THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lisa,

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your posts about your walks! You certainly deserve the great feelings and sense of accomplishment. You're right that those types of experiences are awaiting us all in the very near future thanks to our new hips.

Thanks for posting the photos, too. What lovely countryside you were walking through -- and wow! your path was not a cake-walk! You should be very proud of yourself.

Here's to many, many more exciting and happy times like these for you! :ccheers:

Joan
 
Ah AnnaRose the classic desert boot- good choice! Very comfy.

Joan I'll think of you over the next couple of days in the dales and post some more photos. The scenery there is just stunning. It won't be long before you are out and about yourself enjoying outdoor activities. And you're right it was no cake walk, if you'd shown it me beforehand I wouldn't have attempted it, thinking it would be too much. I can only go on my previous experience which was anything further than around 100 yds caused extreme pain and terrible after effects for ages......every day is a learning curve. I'm still achey today but I'm perversely enjoying the aches as it reminds me of my achievements.

Better go and pack.:0)
 
Wonderful updates Lisa! I am so glad you are starting to see the benefits of THR!

Enjoy your trip to the Dales! The weather is supposed to be perfect. :dancy:
 
Wow, wow, wow!! Another amazing day .....I've been out with my magic pole and had a great walk!! I'm exhausted now and struggled a bit on the way back to the car but I think that was down to stamina more than anything, the sun was shining brightly and it was hot on my back. My lower back ached too. I am just so excited that I'm able to walk around our beautiful countryside though and see such amazing views that I could never see before. We walked in the Ribble Valley near Gisburn Forest and Stocks reservoir.......and Joan, as promised I thought of you and took a few pics...hope they download ok.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110602_201141.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 172
  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110602_201522.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 177
Crashed....here's a couple more
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110602_201710.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 175
  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110602_201952.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 170
Lisa, thanks so much for the photos!! I assume that's you in the first one with your walking stick -- you look so happy and strong! And the countryside -- oh, it just makes me want to bad to get back to the UK--you have such wonderful walking trails through your gorgeous country. In my area of the U.S., anyway, we don't have anything like that. I've always been impressed with the way you Brits support trekking through the countryside.

I'm so glad to hear that you're doing so well on this trip, Lisa. It does give me hope for my own summer vacation in July.

Thanks again for the photos!
Joan
 
Yes, that's me in the first pic with my lovely new pole....back home now from a lovely few days away. Back to the reality of food shopping, washing clothes and chores :0(

Back to work full time on Monday after my phased return and a check in at the OS clinic on Wednesday- I feel like I've travelled such a long way since my last appointment.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend friends.
 
Good luck next week Lisa! Wow - full time. Be sure and rest when you can! Let us know how it goes.
 
By the way - I joined the purple Keens club yesterday. Would have never gone for purple but I can use my shoe lift in them and they are SO comfortable!
 
Hee hee pleased that you got your sandal/ shoe lift problem sorted Jaycey......and even better it was with the help of a bit of purple!

Well, I'm just catching up on reading threads, feet up with a glass of wine before I cook dinner. I've been on my feet all day and spent it doing chores preparing for full time work - eek!! The great thing is though, that it's only my feet that are aching- in my past life I would be in agony long before now.:.........I love my new hip.
 
Hi Lisa - well done you with your walking, what a great achievement and a reward for all you have been through in the last few months! :yay: Pat on the head and a chocolate biscuit as my Dad used to say! (I say forget the pat on the head malarkey, just go for the chocolate buscuit:th_heehee:)

I have used walking poles for some time now, particularly when my hip got to the 'permanent limp' stage and my glutes started to burn after half a dozen steps! I found that two were a lot better than one as it gave me greater stability and walking was much more efficient, especially up and down hills. I couldn't see if you were using 2 but it would make a big difference to your walking - and apparently it uses up 10% more energy too and tones upper arms so makes your walk less stressful and more calorie burning - a good reason for even more chocolate biscuits!

And now you are out walking, that's a great excuse - sorry, that should be valid reason - for even more retail therapy - there's some really funky outdoorsy stuff out there!:biggrin:

Sue
 
Wow Lisa, wow. Well done for all the walking. I am sooo sooo lucky, I live with great countryside all round me (Yorkshire Wolds) and can walk like that every day if I wish. It really does your heart good to get back to nature doesn't it. And I don't mean in the physical health sense, just the way it lifts your spirits. I love our hills and woods.

Looks like you had a good time. And your progress is amazing.
 
Wow Kim - how lovely to live in that countryside. Do you ever take it for granted? Us city dwellers really appreciate the views when we get out and about. I particularly love being up high (anywhere actually - not just in the country side) it really does lift your spirits. I spent most of last week just looking out with a big smile on my face, soaking it all up..............and patting myself on the head for having the belief and confidence to try something that I physically haven't been able to do for years. Sue - I need to step away from the biscuits.....my weight issues are well documented earlier in my thread :th_heehee:

Bit of a bummer today though.....finding my chair very uncomfortable at work as it isn't quite deep enough, I'm finding pressure on my 'under thigh' and it's bothering me. (Been promised a personalised new one but it's going to take a while)Then I trip over my own feet as I get out the car on my return from work, I land heavily on my 'bad' foot and jolt my hip so that it really hurts. That was 3 hours ago and I still feel uncomfortable......rest, ice, elevate, meds????:scratch:

OS clinic tomorrow - feel a bit disappointed that I was clumsy because I wanted to show off on how well I was doing :cry4: Hopefully I've done no long term damage. Does anyone else have hyper mobility syndrome? Apparently 'clumsiness' is a symptom.:skeptical: Tripping up the stairs etc bumping into things all the time? Having Xrays (again) on arrival and will be asking about bio mechanics/physio - it's nearly 6 months since my op! Where has that time gone?

By the way - my job is HARD.............forgotten how tired I get, asleep on the sofa by 8.45pm last night! :sleepz:Wish I could retire and just go swimming and walking:old:
 
Hope you can take things a bit easier Lisa. Working is hard enough - but working just post-op is really tough.

Please let us know how your appointment goes!
 
My appointment went well. No need to go back unless there are any problems until January 2012!! They are happy with my progress but I asked to be referred for physio which is going ahead. This is to help to improve my glute group of muscles. Today I discovered that the way I walk is called the Trendelenburg lurch! My walk has its own name. The clinician told me that because of this (over years and years) my limp can probably be improved but is unlikely to go completely. I am not affecting the progress by not always using a walking aid (unlike a normal THR patient in recovery) so I'm pleased to hear that. She told me not to beat myself up about it .....and I was a bit .....you know the ' my neighbour brothers wife ' syndrome - she had a THR and there was no sign of a limp after 3 months.

I asked if my other hip has signs of wear and tear but it's fine. She said my right knee is probably the joint to be affected by compensating for weakness. I have signs of crunching already.....so I will continue with the glucosaumine and chondroitin even though the jury is still out on them. My trip yesterday hasn't seemed to have caused any damage.

All in all I feel good after today.
 
Good for you, AnnaRose....they sure look comfortable!
 
First full week back at work completed this year- approx 40 hours. It's been tiring but I feel glad to be in this new phase of recovery. As Tim says its just now that I'm really starting to see the benefits of THR and how new opportunities and experiences are there for taking.

I had some of my friends round last night. We are going stay at my sister's caravan for a girlie weekend soon and were planning our activities.......I'm taking them on the walk that we did last week!! Also, they surprised me with champagne - we had a toast to celebrate my new life that includes pain free walking. I was really touched......hic!

New hip, new life. Have a great weekend everyone.:0)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom