THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
No real physical change to report but came across this photo while scrap-booking that I thought may be of interest.

[Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips


It's me in 1993 after surgery when they were trying to remove some metalwork that was ingrown into my femur. It was a plate with 4 screws that I'd had since I was 2 years old from an osteotomy, they'd removed 2 of the screws 10 years previously but had aborted the op due to concerns around fracturing my thin, weedy femur. I was having problems and my OS at the time decided the plate could be the root cause of the pain.

During the op to remove it they accidentally broke my femur into 2!! Due to the shape of my femur, which kind of tapered into nothing, it was too weak to be pinned with the usual 'nail' down the centre so the solution was to use a 'Perkin's Traction'. This is basically a bolt through your shin, with traction weights hanging off it. The idea being that the bone mends together while being held in place by the traction. I don't think it was a particularly common method.......might be wrong.

It didn't work by the way! I spent 3 months on that blasted bed and then still needed the femural nail! :cry:
 
Oh Lisa!
I have read your signature and know you have had complex problems, but that description really brought it home!
Poor you!
Glad you finally passed the two crutches mark, but sorry you are still feeling a bit sore. Perhaps it's just that this is a slow process?
You take care.

Suzie
 
Hi Suzie - thanks for dropping by, lovely to hear from you.

I'm feeling a slight improvement these past few days, so I imagine when I phone the OS later this week he'll say carry on with one crutch for a bit longer. That's ok - I could cope with that.

The tendon definitely does not like hills. I walked to a friend's house last night on a neighbouring street. Slight incline on the way and I could feel it this morning.:umm:
 
Whoooo-eeeee....now THAT is some treatment!!! Made me get a little squirmy, it did!!!
 
It was a very common method of treatment, Lisa. That 'bolt' is called a Steinmann pin and I would order them by the score when a theatre sister! You were lucky they didn't add a leg length splint as well as that was the usual treatment for fracture shafts of femur! This chappie didn't have a pin but a different form of attachment. But the end result was the same ........... many weeks in bed! And hippies complain about having to sleep on their backs for weeks - at least they can get out of bed!

[Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips


btw, THAT'S what you call elevation - it really is 'toes above nose'! :th_heehee:
 
Thanks for reducing the pic size Jo - I wasn't expecting it to bed quite so big and couldn't seem to do it myself.

I definitely had the full leg splint the first time in the '80's! It was for 2 weeks I think (the first time they did the op) and then I was allowed home on crutches.

Can't exactly remember if I had one second time round in '93. I think I may have done at first:scratch: It was all extremely traumatic and I've locked that time and memories way back and beyond! I kept a journal that I've still got but haven't ever read through. It helped pass the time, I think I made stories up about the other patients and the nurses. I do remember there was one nasty nurse on the night shift who wore 'clacky' heels that made lots of very busy noise on the lino as she went about her business while we tried to sleep.:snork:
 
Lisa, Your picture brought back a lot of memories for me. I had a pin, somewhat similar to yours placed in my leg but mine was just above the knee. I was in a really bad car accident and my hip and pelvis were badly crushed. I was placed in traction with the pin sticking out of my leg until I stabilized and the surgeons could figure out what to do with me. I wish I had taken pictures but I guess that's just not something you think about when laying in a hospital bed. Mine was Jan/Feb 1988.

Jo is right. I couldn't complain about lying on my back after hip replacement. Not after being flat on my back for six weeks with this type of contraption stuck to my leg while it was lifted up!
 
1jt@atime;259271 I wish I had taken pictures but I guess that's just not something you think about when laying in a hospital bed.![/QUOTE said:
Karen, I have no idea why my family would've thought to bring a camera to hospital :scratch: I'm glad they did though as it's record of a major incident in my life.
 
Wow girls, that makes me so grateful I've just had a straightforward THR. Awesome photos! :rolleyespink:
 
Here's a pic of the work I ended up having done. I guess you could call this my memory picture, huh Lisa? My hip was replaced 21 years after this metal placement and the only metal that had to be removed were the two lower screws at the red arrow.

[Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
 
Karen! I've been looking for those pieces of my son's Erector Set for years!:hate-shocked: What in heaven's name is all of that? I can't make it out by your signature. Impressive!
 
That was many surgeries ago. When I was in a car accident in 1988, (hit by a drunk driver) my hip and pelvis was broken and crushed into three major pieces and then some. The surgeons used about 25 screws and five metal plates to put me back together. The circular things are called plates. I also had a compound fracture of the tibia on the other side. Here's an Xray after my first THR nearly two years ago. The top plate and screws are cut off in the Xray.

[Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
 
:hate-shocked:You were one lucky lady! Well, if you consider getting struck lucky, NOT :DOH:. Sorry, I didn't know the story...thanks.
 
It's what we in 'the trade' call a major pelvic reconstruction - and not without good cause!
 
Wow Lisa and 1jt@atime

I am speechless at how complex your previous surgeries were.

You are two very brave individuals - well done!

And thank you for all the support you give to everyone :)
 
:wow2: that is some metal work you have there Karen. Aren't those surgeons clever? Thanks for sharing.
 
Hi Lisa,

I was just reading around in your thread some and wondering if you are still experiencing the psoas pain? Is that what you were seeing the chiropractor for and back onto the crutches? I have been having a spot in my low back area that has bugged me for quite a few weeks now and I don't know if that's what it is -- definitely a swollen, sore muscle. I am thinking about seeing if someone can do some electrical stimulation on it -- did you try that modality?

On your picture with the pin and frame, when I was younger I used to wish that I could have the leg lengthening contraption for my femur because I'd heard so many doctors say that I was going to have back problems because of my LLD... I must have seen something like it someplace, weird thing to wish for as a child...

I enjoy reading all your posts about shopping, gardening & dancing -- you are so young and vibrant!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie, in answer to your question yes, I'm still having psoas trouble and not yet ditches the zebra crutch. My four weeks were up a couple of days ago and I called my OS office to give an update, awaiting a response now. I told his secretary that there had been some improvement but there is still discomfort. I would say about 40% better.

It's a stubborn thing! I'm pleased that there has been some progress made by using the crutches. Using one (as per the past fortnight) is really no big deal in the grand scheme of things. If I have to use it a while longer while the tendon is still mending then I'm ok with that. I am hopeful that it will work itself out eventually! Fingers crossed. I should have a response from OS on Monday. Will let you know.

I did see a chiropractor and she treated my lower back, sacroiliac area along with the psoas area but I haven't tried Tens or anything like that this time. The back problem was relieved by her but not the psoas. The actual area I'm experiencing discomfort in is in my groin. At the front of my leg, right at the top where it joins your torso and if I raise my knee its sore. Based on what you say about your pain I don't think it sounds quite the same. Maybe yours is sacroiliac trouble? That is lower back and to the side. It can be very sore and I've had a lot of trouble over the years with mine on the opposite side to my dodgy hip and I think it's linked to being lopsided. I'm not sure how to tag but I'm sure Jo could diagnose you if you explain your symptoms. She knew exactly what my problem was when I explained it.( unlike the GP I saw to get referred back to the OS ) I hope you get it sorted soon. Are you taking anti inflammatory meds to help?

A leg lengthening contraption....I think there could be a business opportunity there LOL we all have our troubles here where many of us have LDD, but if there was a non surgical way to get longer legs it would be marvelous!! I'd have a couple of extra inches any day, I'd love to be a bit taller. Unfortunately I can't balance or walk properly in heels so I'm resigned to being 5'4" forever. Hee hee.

Thank you for the kind words about my stories..:..I like the word vibrant! That's a great thing to be called. I don't feel particularly young or vibrant today though. I've been awake since 5am and couldn't get back to sleep. How annoying, my body clock can't tell its the weekend and I want to lie in. So here I am, lying in darkness, hubby sleeping soundly while I tap away on my smart phone in Bonesmart land.

I have no particular plans for today so I think I might do a bit of Christmas shopping. Hope you have a lovely weekend. Take care. :0)
 
Hi Lisanewmc

Sorry you had a rough night, hope you have been able to nap a little during the day.

You are so encouraging to everyone, I hope you know how much you are thought of by all of us all around the world. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom