Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like nothing more sinister than tendonitis to me, Lisa. Most likely in the iliopsoas tendon from what you describe.
It's easily developed when you do to much walking or exercising. There is a stretch you can do to try and alleviate it - note the other advice about "a combination of medication, ice, rest, and gentle stretching" as well. Wonder where you've heard that before, eh? :snork:

And you could add in my usual recommendation of Tylenol 1,000mg plus ibuprofen 400mg 2-3 times a day as well.

Hope it soon clears up for you.
 
Thanks Jo, that's a great help. By the way is tylenol the same as paracetomol?:what:
 
PS You never cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge :ThankYou: I've just read through the information on the link and yes, as usual, you seem 100% correct in your diagnosis. You are worth your weight in gold - I feel so much better having read that.:wow2:
 
Yes, Lisa....paracetomol is the same as Tylenol (USA). It's acetaminophen, an excellent pain reliever when taken at it's full 1000mg per dose (up to 4000mg per 24 hours).
 
When you stretch, try to hold the stretch at the point of tension for about 30 seconds. Don' t bounce while you stretch---I have seen people try to do this and it causes much more harm. Just hold the stretch for about 30 seconds and repeat several times.
 
Thanks for the stretching advice. Have attempted them and was seeing a slight improvement. However, had my girlie weekend .....finally got around to testing out the danceability of my new hip. I had such a wonderful time, danced for England! Sunday my ankles and feet are puffed up....the left one is enormous! Today was the same and after a day at work I have no definition my ankle whatsoever. I also am aching from the ribs down......worth it though! I did refrain from getting up on the tables- unlike some of the group.

It will be my 6 month anniversary this week- the time has gone so quickly. I have received a letter about a physio appointment today too. It's for next week so I'm hopeful that my dancing aches will have subsided by then.;0)

There's always a price to pay......and you don't know if its too much until its too late.
 
Oh well Lisa, you gotta test the limits right? Rest and ice when you can. Things will settle quickly. Be sure and take some OTC pain relief. I am sure you will be dancing again soon! :dancy:
 
Hi Lisa,
despite the pain after your girlie weekend, I am still envious!
Hope you are feeling a lot better by now.
 
Quick update......anyone who's been following my thread will know that my case was not straightforward so I'm not 'text book'. I'm now 6 months post op and it feels like so many phases have passed. This week the swelling of my ankle (after dancing at the weekend) lasted until Wednesday . It subsided a bit overnight and bloated up through the day not painful but looked horrible.

The iliopsoas tendonitis is still there I'm taking paracetomol and ibuprofen (but intermittently) and stretching.....it seems to just 'be there'. It is not helping my gait and I'm a bit disappointed that my lurch is worse, as it had improved. Have now received an appointment for physio 20 th July- hopefully they will be able to advise....

Regarding day to day activities I'm pretty much as I was pre op but painfree so I figure anything beyond where I am now is a bonus. I've settled back into my job, still tired at the end of each day but nothing new there. I'm being assessed on Monday at my workplace for a chair and anything else that might help my comfort. Still a bit stiff if I sit too long and uncomfortable because the seat of my chair isn't supporting right to the back of my knees.

So , that's me 6 months down the line. Ps. Still not smoking- last cigarette was on the morning of my op- very pleased about that. Thanks again to all my friends here who continue to support me through my journey.
 
Lisa - I don't there are very many "text book" hippies out there.

Well done on coping with all the bumps in the recovery road. And quitting smoking - that's a huge challenge! :thumb:
 
No, I don't suppose many of us are 'text book' are we? I was just concerned that anyone pre op reading might be disconcerted by my tales of woe:doorscary::doorscary:

Got a 40th birthday party tonight and a hen night tomorrow but will attempt to keep the partying low key this weekend! :egypt-dance:
 
I think it's important that people see these threads and understand that no one is a text book case and that hardly any hip replacements are completely plain sailing, otherwise where would they turn to address their concerns?

It's all very well for surgeons and hip replacement manufacturers to talk glowingly about their 'services', but we need the 'other side' as well. I think this gives us confidence that when we have a bit of a setback we are not somehow a rare case, because that could be more scary.
It also gives us confidence when we read threads like yours and discover that, despite complications, you are in a better place than you were 6 months ago.

Enjoy the party Lisa. And going to a hen night sounds great....:thumb:

(And I wish I could stop smoking too :blush:)
 
Yes Jo, I am fortunate that my employer takes their duty of care very seriously if you raise issues with them. I had my workplace assessment today, organised by the 'access to work' gov dept. they recommended a few physical changes around my workstation and are recommending a specific chair to meet my needs.....all kinds of adjustable bits including a split seat so I may have my legs at varying heights for maximum comfort. sounds a bit odd but the physio who came to assess me said it should really help me be more comfortable. my employer will be footing the bill for the chair. Apparently it comes for a 3 week trial and will be adjusted specifically for. me in situ........my own personalised throne lol .....I'm so glad I asked the question otherwise I wouldn't have known this service was possible.
 
Hi Lisa,
Interested to read about your new throne :th_heehee:

I'm also being assessed for a chair - I would be interested to know what your physio has recommended nas unsure whether the person who will assess me will know what to look for.

Thanks
Jyoti
 
Will let you have the details Jyoti , when I get the report......she said it would take a few days.
 
Still waiting for the report regarding my new chair. Have my appointment with a physio this Weds, not sure what I'm expecting from that. My original intention was to ask for help to minimise my limp as much as possible, a few weeks ago I was feeling like it could be a possibility but now I'm not so sure.....the tendonitis has been a setback and I've been finding it hard to focus on the 'straight' walking. We shall see what she says:skeptical:

I'm pleased to report that the tendonitis is feeling much better generally (6 weeks down the line!) The stretching exercises have helped and I've managed to fit a couple of swimming sessions in over the past 2 weeks too. (I've really missed my 'silver haired' friends at the sedate swim since I've been back at work.)

I'm VERY cross with myself though as I took my phone into the pool last week :cry:......I have this habit of tucking it into my bra when I don't have a pocket:blush:, absent mindedly tucked it into my swimming costume......15 lengths later I realised :DOH:

I used my phone to check up on here at least once a day and I am so missing out on what's going on with everyone's progress - sitting in my study at the pc just isn't the same.
 
Hi Lisa, sorry about your tendinitis and the bumpy road of recovery. I am almost 8 weeks now and happy with the new hip and the chronic pain gone. Still look weird learning to walk, coping with pain in the good hip, tendinitis in both wrists, but I guess that's the aftermath and recovery will take a while. Hey, you gotta dance, lucky you! Haven't attempted that in a decade. Good luck.
 
PS: Had some nice girlie outings, lunches, a pedicure and shopping during recovery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom