THR Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cthipster

Firstly you are such an eloquent writer. Your words and advice are easy to internalize. I should be going over to the YMCA which is around my block. Pathetic. Even as a lifelong weight lifter the agoraphobia I have felt in the past two years as my hip has worsened has made my WALKING AROUND THE BLOCK TO THE Y difficult. Maybe light walking in the pool later this week can be a goal. The circumstances of my life in the past few years has made me even more of a housebound weirdo. My parents died in very close succession and as a nurse I moved in with my mother to care for her as she died. I quite literally never left her house. This is when I became detached from the exercise I always loved and was quite frankly addicted to even as the hip got worse and worse. I certainly did not go to yoga and jump on the elliptical the first day my restrictions were lifted. I think part of that is shame of this heavy body I hardly recognize.

I think that clunking and snapping would have entirely freaked me out!!

And your description of soft tissue inflammation rings true to me. Nurses are the WORST patients. This is known fact!!

I was very satisfied as was my OS with the placement and x-rays at my 8 week appointment.

I think your your analogy of the tools in my garage is a food one and a thought I will hold on to.

You so frequently remind everyone to listen to their bodies. I have felt such a linear recovery that I have lamost become arrogant in the expectations I have for my wonderful new hip.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time on a Sunday morning to help me especially considering the really terrible week you have had. Really really, thank you. I bookmark your comments so I can go back easily and see them.

You are a caring person. I hope you know that. And maybe one who will get my butt out of this house, around the corner and into that pool that will help. Over the last 14 years the only time I haven't been in pain is when I am in the water (mostly ocean). I will rest, listen to my body and continue to follow your advice. Be kind to myself.
 
Dearest @Jaycey

Thank you for your support and words. Of course they will bookmarked. I do think I feel I should be able to stand on uneven ground for 6 hours or in a low outdoor chair for 5. Then I beat myself up. The worst part is I have the tendency to "try and figure out" what I "did" to cause what I see as many steps backwards. Using a cane! I haven't done so since week 6 and now I am reaching for furniture for being off balance. I hate pain meds....this may be a macho thing.....but also an attempt to not be on more meds as I have been on standing seizure meds for a lifetime. I am very educated regarding these medications and also how they would interact with my own.....very little except excessive tylenol and increased lethargy which I hate.

I will let my husband read the two articles you have linked and also send them to myself for quick reference. But like I said the last few days have been depressing and tense! And I know the tension doesn't help. In fact finding you was, I believe, the most important part of my recovery. In fact the beginning really.

I look forward to asking him about the medical qualifications.

You are so nice and supportive to respond to my post. It does really help. And here comes the bookmark!
 
Using a cane! I haven't done so since week 6 and now I am reaching for furniture for being off balance.
It's very easy to get back into the habit of limping - especially if your are tired or under medicated. Use a cane if you find yourself grabbing for things. It may be a case of just needing to build up muscle tone again. Not a step backward - just a part of recovery.

Are you taking anything for pain? Not controlling the pain will also set you back. We all hate pain meds. But they are part of a cycle. You increase mobility so you need a bit of help to keep that momentum going. This is only temporary - but it's very necessary to get you beyond this mobility point. You are doing great! Just a bump in the road.
 
@cthipster

I leave for the cabin in mid-September and return 7 days later. I know it sounds strange to have to go but I have a friend who is trying to make a "walkway" so I will not have to walk on uneven ground. I didn't expect to go so soon after surgery but it is important I check on her every now and then.
 
@lee0605 Reading your posts made me feel happy I am not alone. After 7.5 weeks out I am feeling stronger everyday, but I cannot walk without a cane.

I had quite a scare 3 days ago. I was on the couch elevating and icing because I swell up after exercises, walking or biking. Anyway I hear a thump look up and my 5 year old is upside down in the air falling down the stairs. I jumped up and ran (4 steps) across the room, oops! He was fine, only a small cut but very scared. I found myself crying on the floor in pain crawling back to the couch. I rested a few days my PT said I was swollen up from my knee to my lower back so I could only ride the bike. I am better now but so sore. Getting out of bed is tough, as is getting out of the car.

I still can't believe how severe my energy drain is. I was standing on my feet 12hrs a day till surgery. Now I'm good for about an hour. I don't have to back to work for another month, but I don't feel I will be ready enough. I'm freaking out about that, no work no insurance. I am trying as hard as I can to get strong but I cannot walk without my cane. If I do I go into a severe limp worse then when I started this journey. My original hip pain is gone, yeah. Funny thing is I can walk without a limp if I walk in a full blown march. There is no parade so I kind of look odd. Stairs no problem without cane or railing.

I don't get it. I have a small pain in my lower back on my waistline about 2 inches long and ½inch wide. My PT can put her finger on it while I walk and I am straighter. Uuuughh.... I did have my leg lengthened by an inch and my gait is way off. I am still trying to find a place where I am comfortable standing and where and what my new gait will be. I feel like there is no solution and I will be off kilter forever, kind of depressed about that. My PT says otherwise but as of today I'm not a believer. I just want to be strong, straight, and out of pain. It is hard reading all of these awesome recovery stories and wishing I had one too. Good luck with all and be strong. Thanks for letting me vent. Thanks BoneSmart!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lee0605, it sounds like you have been through some continuous stress, with your parents, your surgery, the potential surgery on the other hip, not being able to get back to work until you are fully recovered, your own expectations for recovery, feeling your disappointing your husband and his spoken/unspoken expectations, worrying about how you will be at the cabin... That's a lot!!

Maybe the way you're feeling right now is your body's way of saying, enough is enough, and in a strange way, a wonderful way of facing your fears (they are staring you in the face after all). Sounds like your pot bubbleth over anyway, so might as well sit on the couch and let your body's protests (including that additional pulled muscle) run their course. Don't fight them. Just observe.

As a psychiatric nurse, do you know some visualization techniques? I'll share a couple with you. One is to take every fear and label it on an imaginary balloon. Take all the balloons and release them one by one. Watch them rise in the air and float away, higher and higher until you can't see them anymore and are left with a clear blue sky. Another is a form of meditation. Place yourself in a quiet place and close your eyes. Do yoga breaths (basically deep belly breaths in and out from your diaphragm; your belly should be going in and out - no sucked in stomach here). On the exhale, say "I am..." and on the inhale say "perfect health," or "peace," or "love" or whatever you feel you need to infuse in your body. While you are doing this, imagine a pure white light surrounding, cleansing, energizing, and healing your areas of injury.

Remember that you have nothing to prove. You don't need to walk a certain amount a day or walk to the YMCA, or go to the Y. If you want to swim, as it makes you feel good and pain-free, by all means drive yourself to the Y and have some fun. With my first hip replacement, it was a battle every step of the way as I am a control freak and goal-setter. The dumb thing was the only person I was battling was myself and my own pre-conceived notions. If something didn't go right, I would double down and try to do even more. On this second hip replacement, I am thinking what's the point of battling myself? I am just going to let go and see what unfolds. It's not been a perfect process, as I've been a control freak most of my life, and I get keyed up at times. But it is SO MUCH BETTER when I just stop trying and just live. Count your recovery in terms of months. It really does take at least a year to feel normal, and some say up to two years.
 
@ski123, so sorry for your pain, but look at you, you ran to save your son. You are Superman!

That's tough about work, and it sounds like your work is physically strenuous. What kind of surgery did you have, and how big is your scar? If you are swelling up, sounds like some muscles are irritated. Do you know which ones they are?

Funny about the full blown march. I went to the orthopedic for my (almost) six-week visit on Friday, and he observed my walk. He said I still had a hitch, and I was walking kind of tilted back. Later I had my husband watch my walk, and he said I was walking as if I had a stick up my a** (LOL). So maybe you and I both need to find a parade!
 
Hey all. Wanted to share yesterday's trip to the emergency room. Extreme pain in my operated leg calf, extreme pain on top of ankle so bad I am not weight bearing and I want to vomit. I am furious that the doctor could not see me this week, nor did I get a return call, spoke to three nurses by Friday and of course no pain meds. I landed I. The emergency room and they don't know what exactly it is after four lovely hours, a $150 copay and full leg untrasound.

I am heartened to read about ankle tendon pain, because seriously it feels like I broke the top of my ankle.
 
Have to say it was about 6 months until I felt I was 'winning' in some way with my recovery....I had good progress for first 6 weeks and then kept going 2 steps forward and 3 steps back for some considerable months...I had pains in my knee,other foot, back, groin pain....each week saw me with a new problem.....terrible stiffness on getting up...that took 6 months to settle...BUT.... it did settle!! I used one elbow crutch for 5/6 because of a bad limp....that too went after physio and hydrotherapy.
What I'm trying to say is.....this recovery is slow, sometimes frustrating and can give rise to a great deal of anxiety because we all want to be well NOW........!!! It try's your patience no end...but it will get better....my hip is now 'forgotten' ...no stiffness and great gait ( got terrible knee pain..but that's another story!). Please...please...you are all very early on in your recoveries.....in a few months time it will seem a distant memory! Cheers...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@LoyalD, oh no and how frustrating!! Terrible that you're doctor didn't get back to you, and you had to go the emergency room as a last resort, and with no definitive diagnosis.

Did something precipitate the ankle pain?
 
your your analogy of the tools in my garage is a food one
@lee0605 You eat tools? :heehee:
After all I was discharged less than 24 hours after the THR.
So what? That doesn't mean you had minor surgery, you know! You should remember that you weren't sent home because your recovery was all done and dusted. You were sent home TO RECOVER !!
About 4 days ago I started to have pain that has started me limping again. I don't know what I did or overdid.
So let's do some investigation, okay?

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?


[Bonesmart.org] Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?



I'm also going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?
)


3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Note:
If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.
Doing 5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set of 5.
And doing 5 sets and finishing = a session.
 
Dear @ski123

I am so sorry it has taken me a full day to respond to you and I hope this goes through. Computer garbage...I hate my provider...sometimes working sometimes not. And I'm a little lost with these alerts. I apologize for not being able to reference you email as I write but the tone of your note...fear and discouragement....is palpable and I remember it.

Yes I think that sudden sprint to your toddler was definitely a stress on the hip. Especially if you were sitting in a lower position. It does stress the joint to move suddenly. Especially sprinting off the couch for a 5 year old in distress. What were you to do REALLY!!!! And I would think caring for a young child (children, working, going to PT etc...causes a great deal of emotional stress as well.

For me...walking around with my very very strong dog who pulls me quite a bit did it...I think....my PT made a point of saying "stroll don't walk"...Also I was trying to stretch the joint by crossing my ankle on my knee.....My OS said I could.....I think maybe this was not so great either.....frankly I couldn't believe I could do it so kept ding it (SMART RIGHT?????.So suddenly in the past 4 days or so I feel I am back at week two. I think that also causes tension in my whole body which really really doesn't help at all.

Yes we are very close to each other in time and it seems we were traveling along the same linear trajectory. In fact It was making me a little cocky and I now feel my lack of attention (perhaps) has lead me to a slight setback. I was off the cane entirely and off the pain meds as well, at 6 weeks. My 8 week followup in retrospect seems to be now was an opportunity to "show off" to my OS. "LOOK AT ME I'M YOUR BEST PATIENT" I think that stems from the althlete in (really former at this time...I should stop those negative thoughts) in me.

I have received GREAT support and advice from many "bonies" the bast perhaps being @cthipster (sorry for pulling you into this conversation girl). She has really really calmed me and made me realize that recovery is a series of ups and downs.

I have also used the Administrator Josephine and Moderator Jaycey for assist. I would suggest you do this although I only do it when I absolutely have to (you sound like you do). They are such wonderful people and full of great knowledge. I have not tagged them in this post as I leave that up to you. They also refer you to great articles on the issues you write

I will continue to look for your initial post and subsequent ones and place you on my follow list. Please hang tight. You are not alone. And I send good thoughts to you, your hip and family.

Hugs, Lee
Here is Josephine's last post to me
@lee0605 You eat tools? :heehee:
So what? That doesn't mean you had minor surgery, you know! You should remember that you weren't sent home because your recovery was all done and dusted. You were sent home TO RECOVER !!

So let's do some investigation, okay?

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?


[Bonesmart.org] Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?



I'm also going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Six Weeks out from an Anterior Hip. Where Should I be?
)


3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

5. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

Note:
If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of a 500kg bell bar = 1 rep or repetition.
Doing 5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set of 5.
And doing 5 sets and finishing = a session.
 
Hi @Josephine ...first thank you so very much!

Where I feel the pain:

C-R2F
D-RTF
E-RTF
D-R5B
C-R5B

**Worse on extension when I walk.

**It feels deep. But not like the pre-op pain.

**I pulled the opposite groin muscle yesterday (I have done this a few times since surgery. I actually felt the twist of the muscles or whatever as it happened) Yucky.

**I get restless legs at night before I go to bed not while lying down.

Questions:



**I had an anterior approach on 6/5/14. The doctor I went to, only does anterior's although it looks a little lateral but I think that's because of my weight.

**I am 5'10" and 190 pounds....way over my normal weight of 155-160.

**I need a LTH as well. Diagnosis was both untreated childhood Perthes disease and, of course, arthritis. I have also had 2 knee surgeries in the past 3 years to remove meniscus (lateral out) on the opposing side of the operative hip. These were related to work (I work in a correctional facility). The knee actually feels stronger now; perhaps from using it to assist the hip.

**I was initially diagnosed with an Avulsion fracture in 2003. After squatting with about 160 on the bar. I came down to parallel and on the up push felt a snap. I waited all these years because I thought I only needed a cortisol shot. I was freaked out completely when I was diagnosed with bilateral arthritis requiring 2 THR.

**The incision was closed with glue..CRAZY!! It has recovered remarkably. It looks great. Only minimal swelling. No redness. Very slight edema

**Sleeping and lying on the operative side actually feels good. I always put a regular or body pillow between the knees. My sleep is restless. I am even aware of my "fighting with the blankets" in my sleep.

**I went to a wedding walking on uneven ground 3 weeks ago. I somehow attributed it to that but the pain and weakness after that was nothing compared to the past few days. Although 4 days ago I did a big shopping trip that wore me really down. Bending, lifting etc...

3) My pain level right now is likely a 4. As a nurse I have trouble with this manner of assessing pain. I find it to subjective if 10 is being run over by a truck than my pain level is 1. But anyway I would say for almost 12 weeks out and compared to where I have been I'll call it a 4. I called it a 3 one day post op but I was one day post op!

4) My pain meds are

**Roboxin (methocarbamol) 750mg 1 tab every 8 hours for pain

**Vicodan (hydorcodone Acetaminaphen) 5-300 1 tab every 6 hours for pain

**Alleve 440mg BID works best but I cannot take on a regualar basis because of slight damamge to my kidneys years ago from another medication. If I take NSAIDS, especially Motrin, for more than two days in a row I will gain 10 pounds.

**I AM A BIG BIG ICER. MANY TIMES PER DAY IF NECESSARY.

**I take a multivitamin/ 2000mg Vit C/ Calcium/K++ ( I have to for hypotension)/ glucosamine,chondrotin

**I have to be really feeling it it take the meds.

**I also take tegretol and have for years.The dose is now 400mg BID and Lamotigine 200 BID was added a few years ago because tegretol makes me so lethargic at a higher dose.

**Right now marching while standing feels good; Holding on to something as my balance is poor.

**If I stand up EXCEPTIONALLY straight as I walk it feels better.

**At week six and until the past few days I was taking the pain meds one combo dose (Roboxin/Vicodan) maybe 4-8 (or 10)X/week and Alleve maybe 3X per week. Not a lot really. One dose of either once a day if that. In the past four days to a week)I have taken the Roxboxin/Vicodan combo 2-3X/day and Alleve 3X in the past four days

4) Activity Level:

My PT is all over the place...except for walking which I was trying to increase. Anyway...

** I live on the first floor. Four steps up. I have a stand up shower and use an elevated toilet seat.

**I really cannot do stairs without holding on to the railing unless the pitch is low. I haven't been able to since the surgery.

**I was, until about 3-4 days ago, up to walking every morning 0.5 miles as son as I woke up. With no cane and no meds. Then later in the day 1.0-2.0 miles slowly although I think my dog caused a "plant and twist" one day. I am not as consistent with the at home PT. Many people have said walking is really the best so I have not been all that consistent with the PT exercises.

** I do all PT spread through the day. I always do both sides.
**I rarely do all these exercises at one time
*The black (strongest) bands lateral and adduction and very slight posterior 3X/week 1- 2 -sets spread through the day.
*Standing/balance on the leg (up to 2 minutes)
*Seated marching throughout the days (lets say 3 sets of 30/TID day sometimes with 4 pound weights on my knees.)
*Seated leg extensions with 4 pound ankle weights. I just sit and extend/hold/return to floor. I do these without weights many times throughout the day. Maybe 3 reps of 30/ BID
** Standing hamstring curls (again throughout the day) 2 sets of 30/BID
**That lying down "clam" exercise...with a weaker "green band" (1 set of 30/ twice per week)
** Squats holding onto the bed. Two sets of 30/ every other day
** Squats and reach, without limit, to pick things up every day
**Stretching with my operative ankle on my opposing knee a few times per day.

**I feel like I am not doing enough.

**As far as around the house. I am not working outside the home but also I am not limiting my household activity at all. Cleaned the tub the other day, full shopping trips for food. Clean, vacuum, shop (this wipes me out...shopping, then carrying things in ,then putting things away...). Cooking about 3-4X week while standing. Taking care of a strong dog etc......

**I would say sitting is my most frequent "down" position"; as opposed to lying down...except in the last few days) but I extend/elevate the leg straight out and get up often to walk around the house. Hard back chair. A perfect chair in fact.

Thank you so very much very much. I don't know how you do this.
 
@Josephine

Also to clarify what I mean by squating. Not a full squat with knees al the way bent. I haven't done this in years. I mean a squat as if you had a weight bar on your shoulders. That's how I pick things up with the thought this is a good strengthening exercise. 15-20X/per day
 
I had an anterior approach on 6/5/14.
So you're now 13 weeks out then?
The incision was closed with glue..CRAZY!!
Why crazy? It's only the skin that is sealed with glue! Not the entire wound! Read this Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?
3) My pain level right now is likely a 4.
Okay
4) My pain meds are
Roboxin (methocarbamol) 750mg 1 tab every 8 hours for pain
Vicodan (hydorcodone Acetaminaphen) 5-300 1 tab every 6 hours for pain
At week six and until the past few days I was taking the pain meds one combo dose (Roboxin/Vicodan) maybe 4-8 (or 10)X/week and Aleve maybe 3X per week. Not a lot really. One dose of either once a day if that. In the past four days to a week)I have taken the Roxboxin/Vicodan combo 2-3X/day and Aleve 3X in the past four days
I am unfamiliar with Roboxin so cannot comment on that. But it doesn't seem like you're taking sufficient medication.
Aleve 440mg BID works best but I cannot take on a regular basis because of slight damage to my kidneys years ago from another medication. If I take NSAIDS, especially Motrin, for more than two days in a row I will gain 10 pounds. I have to be really feeling it it take the meds.
Was that Tylenol?

NSAIDS don't normally effect the kidneys but they can affect the liver. However, you're much better staying away from them. Read this Medications: NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers
I AM A BIG BIG ICER. MANY TIMES PER DAY IF NECESSARY.
Good!
I feel like I am not doing enough.
You think not?!
Your exercises: my comments in bold
Right now marching while standing feels good - marching is an horrendous strain on your body, I never recommend it's use
I was, until about 3-4 days ago, up to walking every morning 0.5 miles as son as I woke up. With no cane and no meds. Then later in the day 1.0-2.0 miles slowly - walking your son to school is sufficient. The extra 1-2 miles is unnecessarily excessive.
Many people have said walking is really the best - yes, but in moderation!!!
I rarely do all these exercises at one time
The black (strongest) bands lateral and adduction and very slight posterior 3Xweek 1-2 sets
Standing/balance on the leg (up to 2 minutes)
Seated marching throughout the days 3 sets of 30 3x day sometimes with 4 pound weights on my knees
Seated leg extensions with 4 pound ankle weights, I just sit, extend, hold, return to floor. I do these without weights many times throughout the day. Maybe 3 reps of 30x2
Standing hamstring curls 2 sets of 30/BID
That lying down "clam" exercise...with a weaker "green band" (1 set of 30/ twice per week)
Squats holding onto the bed.
Two sets of 30 every other day
Squats and reach, without limit, to pick things up every day
Stretching with my operative ankle on my opposing knee a few times per day

I think all of these are excessive and unnecessary and little wonder you are experiencing pain.I suggest you stop them all. You're 12 weeks out now and shouldn't need them anyway.

As far as around the house. I am not working outside the home but also I am not limiting my household activity at all.
Cleaned the tub the other day
full shopping trips for food
Clean, vacuum, shop
Cooking about 3-4X week while standing. Taking care of a strong dog etc.
Since when have you been doing all this? You should have only just started getting back to this extent of activity within the last couple of weeks!

(this wipes me out...shopping, then carrying things in, then putting things away).
I am not in the least surprised! Back in post #3 of this thread, Jaycey left you the list of hip recovery articles, one of which was this Energy drain for THRs. Did you ever read it?

So the answer to your question that you don't feel like you are doing enough, is that you are doing FAR, FAR too much! One of the biggest problems we have on here is folk like your good self who seem to approach a hip replacement as an obstacle to be over come at all costs rather than a a recovery to be taken at a sedate rate and that your body is an injured and traumatised entity need lots of TLC and gentle recuperation. Launching yourself into a strenuous fitness routine comes much later, after you've recovered which will take at least 12-14 weeks. However, since you've jumped the gun and done all this, you've stalled your recovery and now need to take a vacation from all this, allow your body to rest and repair all this inflammatory stuff you've set up. If you don't do it know, it might well become chronic and difficult to shift. I kid you not here, I have seen a few hip/knee patients who, years down the line are still swollen, in pain and stiff because they did too much in the early post-op period.

One final thing, hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Thanks, @Josephine. We need someone like you to get us back in line. It's funny how recovery can feel like a battle. It's only because we make it so.

Have you seen people who do too little and end up in chronic pain?
 
Never! But I've seen plenty who, has much as 5 years later, are having chronic pain because of doing too much!
In real life and well as on here.
 
@Josephine, I have seen people in real life who didn't do enough rehab with their knee replacements and ended up with less range of motion. I have also seen people who stopped doing moderate exercise after they got a few months away from the hip replacement surgery, and they are stiff and sore.

I think moderation is the key.
 
Dearest @Josephine

I cannot really thank you enough for all that you have done for me here. i'm a little freaked out as it really seems as I have been doing WAY WAY to much. Why do they push you so hard to this stuff. But also I tend to get macho with exercise. I hope I haven't hurt myself and my wonderful new hip. I know I need to show this to my husband as well. I think he needs to be on the same page as me. He has been REALLY great don't get me wrong. But I often feel like I am disappointing him by not being better quicker. But how have either of us to have known! In the past two days I have twisted my opposite "bad" knee so it to is now swollen. I think I'm going to spend the next few days in bed. I'm lucky I can do this. And also I'll just use the cane.

And do you find many people who complain of opposite groin pulls?

And read all the articles. No, I did not read Jaycey's article. I'll do this now. And your's as well.

What would I have done if I had not found you and bonesmart?

Hugs to you,

Lee (AKA "Hot Mess"!!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen people in real life who didn't do enough rehab with their knee replacements and ended up with less range of motion. I have also seen people who stopped doing moderate exercise after they got a few months away from the hip replacement surgery, and they are stiff and sore.
In what role were you?

I would argue that point. My surgeon requires his knee patients to do minimal exercising, just a few gentle heel slides every hour or to and a walk around the house. Sometimes 3-4 straight leg raises first thing of a morning. But mostly it's about the walking. His MUA record is minimal and his good outcomes exceptional. The same with may hip surgeons I've worked with. They also require little or no exercises except moderate walking. Their stance is that hips really don't need lots of exercising to get better. Just walking and even that in moderation.

I don't make all this stuff up out of my own head, you know!
I think moderation is the key.
Quite correct
I hope I haven't hurt myself and my wonderful new hip.
Don't worry, you will not have hurt your metal hip. But you can hurt the tissues around it and they are what gives you the pain!
But I often feel like I am disappointing him by not being better quicker.
Don't worry about pleasing or disappointing anyone. That's not on the cards of things to do! Just remember that recovery is not something we do or conduct, it's something we have to endure and there is nothing we can do to speed it up but we can very easily cause it to slow it down!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom