Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a lovely time with my friends, they are great hosts. My dear friend SS has been keeping his promise and doing my exercises with me. He's teaching me to count in Spanish as we do the reps!! I've really noticed actually how much more difficult the balancing ones are for me on dry land- I literally cannot stand just on my op leg at all without tipping my whole body over. The exercises are making my muscles sore- so that's good?

We've sat indoors all day today as the weather is not nice. Watched films and ate too many snacks ....this country just isn't set up for wet weather.
 
Standing on my operated leg for 30 seconds, and trying not to tip over, is one of my exercises at PT. He made me do it 3x today, and my muscles were VERY sore. I still can't get through 30 seconds without having to grab the bar and reposition myself at least twice. How demoralizing! I won't mind the sore muscles if I at least improve.

I'd rather watch movies and eat snacks though. Hope the weather cheers up for you.
 
Don't worry, Sharon. Last summer I engaged a personal trainer who came to my home and put me through an hour's exercise each week. She treated me (nicely!) like an old lady and started off with a lot of sitting down exercises. But when we got to do standing up stuff, I found I had to keep grabbing the nearby exercise cycle for balance! But about the 4th visit, I found myself suddenly able to stand without grabbing on to anything! I was delighted!

So it will be for you eventually! :thumb:
 
Yes Sharon, it does feel demoralizing at times. Hopefully it will improve as JO says. I'm impressed by the notion of 30 seconds- I just cannot do it without holding onto something. I'm finding it hurts around my knee when I put weight through the op leg. I have walked so badly for such a long time it's just not used to taking the full weight. Rome wasn't built in a day as I'm telling myself.......
 
Slightly concerned that for the past two days my ankles (particularly the left one) have been puffed up. After sitting in a restaurant last night and then again this afternoon it was enormous.( so much for the diet!!) Been doing my exercises but probably not been pottering around as much as I would at home. Ie. Longer periods of inactivity. I haven't been able to elevate generally during the daytime this week either. I did elevate on my bed for an hour this afternoon and the swelling reduced.
I'm hoping this will not be a regular thing? I'm due back at work in 8 days (providing they can agree to an appropriate phased return for me otherwise GP is not happy to sign me as fit to work) and I can't have my feet ballooning up ......we have to wear 'business' shoes, no open toes, no sandals etc. I'm stressed enough about going back after all this time without worrying about swelling.:0(

I'm feeling quite sorry for myself today.....the weather has been uncharacteristically wet again (while the UK basks in a heatwave), it's our final day tomorrow and that signifies one day closer to work. I'm having a confidence crisis that I won't be able to cope with my job and that all my staff will have got used to my deputy and prefer him as their boss to me! I know it's silly but I feel like I've been off forever.

I don't want to feel this way - it's spoiling my last week off LOL All positive vibes gratefully accepted. Thank you in advance.
 
Sorry to hear you are having swelling problems, Lisa. It does seem like an indicatino that you definitely need a phased return to work, though. I hope that works out so that you can have plenty of rest time (elevate those legs!!!) in between the stress of the business world.
 
Get some support hose - the ordinary ones in the fashion hose range. Or support knee highs. They will help a lot.
 
Lisa, you need to try and elevate a bit more. Sitting for long periods and not being able to elevate will result in this swelling - at least it is what I experienced.

I agree with you - you should not go back to work until you feel totally ready. And then only with a phased approach.

Hope you are feeling a bit better!
 
Just a quick check in......Thanks for the advice, will take it on board.

I'm still puffy but have a more positive mood today. the rain stopped and we visited a beautiful port resort, sat on the beach front for lunch watching a few surfers. We then visited some beautiful caves in the mountainside. All packed now and ready for an early start on our journey home tomorrow.
 
Here's a photo of the surf at lunch
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110425_215820.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 176
  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110425_220105.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 185
Now THAT looks like excellent therapy!!!
 
I am glad to hear that it has stopped raining somewhere! Our weather service said that we may see the sun on Friday; I know how depressing it can be. WE have had thunderstorms today, and we are supposed to get some severe ones tomorrow and Wednesday.

It is great to see how much you have enjoyed yourself---do not worry about it---your body every now and then likes to remind you that it is in charge.:snork:

You are on your way---listen to what the folks have said---support hose, and elevating---soon this will be a non-issue.
 
Lisa, hope it's a comfortable and uneventful trip back home. Put your feet up, rest, come back to the real world.

Tim, you and I are having the same depressing weather. Tearing my hair out, I tell you!!!

Sharon
 
Thanks Sharon, we had a safe journey home, no hiccups. It was a lovely sunny day as we left (harumph) and we arrived back in the UK to 11 degrees!!! My friend down the road was gardening in her bikini top and shorts yesterday!! What's that all about? I had to put the central heating back on LOL.

Anyway, its nice to go away but also nice to come home. Hubby has missed us lots, so has the dog. He has been like my shadow since I got home. After unpacking and sticking the washing machine on my son and I went off to the supermarket. Bought some support knee highs, limited range there but I'll give them a try.

Need advice please ......I bought light support #6, they also had medium support tights #8- what does the support level do? Should I start low and move up if required? I can't bear tights and NEVER wear them so I'm hoping 'pop sox' will be ok? I'm also hoping they aren't going to drive me to distraction as the socks of torture did as they compressed my chunky calves. To be honest the swelling has subsided a little today despite the flight ( only 2 hours).

It's nice to be back in my own bed, however, I fell asleep on the settee earlier and now I'm not ready to sleep....night all - off to the games room for a while
 
They are described in this chart

[Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips


And details of the use of the different types are described broken link removed: https://www.daylong.co.uk/Compression
 
Hi Lisa, I am also just back from my holiday in Norhtern Cyprus. The weather was a bit up and down so we ended up doing more siteseeing than sunbathing this year. I am back to work tomorrow!!! Thank goodness for the wedding as we get Friday off. To be honest, I havent missed work and I'm not at all organised for tomorrow. I am popping into school later this afternoon to see whats happening. I feel really out of the loop and am worried that I will have forgotten how to teach. I also have to start writing end of year reports and the thought fills me with dread as I can't remember much about the 30 children in my class.
Cathy
 
Good luck for tomorrow Cathy, although I'm sure you won't need it. You'll be back into the swing of things in no time. I hope that someone who has been working with the children is going to help you with the reports? There could be some interesting results otherwise. Are you still planning to hand your notice in?:thumb:

Bummer about the weather, at least you've got Turkey in a few weeks. That's my overseas done for this year - we've booked to go to the Norfolk coast camping in August this year and are hoping for dry weather.:skeptical: Trying to keep costs down so we can do an antipodean trip next year to see relatives.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom