Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the casts over here on this side of the pond are made from something other than plaster these days...some even are made to be taken into the shower! Not like the good ol' days, I guess...
 
Thanks everyone for asking, he's absolutely fine today apart from being bored! He and the hubby had what they call a BNI.(boys night in) last night as I was out with friends. They watched an action film, had special chocolate cookies, the boy had milk and dad had beer..... duly had his meds and slept for 11 hours!! The swelling in his fingers has gone down a lot and he's been back to his normal chatty self today. He's 11 and yes the 'pot' will certainly be a talking point amongst friends. He has been complaining of boredom today as he can't play on any of his consoles one handed, fortunately it's his left hand, and I think as he gets more used to it he will be able to use it. Of course today was the first day since the Autumn that he would've liked to jump on his trampoline!! We'll see on Monday if he needs a full plaster cast.

I'm have a little muscle soreness today, I've discovered one of my new exercises is called the clam. I am using a pillow between my knees to make it easier but even so I can only lift my knee about an inch! I'm finding it really tough to hold for ten seconds too. I was feeling really positive but my new 'regime' is making me realise how far I have to go. I cannot balance on my op leg at all so I'm really struggling to even do the other exercises.:0( Anyway,, new exercises plus turning on resistance on bike to number 1 = sore muscles- nothing too major but enough to know I'm working the muscles!

Kim- Re your bike, do you have the seat high enough and it set to no resistance?

Another thing that has impacted my mood today is weight gain. I tried on a pair of my work trousers and I figure I need to lose around 7-10 lbs .....It's not like I wasn't aware I've put weight on during my recovery and giving up smoking but I had to face facts as the trousers were a bit too tight. I will have to cut out my calorific treats over the next few weeks. Ah well, will be Monday now before the diet starts, mothering Sunday will bring some kind of treat...breakfast in bed maybe? Although,the boy may need help butterimg toast this year.

Happy mother's day to all the mums out there.
 
Hee hee......when I said 7-10lbs that was just so my work trousers are comfy......I'd actually like to lose around 70lbs ....that would get me to the 'normal' skinny range. It's taken a lot of serious effort and cash to build up to this cuddly size- a lot of mocha!
 
I hope you son's trip to the hospital today is OK. Poor boy, I bet the lack of console game playing is the worse thing for him right now.

The clam, ahh, good old Pilates. I'm sure you had much less muscle mass than me, due to your long term problems, and I'd also kept up with some Pilates even when I couldn't do much else, but I was really disappointed when I could barely move my knee upwards when the physio introduced the exercise into my recovery plan. Don't overdo it, but I promise, it does improve. I'm still not as good on that leg as my good one, but I'm getting there.

Re the bike, I'm just about managing 10 - 12 minutes now. I've got the resistance at 2. Don't forget again, you would have been much, much weaker on your bad side than me.
 
Also, re the extra weight, tell me about it! It was one reason I wanted a bike, to get a bit of real exercise back in my life, since I'm struggling to build up my walking distance and my weight has stuck stubbornly at something that makes me want to believe the scales are broken. I bought some soft sloppy track suit type trousers for the recovery period (assuming I'd be sore) and I'm still wearing them too often.

I think I need some of those magic mochas :thumb:. They don't also come in a negative calorie version by any chance??:wink1:
 
Mocha madness :wacko: Wouldn't a negative calorie version be great?:biggrin:


Been back to hospital today with the boy and the doctor we saw assured us there was no fracture just a sprain :yay: So he has a splint to wear for the next 10-14 days. He has already been round to his friends to try out a new x box game and managed just fine with it so he's a happy bunny. And despite his injury I was treated to a beautifully written poem in my mother's day card yesterday, he writes the funniest things - more about the rhyme than the meaning of the words :th_heehee: I'm keeping them all.

Today is day one of making a concerted effort to limit the food and drink intake. I have my trip to Spain in two weeks and then it won't be long before I'm back at work and NEED to be in my tailored trousers not yoga pants! If I really focus I could lose the 7-10lbs in the next few of weeks.... no mochas, limit the sweets, chocolate and alcohol and I'll be back to pre op weight.:dev-godseesaw: It's my choice...


Re Pilates - it's something I've always fancied doing, along with yoga. I thought this 'clam' thing might be a Pilates move.....anyway, I'll keep at it and hopefully will see some development. I know I have to be patient, thanks for your support Kim. Isn't it horrible when you try and do something and there's not a lot of movement?:frown: Do you pull funny faces as you try? I'm grunting and grimacing all the time I'm doing them.:loll:

It will be good to get back to swimming tomorrow after missing last week. I'm now on increased resistance to 1 (from zero) which I'm finding is absolutely fine, cycling for 15 minutes once a day and I'm averaging 4-5km depending on how fast I pedal. I feel the burn around 7 minutes. I'm thinking about increasing the resistance to 2 in a couple more days and see how I get on with that. I'm feeling a slight muscle soreness without it being uncomfortable (if that makes sense) at the moment and assume this is the way forward to build up strength?

From a progress point of view I have noticed over the past couple of days:
1) going up the stairs normally is a bit easier
2) I had to sit on a low chair in the waiting room at the hospital this morning and it did not feel uncomfortable (slight struggle to get up though)
3) I have graduated to my folding walking stick:old: (as pre op) and can walk as straight with that as with a crutch, although it has only been short distances so far
4) Managed to get socks on and tie shoe laces over the weekend (not particularly easily, but I did it!)
 
I too have to do 'The Clam' exercise and hate it. I have to use a thick elastic band to add resistance. I usually do mine whilst watching the TV. Still going to aqua but have found a new venue which is closer, cheaper and far fewer people in the class. Also, they allow you to swim after the lesson and don't charge any extra. Did aqua and went for a fairly long walk yesterday so was really tired last night and fell asleep in front of the telly. Pleased to say I wasn't too sore this morning. When are you off to Spain? I want to lose some weight before my hols in 10 days but finding it really hard. I don't tend to snack or eat sweets or crisps so it's hard to know what to cut down on.
Cathy
 
:yes 4: I had a second stage revision so it was months before I could go shopping. My husband said that he had a nice little nest egg with me not spending . I am now back shopping and hes nest egg has gone.LOL. I am just happy that I am able to get out again :yahoo:
 
A great thread to read. Gives me hope for the next 4 weeks. Can't say I miss shopping but do miss the conversation. The dog and cats just don't have alot to say.

As far as food goes, I didn't eat alot the first 10 days....but started watching the Food Network and all the cooking shows so the desire to eat is coming back. Wandered to the freezer in the garage last night and realized I must have though a famine was coming...too much food....but it will save my hubby who isn't real crazy about shopping. He has brought some wierd struff home from the store and all I can think is..ok, I have a man that cooks and two, I don't have an appetite anyway..so whatever.
 
I too have to do 'The Clam' exercise and hate it. I have to use a thick elastic band to add resistance. I usually do mine whilst watching the TV. Still going to aqua but have found a new venue which is closer, cheaper and far fewer people in the class. Also, they allow you to swim after the lesson and don't charge any extra. Did aqua and went for a fairly long walk yesterday so was really tired last night and fell asleep in front of the telly. Pleased to say I wasn't too sore this morning. When are you off to Spain? I want to lose some weight before my hols in 10 days but finding it really hard. I don't tend to snack or eat sweets or crisps so it's hard to know what to cut down on.
Cathy

:wow2:...............a thick elastic band!!!!!!!!!!! impressed :tongue:

I'm off to Spain 2 weeks today and can't wait:cheers_wine: I'm so looking forward to spending time with my friends. I've known one of them since college in the 80's and we've been 'Soul Sisters' ever since.:loveshower: It will be very relaxing with lots of laughs with the pair of them. It's just a shame that my hubby couldn't get the time off work - he's starting to get a bit envious.


Re Cutting down - Do you drink wine/alcohol? That has lots of 'empty' calories. The weight loss programme I follow is basically unlimited amounts of non processed meat, fish, poultry, eggs, fresh or frozen vegetables (inc potatoes), fresh fruit, fat free yoghurts/spreads etc check out the Slimming World website as you can usually get a week's menu ideas - it's really easy to follow and very effective without eating anything out of the ordinary. There are quite a few of us trying to lose weight on here, I'm going to start as new thread in the social room so we can support each other and share tips.:grouphug2:

Good news about the new aqua session/swimming - perhaps you could stay in there all day to burn of the calories :th_heehee:
 
:yahoo: just had a phone call from my OS secretary to say that I CAN ditch the raisers:yahoo: i.e. 90 degree restriction is off

One more milestone achieved :yes 4:

So I am now going to remove all the 'elephant feet' from my house and move the flowery 'throne' back into the garage........tonight I will be able to take a bath :bathtub:if I want to and then recline on my lovely settee:yay:
 
Yeay, big milestones reached there Lisa, well done you. Excellent news. Enjoy your bath and sofa.

Also glad your son doesn't have a break after all.

And I'm also very impressed with the elastic band with the clam, I used to use the resistance band years ago, but that would be about 10 years ago I think. Can't quite imagine it now, or maybe I should say yet.

And I'll be joining the weight loss support group if there's one, I really could do with losing at keast a stone (14lbs). It goes back to the last couple of years of slowly reducing activity.

And also Lisa, in fact many of the rehab exercises are pretty much Pilates style exercises. It's all about fairly slow but controlled muscle toning, no special equipment required. It's really easy to modify to suit your own level. I'd recommend it to anyone who is experiencing reduced mobility, to keep up some muscle strength.

Cathy, I also do my exercises to the TV. Less boring that way.
 
:yahoo: just had a phone call from my OS secretary to say that I CAN ditch the raisers:yahoo: i.e. 90 degree restriction is off

One more milestone achieved :yes 4:

So I am now going to remove all the 'elephant feet' from my house and move the flowery 'throne' back into the garage........tonight I will be able to take a bath :bathtub:if I want to and then recline on my lovely settee:yay:

Hoorah! Those are some great milestones in moving toward complete reclamation of your life! You are certainly moving in the right direction and do deserve to be congratulated!
 
Still not had my bath.........waiting to make sure its uninterrupted.....the time has not yet been right!!

Loving having my living room back to normal without the chair though, treated the room to a lovely new rug and enjoyed reclining on the settee admiring it!

Muscles are a bit sore today- achey but in a nice way, figure the exercises must be working. Have also done quite a bit of spring cleanong this week, involving actions that I haven't done for a while.
 
Awwww---spring cleaning. I hate that, but something that definitely needs doing. Well, as good as you are feeling and as good as you are doing, why don't you stop by my home and take care of that, too?:snork:
 
I'll take a rain check on that invite Tim if that's ok ........

Well, I finally got around to having my long awaited bath yesterday. It was lovely!! Lots of bubbles and nice and hot- topped up with more hot water as I got used to it. It was a bit tricky for me to get down into it and also to get out. NOt a particularly gracious manoeuvre (I had left the bathroom door unlocked just in case I got stuck and had to shout for help! ).I stayed in until my fingers went wrinkly and felt soooooo relaxed by it.

The water felt lovely on my achey muscles. I have a permanent slight soreness of them since I started my new exercises.I'm finding the balancing ones. are best done in the pool for now- virtually impossible for me to do without putting all my weight through my arms whilst clinging onto something otherwise . I think I must look very odd in the swimming pool, I stand shoulder deep and all the movement is underwater ........I bet everyone wonders what I'm doing LOL.

I had a great time in my garden yesterday afternoon too. It was a beautiful day, 20 degrees and sunny, I felt really motivated to tidy it all up. It's fairly small with meditaranean style raised beds, decking and patio slabs- very practical when you have a dog. During the winter a lot of my plants were killed by the heavy snow and cold weather do they all needs to be pulled. the floor surfaces always get covered in algae too, using the jet washer to blast them clean is soooo therapeutic . I take great pleasure in blasting one slab at a time and it going from green to clean! We. always fight for who's t.urn it is to use the machine .....I got it all to myself as hubby and son weren't home. My arms got tired before my legs - yay! The patio area has come up a treat I left the decking for the boys to do as I started to get tired.

the weekend is forecast to be nice too so my plan is to go out and buy new plants to make it all look nice again. Maybe enjoy a pimms and lemonade in the evening. It's so nice being able to plan activities without paying the price in pain. We have a new local community market starting up today which we are planning to peruse also....looking forward to my day. Please excuse typing- using my phone in bed while I wait. for everyone else to wake up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom