THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I went shopping with my two daughters :th_heehee::th_heehee: We walked to the station (just over half a mile), took the train to the centre of Glasgow, did some shopping (no shoes for me but got some sandles for the girls), had lunch in Marks and got the train home and walked back from the station. I also did most of it without my stick.

Woo Hoo

Nancy
 
Hi Nancy sounds like you had a lovely trip,i was wondering how your recovery was going,i havn't seen an updated one from you for a while
 
Hi Lisa,

Hope you had a great girlie weekend! Those are so much fun! I'm glad that your tripping didn't cause any long-term problems. I, too, have that clumsiness "syndrome." I've always had it, and it hasn't gone away with my new hip. :sigh: I've tripped a few times "on thin air" recently, but nothing at all serious. I just have to remind myself to pay attention to where I'm walking -- my friends say I walk with my head in the clouds instead of my feet on the ground. Ah well, at least I can walk again!!

Joan
 
Lisa, you are really doing well. I'm so happy for you. Here's hoping it continues right on track!
 
Sounds like you're really getting your life back now Lisa, well done.

And no, I never take our beautiful countryside for granted, I really love living here. Mind you, the grass isn't always greener, it does have it's drawbacks at times, but all in all I feel very lucky to live here. I'm really a born and bred Londoner, although I've lived in Yorkshire most of my adult life and consider it my home now.

Rather like townies like a break to the country, we country bumpkins enjoy a city visit to London to see family :thumb:.
 
Yep, getting my life back......wk 2 of being back at work full time. EXHAUSTING!!!!! I'm just managing to cook dinner and then sit down to relax in front of the tv, next thing I wake up to see the credits of whatever I started watching!! Zzzzzzz - ha ha that is the life I have at the moment.

Hip wise I'm at a plateau still. Exercise has just been day to day activities since my walk in the dales. I fear I overdid it .....had some soft tissue discomfort and its taking its time to mend. Because of this forum I'm not concerned- just resting it, otc meds, ice ....you all know the score. Not news yet from physio regarding an appointment. Walking is getting easier. Yesterday I managed ' the hill' within work with ease and at quite a fast pace without my stick....progress indeed. I used to really struggle up it even with my stick. Wahey!

Great to hear everyone elses experiences.- thanks for dropping by.
 
Doesn't it give you a bit of a glow when everyday things are easier than before.

it makes it all worthwhile!

enjoy your snoozes in front of the TV - I can personally recommend the theraputic value of them!
 
Yes Dave, I do get a glow. I find I'm really appreciative of the little everyday things that seem so much easier to do when you're pain free. Long may the novelty factor last! Walked to school to collect my son on Friday for the first time .......no car required! The main issue I have now is being too wary, I've spent so long being 'unable' I think I'm perhaps capable of more than I think I am. I'll carry on setting little challenges and see how far I get.
 
OH, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT & ABOUT AGAIN!
After I had my right THR in Dec 2010 I couldn't get off crutches at all as I was down to have the left THR done as well & the pain in the left side was too bad to walk without them although I had no pain anymore in the right side.
Its now 6 weeks post op for the left THR & am seeing surgeon tomorrow for check up - feeling good, will be feeling better when get OK to start driving again!
Haven't been to shops on my own since Nov 2010 as we live in small market town & automatic doors haven't arrived here yet! Trying to manage 2 crutches, handbag, heavy doors & shopping bags is a definate no-go area! :cry:
Hubby has been fine at following instructions on shopping list but always pops in extras & shopping bill has spiralled out of control (not just because of higher prices!!) - looking forward to bringing it within budget again!
A shopping trip to Meadowhall in the next few weeks is on the cards too - fed up with ordering clothes online & not liking them when they arrive, you can't beat actually touching clothes before you buy them!
Actually looking forward to going back to work & doing housework - must be mad!
Have decided to do Yoga or Pilates too when off crutches - although how long I'll stick to that is another matter! :wink1:

Had wonderful surgeon & hospital team at Nottingham City Hospital - no pain in either hip at all, just a bit of soreness at latest wound site which will go soon. Usual tiredness & muscle ache when overdoing it but a couple of paracetemols soon cures that.

If anyone has had one THR & needs the other hip done too & the op pain/recovery is putting them off my advice is to definately have it done - I wasn't looking forward to the 2nd op but am so glad I went ahead with it - future now looks brighter! :flowerysmile:
 
Hi sharonann city hospital is so close to me I reckon I could walk it there these days! Enjoy the shopping, don't spend too much!
 
Hi Lisa, I havn't been on here for a while as sooooo busy with end of year stuff at work. Nice to read about you getting out and about. I am counting the days till the end of term. Then no more reports, IEP, or lesson plans.
Cathy
 
Hi Cathy nice to hear from you...figured you were busy. It's back to real life and we become less reliant on our virtual family for support.....little chicks flying the nest! So is that you done apart from supply work at the end of this term? We too are heading fast to the end of the academic year and there is so much to do its scary, taking up all my head space and not a lot of me time any more :cry4: I'm coming to the end of my first year in post (even though I had 4 months off) and I have a lot to prove in terms of results!

It's a week since my last post and I'm still feeling uncomfortable in the groin area when I move my leg, particularly inward/upwards, not necessarily more painful when walking. I'm getting a bit concerned now .......it's 3 weeks since the walk when I think I overdid and caused this. Should it be better? Should I get it checked out? I mentioned it at my OS clinic appointment 2 weeks ago and they didn't seem concerned. .....but I'm now hearing about bursa in another thread :scratch:
 
Hallo again, Lisa,

I'm a little further along the road than you are and I have still not stopped having mishaps like the one you describe. I still can't walk with absolute freedom after nearly seven months.

Bursitis is an unpleasant condition, in which the tendon won't slide freely through the sheath that protects and lubricates it. If you have mistreated it in some way, it will have responded by forming crystals or just sticky fluid. When you want it to move freely, it won't, because the lubrication has failed. When full lubrication returns you will move OK again. Trouble is it can take some time.

I once ran a marathon with one shoe tied too tightly. The result was soreness on top of the affected foot. I wasn't able to return to running for more than a week. Walking was bad enough. The plain fact is that whatever caused the problem will stop it from mending if you are still doing it. So do something else instead and wait for it to mend.

All the best, you seem to be doing fine,

Alan
 
Hello there ladies, just want to add my 2 cents now. Today it's been 4 weeks post op, and my friend drove me to the doctor for more medication, then for a lovely, girly lunch buffet style. It was hilarious because I am on 2 crutches toe touch weight bearing. My friend was filling my plate and taking it to the table. I had to ask a guy if he could kindly push my chair in so I'm closer to the plate. I cannot sit close enough to the table and eat properly. I had fun, wonderful outing, came home, took 2 pills and napped. I am down to one nap now. Can't wait to put that leg down, walk and go shopping again one day.
 
I've been experiencing groin pain now for almost 4 weeks. It's a dull ache. It gets worse when I move my leg eg raising knee towards chest when lying or if I stretch out my leg. It's worse when I'm in bed and trying to get comfy. I think it started after I did a "too long for me" walk. I mentioned it at OS clinic 8 June but she didn't seem concerned at that point.......but shouldn't it be better by now?
I have avoided all my exercises so as not to make it worse. I've done only normal day to day activities, used my stick for any walking longer than 5 mins, tried the pain meds, ice etc......is it time to contact a doctor or am I being unrealistic on timescales? It's starting to get me down- its like going back in time, having an annoying ache and uncomfortable feeling constantly (obviously though not as painful).

Could someone tag Jo for me please? (The tag option isn't available on my phone version of the forum.) Ive got my girlie weekend starting Fri and I was hopeful that I'd be taking them on the same walk I did.......feeling a bit glum and despondent :0(
 
Really sorry to hear about your groin pain.

Maybe you pulled it. Sorry I can't help but maybe some heat might help. Why not go to the pool to do some exercises or go to a spa and treat yourself.:thumb:

I'm sure Jo and the others will help you soon.

I would get in contact with the OS again - ring his/her PA.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your girlie weekend:friends:
 
Thanks Jyoti.....will try heat. I'm hoping it is just some kind of strain and nothing more sinister. You know when your imagination runs away .....
 
Hi Lisa, I'll tag Jo for you @Josephine:

Are you doing anything different that might have aggravated your hip? Staying on your feet longer than before, any chores or driving for longer periods? As you get more active you sometimes push too hard. I think you are wise to lay off the exercise for now and let things settle.

Let's see what Jo recommends.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom