support than a physical one. So sounds like a good idea to have gone back to using it. If you think about it, if it helps your walk improve it’s not a step backwards at all. Similarly to doing less and icing and elevating more if it’s helping it’s got to be a positive right?

Have one scab that absolutely refuses to come off and I'm too squeamish to pull at it. :)

Although it’s probably best leaving scabs to come off naturally I think many of us would fall under the term “compulsive pickers” :heehee:
If you really think it’s ready to come off, have you tried massaging a skin friendly oil into it? Almond or olive oil are great. If you rub it in regularly it should soften and break up.
 
@beralc I was until till yesterday when I just went that little bit too far with exercise. Hard to know how far to go, doing the lunge on stair and just that tiny bit out of comfort zone and I was done for the rest of the day and night. We have to go that little bit extra but I suppose we'll never now what's right. Really horrible pain in knee and back of knee, again too much with extension. This morning slightly better but good old swelling just wants to stay with me. Just got back from my Osteopath for my back and he says he can see improvement. So not too much in way of exercises today, Monday I have pt, can't wait. How are you now, hope the anemia is now under control. Hoping for some sunshine the weekend as I would love to take a fresh air walk. Take care xx
 
@Oldped how are you now, hope you're recovered from that nasty flu. Just don't need added problems do we. Did you manage to get an appointment to discuss your knee or maybe you can now see an improvement. Trouble is every day seems the same to us and before you know it, another week gone. Let me know how you are x
 
@westiemom if you feel better with the walker then use it, it's your body. I know how you feel about doing things, it's quite satisfying until that swelling arises and back on the ice. Same with the exercises, all OK until you're finished and hey ho swelling. We can only do what we believe is right and I'm sure it will happen, trouble is we want it now. This is definitely a patience game, which I don't have an awful lot of, but I am certainly being tested with this. Try a little massage on your knee, I use bio oil and my scar is really looking quite good. Just need the right bend and we can all party:happydance:
 
Have one scab that absolutely refuses to come off and I'm too squeamish to pull at it. :)
I do realize that you all know the danger in picking at scabs, but it bears repeating for all reading here so please excuse me as I jump onto my soap box for a sec, lol.

After joint replacement, your incision is healing and picking at scabs, no matter how small, can introduce bacteria increasing the risk of infection, which can be serious and may even affect the implanted joint. Let scabs fall off naturally. Okay...I'm done now. :wink:

Have a beautiful day, ladies...and all other's reading here. :)
 
@Andypandy , coming to the end of my nasty flu I hope. Still a cough but otherwise ok. Very cold here- below 0, but I swept snow off deck, walked a bit in sun, good for mental health. I think my bend is a bit better, could use peddler without siting up on cushion. When I first get up in AM knee feels less tight, also after I elevate/ ice for a bit but then stiff log leg comes back!! Still not 90 degrees either. Patience is not my strong point, want to be back to normal. I really just rested for a week, maybe it helped?? Hope you’re well, and can get outside for fresh air. Keep trying to stay positive, look for the ice cream van (or dark choclate for me)
 
@Oldped
We had sun today - below freezing, but SUNSHINE!! It really does a lot to help our mood, doesn't it? I feel you - patience has never been my strong suit. I think God is really testing me right now.
 
@beralc
Thanks for thinking of me. I do rub moisturzing cream on my legs. Right at my knee I can't feel it (ha ha) but I'm trying to keep that area of skin flexible. At this point in my recovery journey, I don't think I have confidence in anything relating to this journey. I don't know how much or how little to exercise, how long to walk or not walk, how long to ice and elevate. I do not feel in control at all.
 
@westiemom I don’t think that it’s at all unusual going by everyone’s posts, to feel confused. Most of us can often do too much or too little. And it changes as time goes by. So there’s definitely a lot of adapting all the time.
I guess your most recent learning is standing for an hour is too long, so next time you’ll know. Most of us have never done this before, so we’re learning as we go along with the help of the more experienced.
Don’t be so hard on yourself x
 
Hey @Andypandy good to know you’re making some headway. I know it can be really frustrating not knowing exactly how much exercise is the right amount until you’ve done it. At least there’s a little while still before you see your Surgeon. Just got to keep doing what you’re doing.

I started iron but my GP wants to see me on Tuesday and check how I’m doing to see if I need anything else doing in relation to it. Can’t say I’m feeling much benefit from it just yet,but it’s early days. I bet I’ll feel wonderful once it’s sorted. How are you feeling cos your Ferritin is low?
 
Am I the only one who seems to always say or do something dumb and wrong on here?
Silly girl! :heehee:
Hey, picking at scabs is a temptation many of us have likely had since childhood. There's something satisfying about getting that thing...gone! Especially the smaller the last remnants are.

It's just not worth the risk though after all you've been through and as we know, picking them so often breaks the skin and produces blood. The skin underneath is weaker and less flexible so it's best to keep our hands off.
I know you can / will. :wink:
 
Back
Top Bottom