THR Shopping Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa

If you thought the problem you had at work was bad I can give you an absolute stoater.
When working in a previous section of the council I had the experience of having to deal with a woman who was a control freak and in charge of me at the time.
She couldn't suffer any of her staff being out of her sight for a second, one of my colleagues approached me upset and advised me that this irresponsible person went out in the car the day before and tried to follow me to find out were I was as she thought I was skiving but in fact was doing work she had given me a couple of days before.
I confronted the union and I ended having a meeting with the area manger who was present as I felt I was being victimized, as the meeting progressed there was talk of implementing support for this clown of a woman who followed me in the car.
I nearly totaly lost the plot but kept calm and asked to speak to the area manager at the end of the meeting to pass on my concerns. Needles to say nothing came of it and I had to find other employment within the council to get away from this clown.
Oh and that area manager left his area and guess what he is now my manager now.
But honest we do get on and when he was introduced to all the staff on the floor when it came to me he smiled and replied oh I know Billy alright :snork:
 
I'm finding that I'm a bit slack on doing the boring pt exercises- I'm a bit hit and miss with them. I have absolutely NO 'balance-ability' when standing on my op leg unless I tilt right over. I think the tilting is not a good thing? Anyone know?

That tilt suggests a weakness in your gluteus medius muscle. That's very common after THR. As you increase the strength in that muscle, the tilt should decrease somewhat. You can strengthen it through boring PT exercises, like side leg lifts and clamshells.:wink1:
 
Thanks for that Alex. I'm doing both of those exercises ......just not very well. I can see an improvement with the clam- gone from zero to a few inches of lifting. But regarding the side lifts I can only do them if I really hang onto something with all my might or or I tilt.......think its going to be a long time coming! Lol
 
If you're tilting when you do this one

[Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips


then you aren't going to benefit from it and it's not a good thing for your back.

I would do this one instead

[Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips


until it gets really easy and then try the standing version again. Try not to let your back curve side to side though.

Unless I totally misinterpreted what you meant, in which case, please do set me straight! :biggrin:
 
My limp has been part of me for a long time and I have weird relationship with it! I could not bear to watch myself walking on video for example and would always feel very self conscious walking across a large empty room, knowing that my limp would then be extremely noticeable. I hate to think that if someone was describing me they would need to use my limp ....you know the kind of thing " Lisa, she's got dark hair about 5ft 4, walks with a limp". On the other hand it's a part of me, nothing I could about it and I have never focussed on my disability or let it get in the way of me achieving things. Inevitably it has stopped me from doing physical things, especially as the pain got worse but it's not like I used to be a gymnast and had to stop or anything.

If this is as good as it gets then I'm fine with that, I'm walking much better than I used to and I don't have pain.:yay: But IF I can do other stuff to make it even better then I want to work at it now before it's too late, kind of give it my best shot so I don't regret the missed opportunity - does all that make sense or am I just waffling on?:scratch:

So, I'll be asking the questions in a couple of weeks. Based on your responses it seems there are things that can be done and I just need to know if they can be done specifically for me :what:

Hi Lisa,

I really resonate with what you wrote. It's weird when you have a disability and how you deal with it. I had my limp from a child and even so still didn't like it and suddenly after the surgery you just hope it goes.

As a child it's understandable but you assume as an adult you get used to it and deal with it, which you do mostly but there always seems to be (for me anyway) an issue.

I would be very interested to know about the bio mechanic/physio to help with your walking. I had asked my Physio who just told me to strengthen my hip muscles and all will be well. I'm not sure as when you walk awkwardly for many years it doesn't go by itself.

Also as we seem to have a similar history, I read that you had said somewhere you had 16 weeks off before going back to work. Was there a reason for this?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I'm really interested ( possibly a bit nosey as well :th_heehee:)

Jyoti
 
Hi ALex....you got the exercise bang on, will take your advice and try the ones on the bed. At the moment I can do that but it is quite difficult still.

Jyoti - I had noticed that our histories are quite similar. I've had my limp since I was 9, my surgeries before then hadn't made me limp. I think I was more aware by that age and probably just got into bad habits- who knows? It's good to hear someone knows where I'm coming from.

To answer your question I had 16 weeks off on the advice of my GP. He has been very protective of me and I think this is because of my history but primarily due to where I work. I work in a male prison and going back too early would make me very vulnerable and a security risk . I am still needing my walking stick for outdoor walking due to muscle weakness, my limp gets bad after about 5 minutes of walking. It isn't advisable for me to be walking around inside the establishment with a stick or crutch. I've also been at the OS clinic at 6 wks, 12 weeks and due to go back second week in June- they are keeping a close eye on my OS handiwork. There were issues around femural weakness due to congenital deformity and an accidental operative fracture in 93.......all this meant I was only partially weight bearing until 6 weeks and restrictions weren't lifted until around 13 wks. I think the combination of all of these issues have added to the 'delay' in going back to work. Hope this answers your questions? And I don't mind you being nosey LOL.- its good to compare notes with a 'twin'.
 
Thanks Lisa. Yes, we are 'twins'. I was 7 when I got my limp, after my first set of surgery. You're right that over the years I'm sure I also got into bad habits in walking, and probably over compensated. I was also given a huge heel lift at that time to wear and of course I didn't which affected my back also, but luckily no spinal problems.

I saw my OS at 6 weeks and have an appt for 12 weeks. Unsure if he'll give me another appt. as he had said he was pleased with my surgery and never said he had any concerns.

Doubt if I'll be able to take 16 weeks off, as I have no good reason, but hoping to take 12 weeks so I can recover as much as possible.

I'm probably late in saying this but I love the Title of this thread as that's one of the first things I said after having the surgery was that I needed to go to the shops and by myself a new wardrobe with lots of lovely new shoes :th_heehee:

Looking forward to that :biggrin:

Look forward to hearing how your next OS appt. goes.

Jyoti
 
I must admit to gazing adoringly in shop Windows. I love shoes but I'm in a rut......its either birkenstocks or these......So comfy I'm on my 3rd pair of black ones so just had to get white for the summer. I have noticed that they are wearing a lot more evenly post op. Lots of kitten heels etc in the wardrobe but I don't feel steady enough to balance on them yet- here's hoping I'll be able to walk in them a bit better soon and free them from the wardrobe......at least my shoes still fit- unlike my clothes LOL
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Shopping Trips
    ForumRunner_20110523_233354.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 150
I've been wearing my wonderful sturdy Keens for about 4 years now....summer and winter. They are comfortable and cute, and I have them in black to make sure I can wear them for dressy occasions.

However, they are hardly "fashionable", especially for dressy occasions! I have been fantasizing about new shoes, and maybe being able to wear something with a bit of a heel.

So what did I buy for my first pair of new shoes, post surgery? Another pair of identical black Keens. I've been having trouble with shin splints, and Jaycey suggested I get new shoes since my heels were probably worn down. She was spot on.....haven't had any problem since I got a new pair.

I am still thinking a pair of fashion boots in the fall. I'll forgo the 4 inch spike heel. But I'd sure love a two inch wedge. Is this too much to hope for?

Sharon

(Forbesy...hope we aren't chasing you away with shopping talk. :)
 
I went out and bought 2 pairs of shoes in a closing down sale for a local shoe shop last Friday. I got a pair of lovely red sandals (although the weather so far has not permitted me to wear them - I've even got the roofer coming out today to fix tiles that came down in a storm a couple of days ago :hissyfit:) I also got a pair of black dressy shoes with a bit of a wedge heel and a strap. I hope they stay comfortable. I usually hate shoe shopping as I have narrow feet (particularly a narrow heel) and shoes often end up rubbing and become unwearable. On a day to day basis I've been wearing Clarks childrens shoes cos they come in narrow width fittings. Not the most stylish thing though. Why is it easy to buy "sensible" ladies shoes in wide fittings, but not narrow ones :what: I've been looking forward to wearing "grown up" shoes since my op :th_heehee:

Nancy
 
Nancy - Those shoes in my pic are Clarks- you can't beat them for sensible shoes. They have some really funky ones these days too but as you say, the width fittngs are standard or wide on the whole. I just can't really walk steadily in any kind of heel really so tend to only wear anything other than flats if I'm not on my feet much. I've got the hope that once I'm stronger I'll become steadier and be able to give my shoe collection an airing.

Speaking of getting stronger I've been suffering today and needed meds for the first time in ages.:0( I did my clam exercises yesterday but also came out of work via an alternative route which involves a quite steep hill. I used to always have to use my stick for this route because it hurt......yesterday (being pain free) I did it without my stick. By 8pm yesterday I felt sore, both in my groin area and laterally just above my knee, my glute too. I was uncomfortable through the night so took cocodamol this morning and had some otc stuff since. Feeling a bit crossed with myself and hoping it will ease off soon. We are off camping at the weekend and I so want to be able to do the walk to the picnic area with everyone else. I'm resting now and have my feet up.
 
You have such good taste Margo!! So many of my clothes are purple too....as are the things in my house! I love purple, I also like green and purple together.
 
Good luck with the picnic area, Lisa. Soft tissue injuries from playing sports should heal in 3-4 days for people in your age group. It takes me 5.

Is it the picnic spot by Black Rocks at Cromford? That's quite a climb. Mind you, there is not a lot of flat around Matlock.

All the best,

Alan
 
Thanks for that info Alan, as you might imagine I'm not used to ' sports injuries'. The picnic spot is the 9 ladies stone circle, quite high up but a fairly easy walk for the kids (mostly under 10's) from the campsite. The walk is usually finished off with a couple of beers in a pub....I'm usually driving.
 
Purple Keens!! I want purple Keens!! I need purple Keens!! Next shoe sale at my local Keens carrier and I am for sure getting purple Keens!!
 
You sound like that character in Miss Congeniality played by Michael Caine

"Yes the crown ...
Feel the crown ....
You are the crown ....
BE the crown"!!!
 
I wear children's Keens. They are so wild and, since they cost half as much as women's shoes, I can buy twice as many! :dancy:
 
Alex, would that my feet were that small.

Sharon, right on! Purple people rule!

Lisa, I hear you. Most of the walls in my house are purple, varying from pale, pale lavender to quite dark. Just makes me feel good.

Purple is the color of royalty.:biggrin: It is also, anecdotally, the favored color of schizophrenics. :scratch:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom