THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry you are still having back problems Lisa.

What is this about bad press for diclofenac? Not sure what your GP is talking about but I found it very good for my back issues. Ask the OS to prescribe it.
 
Hang in there Lisa, you will get your new work chair and hopefully get good news with your OS.

Take care :thumb:
 
Jaycey I'm not sure what bad press he was referring to, he said there'd been something on the news that morning? I have used it for a long time and found it really helped. Perhaps I'll google it.

The discomfort is variable now - still worse at night in bed. Fortunately I got my clinic appointment through really quickly 22 Oct - impressed with that. Still chasing up my chair.....:hairpulling:
 
Hi Lisa, I did search for warnings on diclofenac. It's the same warning about increased risk of heart problems.

As with any of these meds you need to be monitored. If your GP is refusing ot monitor you in the right way - find another!

Doesn't seem right to refuse you the meds that work based on "the press"!
 
Hi Lisa,
I was initially prescribed diclofenac pre-op for the pain but when it finished I went to my GP who said they don't prescribe it due to concerns re: heart issues, despite my age and not having any heart difficulties.

All meds have side effects but you need to base it on your needs. Just be careful.

Good luck
Jyoti
 
The thing Drs don't like about diclofenac is the same thing they don't like about ibuprofen and other NSAIDs, it can cause occult bleeds in the stomach. And there is a recorded 'increased risk' of heart attack and stroke but that's no more than a dozen or more other meds. And way down the list anyway. It's still one of the best analgesic anti-inflammatories going.
 
It wasn't a doc I'd seen before and tbh I don't think he had much time for me or to listen to what I was actually saying......the question 'so why are you here today?' after I'd finishing explaining the saga to him kind of confirmed that. :skeptical:

I may ring to speak to another GP to get a prescription for some more.
 
It wasn't a doc I'd seen before and tbh I don't think he had much time for me or to listen to what I was actually saying......the question 'so why are you here today?' after I'd finishing explaining the saga to him kind of confirmed that. :skeptical:

Oh dear.....
I've had a few conversations with doctors like that myself. And if their eyes have glazed over, it's even worse. :skeptical:
I've come to the conclusion that there are an awful lot of docs working out there who are overworked and out of their depth and they thiink that comments like that will get them through.
But it doesn't....

Let's hope that your plan to get a prescription off another GP works.
It's so annoying when you finally find something which works and then it gets the 'use with great caution' tag. As you then have to find a GP with confidence enough to prescribe it.
 
Feeling a bit down after my visit to OS today (been referred back by GP re psoas problem- 5 months now passed since I overdid it & the problem started).

He basically told me that he can't inject due to risk of infection and the consequences of that could me I end up with no hip ........NOT an option.

So for now he wants me toe touch weight bearing on 2 crutches for 2 weeks then one crutch for a further fortnight. I need to continue with otc pain relief during this time. He is hopeful that these measures should give things time to settle down. I need to let him know how things are at the 4 week point and we take it from there.

I'm on annual leave this week from work but there will be a big impact on things if I need more time off. I can't see how I could get around at work if I'm on crutches, I'm not even sure if they will let me into the establishment.

I think I'll have to sleep on it and plan what I need to do.
 
So sorry for the problems, Lisa. Things will work out....just take it one step at a time and you'll see the right path to go forward. You really must put yourself first, though.
 
Sorry in advance, scrambled brain alert - I haven't slept very well for various reasons and still feel unsettled. I can't figure out how I'm feeling. On one hand I know that I absolutely must follow my OS instructions to use the crutches again on the other hand the inpracticality (is that a real word?) of this is great.
I was absolutely buzzing a couple of days ago, marvelling at how I could walk without bone one bone pain, I'd been to a standing only concert and danced too...:...I walked around London on Monday this week, having taken my son to see the sights, I did need my stick to do this but hey, I couldn't have even thought about those things this time last year.

I know that this crutch business is only a temporary set back but its really bothering me. I really need the psoas problem to calm down. I've tried the stretches and the chiropractor approach, decreasing activity doesn't seem to help either. The OS, who I totally respect says this may be the way forward so I have to do it.
Already I'm disobeying orders......I got home from the appointment and retrieved the crutches from the garage. Go to the kitchen, prop the crutches up, make a coffee, then think 'ah, how do I carry coffee when using 2 crutches?' So I just used one crutch - totally not taking the full weight off my left leg.....he said he doesn't want me to stop doing things, ie. Ok to drive. but how can I do stuff ? It was easy post op, I physically couldn't move around without the crutches. How can you reconcile being totally capable of walking around unaided 90% of the time with having to use crutches 100% feeling like fraud?

I'm going to have to face up to informing work at some point today. I think that will be a difficult conversation. I think I need to talk to my GP to get a note. I know that if I don't stay off work I will not be able to comply with the OS instructions. I think maybe once I'm using just the one crutch after a fortnight I may be in a different position then. Things are very unsettled at work at the moment and being off again is really not a good thing.

I think I will feel better once I've informed work and know what they have to say. I feel quite tearful and don't want to cry. I know I need to pull myself together and deal with it........sorry again for the whining, just need some support from you guys who may understand where I'm coming from.......its the feeling fake thing that is bothering me most I think. How would you feel and what would you do in my situation?
 
Aw Lisa, you just sound overwhelmed. And I don't blame you at all. But as Jamie says - take things one step at a time. Have the conversation at work. Then take it from there.

But please do take your OS instructions seriously. This is only temporary but it will give you a much better way forward.

Take care and please keep us updated!
 
Just take things step by step and don't try to solve every problem all at once. I try and figure out what is bothering me the most. Once you get that issue resolved you "make space" for the next issue.
 
Lisa,
I'm so sorry for you. There's me moaning but you have a lot more to contend with.

I know I can't change what you're going through but you know that we do care and as said previously it is temporary and YOU WILL get better.

Sending you positive vibes.
Jyoti
 
Hi Lisa, I so feel for you, but this is a temporaray setback. Sounds like good advice though to keep the weight off and let things settle. Unfortunately, I cannot advise you how to deal with work, but fingers crossed they understand and accommodate you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom