Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, the bath sounds heavenly. Well done, and who cares how it looked getting in and out, you did it, that's the most important thing.

I'm sure the garden will soon look good. Funnily enough I was out buying plants for the same reason this morning. Even the ones in pots that I overwintered in the garage were killed by the -18 degrees we had here this winter. And I did a bit of gardening yesterday, it was such a lovely day :yay:. Mostly just weeding (with my new long handled sort of claw thing, don't know what it's called) and tidying, but it did feel good.
 
I know the kind of tool you mean- I wondered what they were for!

We watered the decking today with organic algae cleaner. That takes a few days and magically makes it go away. I think some patches will need jet washing also (yay!) to get if off properly.

What I really want for my garden is some black bamboo but it's so expensive. We have a very high wall/fence combo at the end of the garden that I don't want to look at. I don't fancy climbers as I want a modern look, the house is a new build. The garden was just a square of dirt when we first moved in. Our first summer we paid to have it turfed, I'm not a fan of grass though unless it looks like a bowling green! Unfortunately the turf we could afford was cheap and full of dandelions......my husband hated mowing it, I didn't like the look of it, it stayed wet after rain so was not good for playing on most of the time. The deciding factor that made us replace it was our little rescue dog. Trying to find the poop in unmown grass was not good.!

In 2008 we decided not to have a holiday and pay for it to be decked and paved. I also had raised beds built and rendered, we painted them white for a Mediterranean look. I was really pleased with the results. Unfortunately then we didn't have any money for plants or soil to fill the raised beds.

Fast forward to May 2009 and we have five tons of topsoil dumped on our drive. It was a drizzly day and we had to move it all with a wheelbarrow and a couple of spades round the side of the house to fill up the beds. My brother in law helped thank goodness but it seemed like the magic porridge pot. Once again we couldn't afford top
Quality soil and this stuff was full of rocks and twigs and all kinds of weeds.......I hand riddled it all.

I've always wanted the bamboo but had to rely on plant donations from friends and also use the plants in containers that we brought from our patio at the old house. These were cordylines and yuccas, I planted them and they were looking great but they are the ones that have died. I also planted a couple of pampas grass plants that have grown like crazy!! I'm looking forward to them getting plumes.

My garden is still very much unfinished. The patio has an 8ft trampoline covering nearly half it - we will probably have that for a few more years yet. I'd really love a metal pergola or awning once its gone.

This week I'm hoping to add a few more plants and buy some pebbles to go around the edges of the patio. I've got my mum coming to stay and she's very green fingered. She'll help me out if the weather is fine, if it's not we'll just have to find indoor activities.

I know I keep saying it but all these things are just so much more pleasurable without having to plan around the pain.

Hubby and father in law are watching the masters golf tournament on the tv, how much work goes into keeping that course tended- It's spectacular. Now that is the kind of grass I don't mind to look at LOL.
 
Well done Lisa - long may the painfree shopping continue (well in the hip anyway) :th_heehee:

I'm 7 wks post op and yesterday I escaped from my partner whilst out shopping. I've dragged the poor soul around lots of shops over the last couple of weekends trying to find an outfit for a wedding I'm attending in 2 weeks time. Got the outfit then the easy bit was to find a handbag to match the shoes (Did I say easy!!!!! ) - we must have walked hours, when finally I found one out of desperation and lost him :scratch: We finally met up again on my walk back down the street to where I'd started which was a relief really because my back was killing me - boy was I in trouble :hissyfit:but it was sooooo good to be able to get out.
 
Wow Cazza, you sound like you are doing great! Men and shopping generally don't go well do they? Glad you got sorted for the wedding, well done. It's always a tricky thing to get the accessories just right. I always end up frantically rushing around at the last minute when I have an important event trying to get finishing touches.

And Ptcoach, yes the freedom is great.....your have lots to look forward to.

The only thing I shopped for today was a set of wheel trims for hubby's car. He lost one a couple of weeks ago and says he feels the car is 'undressed' with one missing. Car type shops are not my idea of fun. It had a few bits and bobs of camping equipment but even that didn't light my fire. Ah well, mother visiting tomorrow , she taught me everything I know about shopping! I'll have to be careful not to wear her out now that I can stay on my feet a while. She has dodgy knees and a bad back and I think osteoporosis in her hips. She struggles to walk around much these days so pre op we were pretty evenly matched.

She hasn't seen me for around 8 weeks so will definitely see the difference in my mobility. Last time she was here I was still only partially weight bearing! She was so good looking after me when I first came home from hospital, I'm hoping to take her out to nice places and treat her to something nice in return this week. We are also hoping to do some garden stuff, she loves gardening and I don't really know where to start!

I'm starting to dread going back to work, I'm having a great time recuperating. Must make the most of this time as I can't see that I'll ever have such a long period off work again until I retire. Unless, of course, I fall foul of the recession- but let's not dwell on that.
 
So my mum is visiting. I picked her up at the station and she is impressed by my lesser limp!! My previous gait had been getting worse over the years and I was 'undulating' badly for a couple of years pre op. As it was only a very short walk I met her without even my walking stick and she couldn't believe it. We've been very busy with various shopping trips to garden centres to buy plants and sundries........money doesn't go far in those places. I've been keeping up my exercise and swimming regime and added extra walking and other activities due to the gardening. My garden is very much an unfinished project , I just wish I could wave a magic wand and for it all to be done. The worse thing about this week is that I'm suffering terribly from hay fever - desperately allergic to tree pollen.
 
That's exactly what my mum said Jo!

Today we have worked very hard out there. My mum (bless her) climbed into my raised beds and dug up the winter casualties. Also, being a new garden I'd planted things just because I had them last year, after my new purchases we decided things may be better in different positions. So she also dug up a few plants so that we could move them. One was pampas grass that was really hard work! Anyway I now have a much neater looking bed at the back. We planted 3 dogwood plants, a forest flame, foxgloves, miniature Conifers, Pansies, anenomes, moved a red robin to name a few. There was lots of sweeping and scrubbing of the decking and a general tidy up. I bought bark chips to cover a bare area where I have pots. Ideally I'd like white cobbles but the purse is empty now.

All in all it was quite a physical day and we were both worn out. I feel as if I've done too much today. My leg feels heavy and I'm a bit sore. I'm elevating as we 'speak ' and hope to be fine in the morning: need to snooze now zzzzzzz
 
I am glad that you are able to do what you really enjoy. I work on a rather large produce farm, and I too enjoy watching things grow. My wife has planted are large amount of perennials in our garden in front of our house. If Spring ever really decides to show up here, I will take some pictures and let yo see what my darling bride has done.

That soreness and heaviness in your leg will slowly disappear and be replaced by a great feeling of normalcy! It is great to read of how much you are capable of doing and enjoying what you are doing, too!
 
I'm not sure I know what normal is Tim ;0) lol......I'm capable now of physically doing so much more than before because I'm not in pain, but then I'm still finding that I maybe do a little too much - I'm being careful but I don't want to be over cautious. Finding the balance can be tricky!

My garden is looking much tidier now and I feel much more positive about it. I felt overwhelmed before my wonderful mum stepped in. I'm hoping that my hubby will remember to keep it well watered over the next week as my son and I are going on holiday( he couldn't get time off work :0().

We're off to visit some very dear friends who live in Spain. It will be a 'trains, planes and automobiles' journey. I'm a little nervous as I won't have the support of another adult, my son is very sensible though and is a great little helper. I'm still using a stick, it is collapsible and can fit into my handbag as for really short distances I don't bother with it. We will have a cabin size suitcase each to carry onto the plane and no other luggage.

The journey will start with hubby driving us to the airport which takes around 30 mins. The flight is just over 2 hours, (after maybe setting the alarms off and being searched) we then get the metro for a 20 mins journey to Valencia train station, then one hour on the train.....to finally be collected by the dos chicos to be driven approx 25 mins to their little village in the mountains. We've done the journey 7 or 8 times before but obviously under different circumstances. I think we'll be fine .......

The house we are staying in is very old, approx 400 years!! It is very narrow but tall and is spread over 5 floors - all the stairs will be a test for my new hip and good exercise for my leg muscles! My dear friend has promised to support me with my physio by doing the exercises with me each day. He really is great, they both are.

Every time we stay with them, which is at least once a year since 2006, we have talked about sight seeing in Valencia but have never got around to it. My inability to walk for very long has always been a factor. This is now something I am looking forward to doing. Although I think we will wait until the next time when I'll be further into recovery and hopefully hubby will be accompanying.

This trip will be mainly about relaxing, hopefully in the sunshine, eating delicious Mediterranean food and probably drinking too much vino rosado. Maybe taking their dogs on walks in the mountains- I usually take a sit while they walk down the riverside, maybe I'll be fit to go with them this time? There are many promenades to visit too, with lovely tapas bars and cafes. My son's one request is that we visit an ice cream parlour....he's easily pleased.

Of course, if the weather is nice enough we will be at the beach doing not a lot!! Hopefully the planned Spanish air strikes won't spoil our trip, our particular dates are ok but there could be a knock on effect.

All in all there's a lot to consider re the journey and traveling without another adult companion but there's also a lot to look forward to once we get through that bit.....I'm going to sort out my packing today - just in case there's any shopping required!
 
Hi Lisa, I am so envious of your trip. I have been to Valencia a long time ago, just didn't like the bullfights. Hope you'll do fine with your new shine hardware, and I bet once you return, your garden will look gorgeous. Enjoy your holiday!
 
Oh Lisa

This trip will be mainly about relaxing, hopefully in the sunshine, eating delicious Mediterranean food and probably drinking too much vino rosado. Maybe taking their dogs on walks in the mountains- I usually take a sit while they walk down the riverside, maybe I'll be fit to go with them this time? There are many promenades to visit too, with lovely tapas bars and cafes. My son's one request is that we visit an ice cream parlour....he's easily pleased.

you've sold it to me that sounds like heaven what a wonderful enviroment to recouperate -when you've got through the traveling.enjoy!:wink1:
 
I'm still being jealous of your bubble bath and soooooo looking forward to my own. Doc said 30 days at first, then said when the scar is totally epitheliized which it isn't yet. There is still one spot at the top of it that tends to be scabby. Retractor irritation, according to the doc.

So the bubble bath remains a lovely vision for now. I've had a great few days, and that makes it easier to wait.

Namasté, Margo
 
I will raise a glass of vino to you girls as I sit on the roof terrace on Tuesday evening.....the bubble bath won't be long for you Margo, and it will be the best one ever.
 
Thanks ladies, will enjoy it I'm sure.

I'm all packed and ready, alarm set for 4am!!! Another milestone dawned on m while packing.......first time I haven't had to pack prescription pain relief- just occasionally taking otc stuff these days.

Suppose I need to get some shut eye as we'll be up very early. Adios mes amigos :0)
 
That is truly a milestone and one that should be commemorated; that is why you had all of this done---to be living without pain and enjoying everything!
 
Too right Tim!

We made it, planes, trains and automobile without a hitch! My fears were unfounded. Friends impressed by my new style walk. Had homemade Spanish tortilla with green salad for lunch. Need a siesta due to early start....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom