Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lisa. I was only half way through my first lesson ( maths) and I felt like I had never been away. Not suprisingly the well behaved ones were were still as lovely as ever and my really difficult child was just as difficult as ever.
Yes, I have already handed in my notice so that the head can sort out her staffing for next year. She said she is really sad to let me go and is happy to give me supply and boosting work with small groups. This will suit me fine as I can do the part of the job I love, being with the children but not have to worry as much about all the paper work. Also I will be able to work as much or as little as I like.
Next years trip sounds exciting!! How long would you go for?
Cathy
 
Sounds like you are all sorted then Cathy. Would love to be in your shoes right now! I'm lying in bed feeling wide awake and apprehensive about tomorrow......It's supposed to be my first day back at work, I live 2 min away from my job but my area manager and our HR rep have asked me to go the main office (which is an hour away) for a meeting to fill me in on 'ongoing developments' in my division and discuss my phased return that was supposed to be in place for tomorrow!!! To be frank I've been less than impressed by the pastoral care (or lack of it) while I've been off and don't feel very valued.......I'm aiming to attend with an open mind but feel quite wary. As a manager myself I would hate any of my staff to feel this way ...........I will probably feed this back when I'm back to my confident self!

My GP has commented on my note that I 'may be fit for work from 3 May providing there is an appropriate plan in place for a phased return'. I saw occupational health on 21 Mar but she said it was too soon to agree details and I needed a later appointment......that hasn't happened. I suggested Jo's 'pattern' (which my GP approved) via email 2 wks ago but they kind of ignored the email and said they would chase up the official Occ health provider.......I feel very uncertain about the whole thing. I haven't actually been at work since 22 Dec - its a long time.

I'm sure I'll be fine once I get back to my own office. Although I do think I will feel like I'm starting the job from scratch again. I was only promoted last May so hadn't been doing it long before I went off for my THR. I didn't have a lot of time to make my mark and I know there have been quite a few changes imposed during my absence.........I always think I thrive on a challenge but given the choice right now I'd choose to stay at home and live a quieter life!

I'm trying to boost myself by remembering how much me and my team had done to improve things, the results were speaking for themselves since I took over......I'm sure I'll be back to where I was in no time.*reassuring nod to self*

Anyway, enough of all that, I have a couple of milestones to share!

1) going UP the stairs normally is much easier this week (still have to do one at a time if tired but hey Ho)
2) I went out with hubby on Sat night to the pub and walked it there and back without any problems. Not sure exactly how far it is but it takes about 15- 20 minutes and has been unheard of for years for me to walk that far. (Still using my folding stick for outdoors/distance)
3) Also walked around the whole of the park on Sun, in the sunshine, as a family with the dog. Which was approx 40 minutes walking- amazing!!

No after effects, no aching, no need for pain relief......It's still a real novelty. :0)

I'm still on the bike, building up to increasing my resistance, missed the pool for the past couple of weeks, need to get back, still doing the clam and can see an improvement- hooray. My calf muscle is getting some shape back which is good.

So I need to sleep as I have an early start tomorrow but still feel wide awake. Need to get back into my 'prep for work' routine instead of being leisurely of a morning. Worse thing is that I tried on my special work belt and it only fastens on the last notch......arrgghhh...thinking positively - I suppose at least it does still fasten at all and I'm already working on the weight issue.

Will try counting sheep.....
 
Good luck and my best as you prep for the return to work!

But, I am REALLY happy to read of your ability and enjoyment of walking to the pub and back! That is what it is all about---while it seems to be a simple milestone, it is indeed a big deal--you are now realizing that you can don things pain-free and enjoy everything the way you are meant to enjoy them!

Also--walking the dog in the park! A simple pleasure, but one that is sweeter because of the decision that you made and the effort that you put into recovery! Congrats!
 
What wonderful news, Lisa: the freedom and joy to walk to the pub and walk your dog around the park. Such incredible rewards we get for having the courage to do our THRs.

As I get ready to go to bed, you will be getting ready to go back to work for the first time. May the meeting go well, and your office be welcoming.
 
Hi Lisa, sending you positive (((((((vibes))))))) for your first day back at work. You have made real progress - keep up the good work! Just don't be tempted to do too much today.

Please update us when you get a chance!
 
Thanks for all your support......I feel much more positive now I've got my first morning out of the way. I was made to feel quite welcome and I wasn't overloaded with too much information. We agreed to a phased return over the next 4 weeks, not too far removed from JO's template and I was updated with a few bits and bobs.....I need a glossary to remember all the jargon! LOL

I'll be back into my own office and meeting my team on Thursday and just spending the morning there. next week I will do 3 half days, then 4 and then 5, increasing the time slightly- which will take me to the end of May, one week annual leave and then back full time. I'm quite happy with that and it is to be reviewed as we go on. I will be able to get used to early mornings and rest on the afternoon if I need to.

I still need to see Occ health regarding any adjustments, advice etc . anyone have any pointers on things I might need to be considered? It's my opportunity to request a supportive chair for example....
It could be my only chance!

Feel like I need a nap after my early start. LOL
 
Good morning,
glad you are doing so good and can enjoy some outdoor walking:thumb:. All the best returning to work. It sure is nice to have the phased return, and your body will thank you. You can go to work, return, and nap. Imagine.
I will miss you in the games room. Let us know how you are doing.
 
Blimey................I ended up napping for an hour after I'd written that last post! :sleep:

Renate - I missed you in the games room recently! Will keep logging in and playing along :friends:
 
Hi Lisa, so glad to hear about your welcome back to work and the phased-in way you get to return. I think I'd have some trouble getting back to those morning-work-prep routines, myself; I've come to enjoy the leisurely mornings. But since I'm self-employed, I guess I can stay with the slow mornings if I want (and work more into the evening) when I get back to work.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your uplifting report on the walking and otherwise getting back to normal. And the weight will come off--I'd lost nearly 10 pounds in four months since my first surgery, just from being able to move so easily again.

Have a great week!
Joan
 
Nice to hear that your weight started to come down once you started walking again, Joan. I've put on 20 pounds during my year+ of inactivity, and struggle with matching input to the small amount of output. And it's changing slowly. As we say, patience, patience, patience.
 
Margo, I added 35 pounds during the two years of increasing immobility prior to surgery, so I still have a ways to go. When I asked my OS if I should wait until I'd lost some weight to have the surgery, he said it would be easier to lose the weight afterward -- and he was right!

So yeah, my mantra is patience, patience, patience . . . and move, move move.

Joan
 
Lisa, sounds like excellent working conditions for you. Definitely go for the supportive chair. My school district provided them for teachers, and it made a huge difference for me.

Joan, Margo, the weight thing is a common story for us, isn't it. I lost 33 pounds through WeightWatchers several years ago. But last March, when things started getting way worse for me, I started regaining. By the time I had surgery I had regained 20 pounds.

Since surgery, 6 of those have vanished. I'm not counting calories or points. I still indulge my sweet tooth too often. But apparently all the energy expended to heal, to do PT, to walk more is helping. One day very soon I will start deliberately working at it again, but in the meantime it's good to get a headstart.

A year from now.....we will all be in better shape as well as better health. :)
 
Lisa, I hope things go okay for you. I'll be looking for your post once you have that first day under your belt.
 
Glad you have the work thing sorted. I only work Thursday and Friday so only had to work one day because of the wedding. Tomorrow is a polling day so we get the day off to write reports. I have decided to spend the day doing the reports and get a good start on them. They take me hours as we have 30 children and we have to write a comment about all subjects (10) plus a piece about the social and emotional development of each child!! This is something I will not miss when I start working supply next year.
I have also missed going to the pool as my classes were on Mon and Fri and the pool has been shut due to Bank Holidays. I am off to Champneys Spa for the weekend with 3 girlfriends,. Cant wait to be pampered!!
Cathy
 
So thank you for all the positive vibes.......they worked!! I have completed my first 2 half days at work. I actually felt quite nervous as I walked through the establishment to my office. The majority of my staff seemed quite pleased to see me back!! Many were asking how everything had gone and it felt great to reply positively. To answer their questions you have to reflect . It's a good reminder of how far I've travelled and how much better I'm feeling these days. I had a few 'compliments' on my new walk.

I am so pleased to be having a phased return. This week I have just mainly done a lot of listening to get up to date with developments. Who knew listening would be so tiring? I'm feeling quite fortunate that my employer supports the well being of staff by allowing my return to be phased and also to have not felt under pressure to go back too early because of money issues. I get full pay for up to 6 months. I notice some people on here have to take sick leave as vacation time- I'm being credited with the vacation time I had booked during my sick leave- good package!

All in all the time went very quickly. It felt good to use my brain a little bit and my hip coped well. Note to self though- remember to not sit for too long or I get stiff ( and risk swelling) By the way I have a new chair! Lots of different levers to play with LOL. It was lovely to walk away at lunch time.

I'll be off to the pool in the morning and really appreciative of the free time as I'd got complacent having been off so long.

Cathy don't work too long on the reports.
 
Bravo for you, Lisa!!! You're going to do just fine. This phased return will really help plus it sounds like you work with some great folks.
 
So far so good. Day off today, half day on tomorrow but I report to the occupational health office at 9am. By the time I'm done there and drive back to the office it will be mid morning. So far (in 3 half days) all I've managed is to delete all the emails in my inbox and listen to the ' big potatoes' , drink a few coffees, eat a few biscuits and thank various key players in the team. 4 hours seems to fly by! Getting up, breakfast, showered, hair and make up done and out of the house for 730 is a shock to the system. I've needed to sit with my feet up, resting in the afternoon which is not usual for me. I've decided not to feel guilty about that though. I've indulged myself by working my way through a Martina Cole series .......gripping stuff.

I figure that (all being well) I'm never going to have so much time to myself again until I retire- probably not for at least 20 years! Unless I get lucky on the lottery. Having now gone back to work I feel like its another new chapter. The thought of it was much worse than the actuality, as I was quite daunted by the prospect having been off so long.

Today I increased the resistance on my bike and did 4kms, then I exercised and swam ( did around 500m) . I can see development when I do the clam too- yay! Slowly but surely progress is being made......patience, patience, patience!
 
While we do not like to go back to work---it does feel rewarding, as we are starting another chapter of our new life with our new hip, and less stress, as there is less pain. Less stress and less pain can mean a more enjoyable experience, too!

You are excersing in a very intelligent way---yes, it does take time, but by doing it slowly and gently, you are making nice progress.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom