THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. Yes it is temporary- I feel a bit more positive having thought things through.

I've contacted my upline manager and HR to explain my predicament. I've had to email as no one was contactable by phone, so I've just said that I have concerns about getting around and managing all the locks/gates, as well as being vulnerable in the department.( I work in the education dept of a male prison). I stated that I didn't want to take time off on sick leave and wondered if any adjustments could be made to facilitate me going back to work after my annual leave next Monday. The ball is in their court......

The biggest thing for me to deal with is getting my head around actually using the crutches. As you can imagine I keep leaving them behind......
 
Sounds like an excellent way to address your situation Lisa. The ball is in their court. You are willing to work and they must make adjustments to allow you to do that. Step 1 - check as complete! Well done!
 
Lisa.....I know this is tough for you because you WANT so much to be back to normal. And this must feel like a huge step backwards. But....these things happen and you must deal with the problem. It's not "fake"....it's real! Sometimes we tend to feel guilty when we're sick or hurt or in any way less than 100%. I think this is especially true of the "achievers" out there....we've always been strong and accomplished and it's just not in our genes to be different...even temporarily.

But, you must allow your mind and body to accept that this little bump in your recovery road is real and it has to be fixed. The only way to do that is to pull back on your activity a bit and use the crutches so that your body can do its job.

Here's a big (((((HUG)))) for you! Your first step with contacting your boss is an excellent start!
 
My friends on here are so wise :friends:

Your comments and support really helped today, I knew I could rely on you.

I'll try to be patient, promise......let's see what they come up with from work. :ThankYou:
 
No, I certainly wouldn't allow you in that department with crutches!
Just think what an inmate could do with one if he put his mind to it! :wink1:
 
I hear what you are saying Jo but they could stab you with a pencil or wrap a chair around your head if they wanted to! :th_heehee:

I think if I wasn't actually stable without crutches I wouldn't even be contemplating going into work. I'm thinking that if I had an escort to help me through the many heavy gates and doors I might be ok once I'm actually in my office. I could avoid prisoner contact if I needed to once I get there.

I do recall a colleague being 'banned' from the dept a couple of years ago because he wasn't very stable on his feet sometimes due to MS. He was redeployed to a less secure jail.

I could work from a different office building, managing my dept remotely still within the establishment which is a non prisoner area - if they could find me a workspace. I would still need help to and from the car park though.

I haven't heard back from the college who employ me, it seems it is closed for half term and all the upline managers are off. It would be up to them to make arrangements with the prison anyway, and ultimately it is the prison who decide whether I can enter or not.

I could work from home at a push on strategic stuff, leaving my two deputies to manage the day to day. I can speculate all I want..... I suppose I'll know by Monday lunchtime. One thing is for sure I won't be going to work Monday morning or until I've heard from my upline.
 
I truly admire you - we had another member who is a prison nurse in Lancashire. No way could I work in that environment.
 
I once worked in a mental hospital as an assistant to a social worker when I was a young girl! Had to be escorted through the secure male wards (and female wards)... Interesting eye opening experience for a young girl...

Lisa You have my admiration also :)
 
Hi Lisa popped into to see how you were getting on and gutted to read that things haven't been going well for you, :console:
Fingers crossed that using the crutches again will help remedy the problem, hopefully your employers will find you a post were you can use them and not be seen as a problem or a concern.
Thinking of you Lisa and really hope things work out.

Billy.
 
Hallo, Lisa,

I don't do religion or prayers, but if I did I would be wearing out my kneecaps trying to get a bit of help for you. It just seems to be one thing after another. I think you are right about the tendency of determined bad people to press things into service as weapons. And those crutches, maybe you could learn a few moves of your own with them, apart from propping yourself up with them, of course.

So no prayers, then, but I can do empathy, so here are some powerful thought waves winging their way to you across the Derbyshire badlands. Let's hope you can harness them and make them work for you.

All the best, instead of the worst, from Alan
 
Hallo, Lisa,

I don't do religion or prayers, ......

So no prayers, then, but I can do empathy, so here are some powerful thought waves winging their way to you FROM OZ. Let's hope you can harness them and make them work for you.

All the best, instead of the worst, from Alan
and now the girl from OZ :)
 
It's so nice to know that I have your thoughts. I'm a lot less mardy (sulky) today than I was about the whole situation and I'm coming to terms with the crutches. I think I may customise them with a bit of sticky back plastic.

I went to the pub last night with friends and it was fine. I got out of going to the bar as I couldn't carry any drinks :ccheers: Today I went to my hairdressers, allowing extra time for the 4 flights of stairs - It's actually easier when out and about to use them, there's less opportunity to leave them propped up against a chair etc.

As yet I'm not noticing any change in the problem though, still quite sore when I move my leg in a certain way.......yes, I know - be patient:umm:

I'm still in a much better place than I was a year ago and I am thankful for that.
 
Great to hear you aren't sitting around moping to much and were out with the girl's. and the hairdressers. Might take a small while before you see any change so hang in there.
Try and make sure to use they crutches as much as possible. :thumb:


Billy
 
Lisa, I'm saddened to hear that your recovery has been so choppy. Since my early days here, you have been one of the voices that always finds the positive in a situation....and you wear great shoes. So give things a rest, and let the rest of us send the positive back to you. You've already noted that even with the setbacks, things are much better than before surgery. I'm betting you'll say the same thing six months out from now....things are soooo much better!

Take care. It will get better.
Sharon
 
Dear Lisa - we can do positive and patient for you,, I can even wear out my kneecaps (lol) and will and do. You are such an enthusiastic woman - it will work out - they need you too!:friends:
 
Now then I don't want you all getting dodgy knees and blaming me :th_heehee:

I've spoken to the HR dept this morning and also to the contract manager who is my contact point at the prison. I'm now waiting for them to get back to me to discuss any options they may come up with.

The prison contract manager thinks she may bed able to arrange for me to work in an alternative office where there is no prisoner access - we'll see.

I've had a long chat with a very close friend this morning and think I have realised why I'm so upset by all of this.......it's actually dawned on me (due to something the surgeon said) that I've been in denial about the long term future possibilities of revision etc - He more or less said that the risks of infection were too great to have an injection, as if I got an infection I could end up without a joint. I know this is what others on here have experienced and that really scares me. Too much thinking 'what if' is not good:rolleyespink:

I've had a chat with one of my deputies this morning and there's a lot of stuff going on....think I'm best out of it today to be honest!Moving forward I'm not sure if I'm better off at home with time on my hands or in the thick of it under pressure. Jury is still out.......I should just enjoy the break for now I think.

Will keep you posted. Thanks for the continued support.:thumb:
 
"............I went to the pub last night with friends and it was fine. I got out of going to the bar as I couldn't carry any drinks :ccheers: Today ............."

Brilliant! I must use that one myself!

I am sure if you take it easy everything will settle again. Its not easy having the feeling you are going backwards.

All the best

Dave
 
Don't get me wrong Dave, I still paid my way- just had my friends providing waiter service! :th_heehee:

Update......

Spoke to my GP, got very upset whilst talking it all through with him, he's taken the decision out of my hands (suspected he would, which is why I hadn't contacted him until now) and has signed me off work. I am to see him next Monday pm and discuss moving forward at that point regarding my work situation.

Immediately as I finished on the phone to him my upline manager called to say that I could work from home if need be.....I've decided to take the time off to get my head a bit straighter, I will see about working from home next week and then review it once I'm down to one crutch.

I feel better now there is a plan.
 
Sounds like a good plan Lisa!

And please don't let your imagination run wild. You have been doing very well. Just a bump in the recovery road. It happens to everyone but frankly not everyone like to admit it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom