Guest viewing is limited

THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you see - all this talk of purple and purple Keens got me curious. I have now bought a pair of sandals online. I never buy buy shoes online.....Well the shop does have free returns I suppose. I have ordered the purple Venice sandals, they do looks nice and great for all the walking I hope to able to do come summer time. I'm still waiting for summer - although apparently it may have already happened during April while I was in hospital having my op :hissyfit:
 
Yep - summer was over the Easter weekend. I was in Spain where it rained for the week! Glad to see that you are joining in fully with the spirit of things Nancy got any pics of the new shoes?:thumb:

just realised ................that's 3 pairs of new shoes in the past few days! You really are going for the shopaholic title :loll:
 
just realised ................that's 3 pairs of new shoes in the past few days! You really are going for the shopaholic title :loll:

I'm making up for lost time - over the past 6 years or so I have bought nothing but plain black Clarks children's school shoes - initially lace ups and then over the last 12 months I was forced to switch to slip ons. I think it is the novelty.

I wonder how long it will be until I can reach my feet again and maybe I can paint my toenails. It must be about 6 years since I have done that as well!
 
Nancy, that's the same ones I have. If the sizing is right, you will LOVE them. This is interesting....I went up half a size after surgery. Wonder why?
 
This is not fair!! I can't be kept out of the shopping of shoes :th_heehee:

Right, I will now have to start to look for some nice new clothes and new shoes:yay:
 
Oh dear, purple Keens??? Fingers, do NOT open Google search, do NOT type in those words; remember you have just ordered new shoes....!!! :loll:

I have worn Clark slip-ons for the past two years -- the same ones, in fact, because I'm assured of their comfort. I also have Keen hiking shoes I wear to go more than a few blocks, but they're that boring tan-greenish color. Oh to have purple shoes that also feel good on my feet!!! My heart thumps with anticipation!! :wub2:

On a less serious note ( :th_heehee: ), I've been told my many in the health-care field that there IS such a thing as muscle memory, which is why repetitions of the same movement are so valuable. That's also why, they say, the longer one's walked with a limp, the longer it takes to train the muscles to walk without it. I was falling back into my old limp after my first surgery in December; now I've promised myself (and my partner, who noticed my returning limp) to keep using a cane or walking stick until my muscles have learned a normal gait. Already I think I'm way ahead of where I was at this time after the first surgery.

Joan <running off to search for purple Keens....>
 
Nancy, that's the same ones I have. If the sizing is right, you will LOVE them. This is interesting....I went up half a size after surgery. Wonder why?

They arrived this afternoon - I did need my husband's help to put them on so I didn't break my 90 degree rule, but they seem really comfortable. They didn't slip at the back at all, which is my usual problem area. I got the US size 9 (UK 6.5) - I did only find one shop that did the half sizes though. Shame they are not more widely available in this country. Actually, maybe that is a good thing :snork:

Now all I need is for the weather to improve so I can wear them :rolleyes:

Nancy
 
Based on my experiences this weekend I feel that another new shoe purchase could be justified. We've been on our annual camping trip with friends and I actually managed to participate in not one but TWO walks!!!! How excited am I???

It felt absolutely amazing to be able to join in, see the beautiful countryside views and have a well deserved pint in the village pub after the walking. Both walks were approx 2-3 miles in total, with picnic and pub stops they made for very pleasant holiday weekend afternoons.

There were quite a few stiles to navigate and the pathways were quite uneven, several hills too, so it was an enormous achievement for me. I got a real buzz after the first stile and got quite emotional as I was walking through the fields with wild poppies and rodedendrons. My friends were just as excited as I was and made a toast to me around the campfire last night. I'd bought one of those hiking poles that has a bit of suspension and that was brilliant to use. I did get quite swollen ankles and achey legs after the first walk and thought I might not be able to do the Sunday one as well........but my friends thoughtfully looked up another fairly short walk (2 miles) and everyone did that. We walked through cow fields, over stiles again, pic nicked in a buttercup meadow and saw some amazing hill top views- stunning. I did struggle a bit on the hills but the pole helped. We rested with beers for an hour or so and then walked back.

I have very sore muscles today but it was worth every minute of stiffness and swelling to have joined in with the other happy campers. There were 14 adults and 15 kids ranging from 3-14 in the group. We made an interesting group . I'm very tired now but still on a high. So proud of what I've achieved.......deserve a pair of proper walking boots now for all future jaunts....maybe even purple keens?? ROFL
 
Photo from the hill top, you can see the village we are walking to in the backround......
 
Pics
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110530_231219.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 193
  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110530_231321.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 208
Sounds like a lovely walk, I bet you felt well chuffed at the end of that :thumb: I used a walking pole when I did the West Highland Way a few years ago. I think they are great, and they don't look like "Hey look at me I have a walking stick". Baby buggies are good for that too :secretaea:

Nancy
 
What a beautiful place to walk! Sounds like you have a perfect weekend. I'm so happy for you.
 
I am still on a high from the weekend and did another walk today. It was only a short walk around the park with the dog once we'd collected him from the boarding kennels but that is something I never would've dreamt of before THR. I'm still quite sore in my muscles but figure I needed to do something to stop them getting very stiff. It was lovely just strolling around as a family. I waited so long for this and now I feel, 5 months down the line, that I'm starting to actually see what I am going to be capable of doing. It's a bit scarey to challenge yourself without knowing i$ it will be too much.......but if I stick to what I know then at least I know it will be pain free.....but hey, I'm not really that kind of girl. I'm only just feeling brave enough to push myself and the walks at the weekend were real confidence boosters.

Thanks for the support and helping me to determine that yes, indeed, it is time for more retail therapy around the walking shoe dept!!!

Off to another area of great beauty tomorrow, the Yorkshire Dales, for a few days. The weather forecast is good so hopefully I'll be able to share some more active experiences......if anyone pre op is reading and wondering if its worth it the answer is yes! Life is good :0)
 
Lisa, your trip sounds so wonderful! And yes, you definitely deserve a new pair of shoes. I decided that I deserved them, too, what with having gone through major surgery! So I bought them today -- yes, Clarks! -- although not purple. Nothing like shopping to get the mind off of my hip. Retail therapy is very good...and much more fun than physical therapy!

Here are my new Clarks. I hope I can figure out how to attach the pic. They are soooo comfortable!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    DESERT_BOOT.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom