Guest viewing is limited

MUA Sleeping on my side, 5 weeks post TKR

@westiemom , I feel like I am in the same fix. I can walk without walker but very stiff , little bend. I am going to get a referral to a research on Arthrofibrosis program, about 4 hrs away. They can replace with hinged implant, have protocol for meds/ rehab after. I don’t know If I can handle another surgery mentally or physically.I don’t tolerate anti inflammatory meds or steroids, cause me bad gastritis. I have lost about 25lb during this recovery and have struggled mentally. I think at this point I hope I can just do things around the house, garden, and maybe handle a new small pup I could be content. Certainly this is not what I expected. I’m grateful my knee isn’t too painful,. Sorry you’re discouraged I understand entirely.
 
Hoping Andypandy's surgery went well. Will check in tomorrow to see if she has come home and updated.
 
@westiemom thank you. Had op 14.00 hrs and then straight on machine. My surgeon explained how he performed the mua, pictures looked good. He got me to 120, and after listening to the 'crackling' decided he had achieved enough. I started off at 90 on the machine and 6 hours later 105. No race, no pressure and it's not really painful. So, this wasn't the easy way out, but I knew I couldn't achieve much more than the 85 due to swelling and stiffness. Should be home tomorrow and carry on as per usual exercises, my knee needs my help :dancy: I hope you have had time to reflect on your issues, seems you have questions that need to be answered, you can then start to look forward to some pain free time. Sending hugs xx
 
Early morning update from having MUA. Some swelling this morning on walkabout in hospital, but I can bend through the swelling. The brakes not there and the difference is unbelievable. Go home later today and I know I have to work, sensibly, with this knee. Way to go yet I'm sure.
 
@beralc hoping you had a better sleep and feeling better. Stunning weather helps a little. Physio been in and very pleased with progress, getting to 120 at seated and with very little effort. However, no way busting a gut, this is about comfort mobility, strange getting through this with swelling, have to be mindful of walking, heel through to to toe. On machine 100 at moment, had it on 105 but just a little too much. Going home 2.30ish and so it all starts again. Had a rocking chair dropped off as firm believer to use for keeping the knee moving when sitting. Have a good weekend and make sure you take it easy xx
 
Good to read you're feeling positive about the MUA.
Safe travels home...please keep us posted.
Best Wishes!
@Andypandy
 
Great news @Andypandy all sounds good so far. I’ll be watching your recovery in case I am asked to consider MUA. Good luck at home and I know you’ll let us know how it’s going x
 
@beralc thank you, home and on ice machine. I know I have more to deal with after having the MUA, but it is definitely my way forward. The last 2 weeks were hellish, stiffness, swelling and pain and I knew I had hit a block. Stayed on machine up until left hospital, had breaks in between and as I said previously, although there is swelling I am achieving my exercises. Pain wise in recovery, 10 which quickly went down as they intermittently fed the pain relief through drip. Even in the night, I had no pain relief and honestly didn't need it. Took codeine this morning, but even then no pain. Early days I know and from what I have learnt from BS I will tread carefully :good-bad:keep you updated, how are you xx
 
That’s wonderful news @Andypandy . It must have taken a lot to make the decision to have the MUA so I’m so pleased things are looking good for you. Hope you have a restful night.
 
@beralc thank you. Yes, very upset,concerned when mua was suggested but knew something wasn't right. I mentioned before that feeling as if there was a brake on and nothing was going to give. The pain was awful, anyway I can't tell you how relieved I felt going into hospital Friday morning as I had had enough. So, had a good night, this morning swelling, my surgeon gave me plenty of insight of what's to come, but I have gently done 1 set of exercises, ice, elevate and that's how I have to continue. Getting flexion with swelling is amazing for me. How are you doing, hope you are feeling better. Will keep you updated xx p.s. physio in morning xx
 
It really is sounding like the right decision doesn’t it. It’s really given you a fresh start. You must feel very relieved.
Thanks for asking how I’m getting on rather than hijack your thread I’ve done an update on mine.

Good luck for today.
 
@Andypandy … so glad the MUA worked for you and it sounds as if you’re doing well afterwards. In cases where there are true adhesions (which is pretty rare), an MUA can work wonders. The only trick is in the aftercare. I’m pleased your surgeon understands that when adhesions are broken up or removed, the patient needs gentle exercises and not aggressive therapy afterwards to lessen the possibility that adhesions will return. It sounds like you’re on a good path for recovery now.
 
@Jamie thank you and yes I need to be very mindful with exercise. Overdid it a little yesterday by 2 sets in the morning , ice and elevate and went into town in afternoon, which my hubby thought might be too much. On the ice when I got home and kept elevated. It's hard to get right as so many of us have found, fear we are not doing it right is foremost I believe. I will tread carefully now, I don't want to 'muck' this up.
 
@beralc just reading your post and we'll done. Those steps back always seem to move forward, never would we think that at the time. Not too bad, swelling, as expected and couple of short sessions for bending and of course ice,elevate, book. Moving much better, although this morning got glute playing up, opposite side and that's something else to contend with. Magnesium, heat and ice hopefully will calm it. But when you think of the vast different movements we are going through, no surprise body gets 'chucked' about. So taking each day carefully and it's really about this swelling deciding to go. Hope you are OK and enjoying the sun x
 
@Andypandy
Yes a more restful day today for me but I’ve had two active days and am planning to see the grand children again tomorrow so I need to rest today. I’m feeling good mentally.

Pleased to hear things are more under your control and movement’s better, that alone is with everything you’ve been through. Always going to be a fly in the ointment somewhere but time will sort the glute problem along with your other remedies. Keep going. One day this will all be a distant memory ❤️
 
@Oldped sorry to hear you are still suffering. That's the problem with stomach issues, kicks off so easily and gastritis is horrible. Hope you feel better soon. Once you are over this bout, you will probably feel stronger to take on knee journey. Is the stiffness any better? I am treading carefully following mua and juggling the exercises and rest, ice, elevate seraneo. Way to go, but need to be sensible. I'm 13 weeks now, time flys in one sense, but slowly in others. Anyway, we signed up for this journey, nothing like a fortnight in Marbella, no passport needed, no sunscreen, etc. Sending you millions of hugs and wish you well xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom