Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Renate - good to hear from you. Have just been catching up with your thread, it's early days for you still. 8 weeks out seems like an absolute age ago for me - you've got the best yet to come and will be dancing before you know it! :egypt-dance::happy dance::egypt-dance: Just be careful not to overdo it like I did! Glad to hear someone is keeping the shopping going, I've not much 'me' time these days for shopping or much else:cry4:

take care :friends:
 
Reporting in after the physio appointment. .......She seemed quite excited to be working with a post op THR person who is 'so young' :th_heehee:and said it would be interesting to see what we can achieve.

She confirmed that I have 'Trendelenburg Sign' and practically no muscle there;said the same as I've heard previously about not being able to eliminate the limp completely but she did think that it was worth having a go at the exercises to see how things go, nothing to lose.

I was shown 4 exercises using a big latex band around my ankles or knees and I go back in 6 weeks. She said it will be a slow and long journey and not to expect quick results.

I'm totally fine with all that and feel very positive. I got cramp in all kinds of places as I attempted the exercises though, what's that all about? How do you stop that? Anyone know?:scratch:
 
Hallo, Lisa,

We've all had cramp, but the cures are nearly as numerous as the sufferers. As I understand it what happens is that a muscle tries to shorten itself owing to what it considers to be abuse. In your case pulling or pushing against too great a resistance could be the abuse and the cure is not to stop doing it but to reduce the resistance, and then build back up. So use a thinner elastic or stop trying to pull it quite so far.

Most of us have the calf muscle at rest one, often some hours after exercise, maybe at night in bed. I think this is sometimes caused by the calf muscle lengthening to much when it has been under stress earlier. It reacts by trying to shorten itself and overdoes it. The only cure is to make a sharp angle at the ankle and to stretch it gently back to the right shape. All muscles are capable of being stretched back into shape but some are placed so that the cure is worse than the affliction. If that happens heaven help you. It happened to me once in the car while being driven from a marathon race. Both hamstrings and both buttocks went into convulsion and I had to get out and writhe in agony until I could get back in. On somebody's lawn.

Some people swear by upping the salt content of the diet or taking quinine. Indian tonic is not bad for this, preferably with added gin. This doesn't actually help but it could make the remedy more interesting.

I still think cramp can be avoided or reduced by not making sudden, demanding movements when you don't know the status of the muscles in question. Stretch first and then do the manoeuvre. When I was a kid people at my swimming club could swim length after length with no trouble but it was very common for otherwise fit people to be gripped by cramp during the water polo that followed. This is because of the sudden sharp movements that happen during the game.

Above all keep muscles warm. Remember the hideous legwarmers from the 70s and 80s? Maybe not such a bad idea when nobody is looking.

Sorry if this is a bit long and rambling. I hope that somewhere in there you can find something to help you.

All the best,

Alan
 
Cramping is very normal Lisa. Your muscles are complaining about having to work in new ways. Make the stretches more gentle at first and then work up. Alan is right - warming up and then keeping muscles warm is important. I also use a heat pad or heated gel pack to ease cramping.

Good luck with your exercises!
 
Thanks Alan and Jaycey for the tips. I'll try and stretch before I do the exercises.....legs , I know how to stretch but one of the exercises she asked me to do gave me a twinge in my back, just under the shoulder blade area. Now the physio knew this and just "oh its cramp, you'll get that in all kinds of places' ......wonder why she didn't suggest anything? I was too busy on the bed, holding my stomach in, focusing on my. pelvic floor and then working my legs restrained by a band and trying to remember to breathe all at the same time to ask!

My favourite remedy is the quinine.....obviously with added gin! Will give it a try - hic!
 
I use this to avoid calf and Achilles problems---it also helps with plantar issues, too.

[Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips


I carry it with me and use it before I officiate; it really helps out a great deal. You put your foot into it and stretch the calf out good and proper---30 seconds a time, two to three times, and do that about four times a day.

Another product that you can use to help with calf cramps are heel cups or heel lifts---they can be purchased at pharmacies here in the US---they are only about 1/4 of an inch thick---but it is enough to raise the heel a little and ease the issues with the calf.

As for the gin---I am not much of a gin drinker (I prefer blended whiskey) but I would assume that it would serve you well for those "medicinal purposes..."
 
Thanks Tim , that device looks really interesting. I already have shoe inserts for plantar issues that raise my heel and foot arch. I wore some shoes without them for a few days last week as I've had no issues for a while......but guess what? Yes, my heels are complaining now - lesson learned.

Also got complaining muscles after the new exercises with my latex band. I know that means the exercises are working but I'd rather not have the after affects.

Perhaps I should take more 'medicine' LOL
 
Nothing new to report really.....negatives- aches from pt exercises, STILL got issues from the tendonitis, mainly when I'm in bed. Positives - pain free hip joint and everything that brings!!! Have now got the report for the special chair at work - not cheap! It's basically got adjustable everything including a split seat so that I can have one leg lower than the other to ease pressure. It looks like I would need a full training course to learn how to use it LOL. I will try and find a picture to post.

Had another 'first' last weekend.....still a novelty. Attended an outdoor concert in a park, quite a long walk from the entrance and then queuing time to get in. I'm usually in agony after the walk and cannot stand in line......even managed a dance!! Still using the stick for walking as I get 'leg tiredness' quite quickly but that's ok.

Looking forward to our week of camping at the seaside, shops, beach and pub in walking distance.....can't wait- be great to take an evening stroll. Weather permitting of course!
 
Hi Lisa

Glad you enjoyed your concert and had a wee dance. Your new chair sounds a wizz, I got myself a footrest at work and that seemed to help with me sitting at the computer for long spells doing reports.
Was out playing football with my grandson for the first time last week and could hardly run my grandson kept shouting papa run, run papa and asked why I couldn't run like I used to. :scratch:
Hopefully that will come later.
 
Hi all, just checking in after a week away. On my 2 week summer annual leave from work and have spent the first week of it on a camping trip by the seaside. The weather was a bit dodgy at times ( particularly windy ) but otherwise it was a success.

From a post THR point of view, 7 months down the line.......get stiff if I drive for too long, am a little 'ungainly' getting up and down from the floor, still a struggle to reach foot. otherwise I was able to walk around places we visited for much longer periods than I could before, still reliant on my folding stick as I get tired in the leg dept quite quickly, the muscles just aren't there yet.(not sure if they ever will be)

I have been terrible at keeping up with the exercises the pt gave me the other week.....I don't feel the same level of motivation I had earlier in this process. I was hoping to reduce my limp ......I'm doubtful that I have the attitude required as the results aren't guaranteed......need a kick up the bum!!
 
Hi Lisa, thanks for the update. Sound like you are getting alone just fine.

The stiffness will ease as will any limp. It's good you are using a cane when you get tired. Just keep it up.

Please don't be discouraged about the muscle weakness. They atrophied for a long time pre-op. It just takes time and patience to get back the muscle tone. Walking and the exercised your PT gave you will help! There are no guarantees - you are right. But a good percentage of THR patients recover that muscle tone and go on with their lives. You can too!
 
Lisa, did you remove your surgery date from your post for a reason? I just looked and it is in old ones, but now it is gone :skeptical:...
 
Hi Lisa,
I know what you mean about the progress!:sigh: It can be so slow. I still feel weakness with my Physio not believing that I will get my strength to walk with less of a limp. Still using the crutch:DOH:

But don't despair!! We'll both get there - it will take time but DON'T give up!!

It is achievable.:dancy:

Jyoti
 
Haven't removed my op date *confused*- hadn't realised it wasn't showing........I mostly check in from my phone and they don't show up in that format anyway. Perhaps a techie type person would know what's happened?
 
Hi jyoti - thanks for posting, you've inspired me to keep on trying. Been to a large shopping outlet today with my sister in law who is over from New Zealand, we were walking around for almost 3 hours and I didn't need to resort to my stick once!!!! It was a first!! I think it was because it was lots of little stops and starts due to all the shops being next to each other rather than actually walking any distance inbetween.

Anyway, I made a conscious effort to minimize the limp inbetween shops because of you :0)

By the way I did treat myself- bought a beautiful silk dress, quite a bold geometric print in my favourite colours, purple, lime green, with shades of grey and black. An absolute bargain, reduced by £120 (!!!!) .....relatives took us out for an Italian meal tonight so it got its first outing, and because I didn't need to walk far I wore heels- yay!!! felt very glam
 
Excellent Lisa. You have come a long way since your surgery and out funny games. That's amazing what you can do now, especially in heels. I haven't even thought about that. Enjoy your new hip, life and family.
 
A Scotsman through and through Cappy :th_heehee:

Hi Lisa

Glad to hear you treated yourself to a new outfit and hope you enjoyed your meal.

Billy
 
Had a trip to see my grandaughter going back to school. In the BIG gate. Primary 3. Mrs Cappy and Lisanewmc are my kind of ladies! Just relinquished credit card to husband as a result of trip and earlier holiday. No longer have exuse that didn't spend for so long while immobilised. Hubby wants to know how long is long....answers on a postcard!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom