THR Sharri Reaches the other side!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sharri, thanks for catching me up on your situation. I had to have both hips replaced due to dysplasia as well. I was a three-sport athlete in college and got diagnosed in my 20s with arthritis in the hips due to dysplasia. It went progressively downhill from there. One hip was definitely worse than another, so that one was replaced in April 2013. We thought the left hip would last a few more years, but it gave up soon after the first hip replacement, so I had that one replaced almost three weeks ago.

While my biomechanics are off from limping so long and one leg is more atrophied than the other, I didn't have a leg length differential to contend with, back issues, and trauma from multiple car accidents. I can completely understand why you need more time. In addition to healing from the surgery, you have to, as you said, really relearn to walk properly. Your muscles are probably very contracted and/or underused in places. Most of your muscles have been shaped from the day you took your first steps as a baby to walk in a way that accommodated the leg length differential. They are rebelling to the new regime.

I have heard that the common advice for hip replacement rehab is to walk. In your case, do you think you would benefit from working more closely with a physical therapist or someone else who can evaluate your muscle structure and get you rebalanced? That is usually outside of the OS' expertise.

I can share with you what I'm doing, which I was also doing before the surgeries to manage pain and prepare for the surgery. Once I hit the six-week mark and am freed from the hip precautions, I am going to see my kinesiologist. I will have him test my muscles and make sure they are all functioning. If you don't know what kinesiology is, it's a sub-specialty of chiropracty and focuses on soft tissue function. This guy has been a lifesaver to me the last couple years, as my muscles were so unhappy from all the limping. etc. I had joint pain, but the muscle pain also added up to a lot of pain. He minimized my pain coming from the muscles vs. the joint itself.

My kinesiologist is also certified in Graston technique, so I will have have him do that to break down the scar tissue and adhesions that happened as a result of surgery and can impede range of motion. I will also see the masseuse to work out any contracted muscles, and she can also break down scar tissue. I imagine this would be two-three visits and not a forever kind of thing.

I am then going to do individual Pilates sessions (probably 10 over a 6-week period) to restore symmetry and balance to the way I move. I did five sessions before I went for the second hip replacement, and I was amazed at how helpful it was. I'm going to do DPP Yoga (https://ddpyoga.com/ -- watch the video on the website page if you haven't seen it. It's so inspiring! DPP developed this program to deal with multiple back issues, so you may be interested in it.) DDP Yoga, which is reasonably priced, will be for balance, flexibility, and strength. Then I will do my regular elliptical workout at the gym for additional cardio.

You may wonder why I am tapping on so many people. From my experience of managing pain before the surgery and going through the first hip replacement, I know the joint replacement is only part of the solution and that you can't ignore the muscles and also poor biomechanics that have become habitual. If your muscles aren't functioning well, then PT and even walking can be counterproductive. Any way (and there are many) you can pursue to get muscles un-contracted and moving smoothly is so helpful. The other piece is restoring balance and symmetry to your gait. A great physical therapist can accomplish this, but in my case, I believe the Pilates trainer will be more successful based on what the trainer was able to do for me before the second hip replacement.

In any case, I thought I would mention my strategy to you, since you and I have the same congenital abnormality, and the condition may warrant some special attention to the muscles and biomechanics. Best wishes that every day gets a little better!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes feeling pretty good although I must confess I still went for a swim with my little girl today (couldn't help it, it was such a warm beautiful day!). I did however take it easy the rest of the day. Thanks for asking :)
I know for sure what you are talking about with being a perfectionist. I am the worst kind - instead of over achieving on everything, if I can't do it how I perceive it (whatever it is) to be as just right, I am paralyzed with fear of doing it wrong. I therefore avoid doing it at all until I feel I can do it right; and even then I am very hard on myself when I make the smallest mistake. It is something I've really tried to face & start to overcome during this recovery because I can't avoid this and I have to accept that there is no 'right' way to do this except for being in tune with your own body & following doctors instructions. I think that was one of the things making it so difficult (emotionally) in the beginning of my recovery. This is one of the reasons I a said be kind to you, it is a good lesson to learn and a hard one for us 'perfectionists' ;)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Sharri, I am a reformed perfectionist, and I can tell you without a doubt that letting go of perfectionism is a guaranteed way to speed your recovery!
 
I'm glad you got out and spending time with your little one swimming is a win win! Quality time with her and gentle exercise.... I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak avoiding things we can't do for fear of failure. Acceptance of the fact it will take time to heal is the starting point for me and are certainly on track there.

@cthipster your holistic approach sounds very positive. I had some energy healing prior to surgery. I had attended chiropractor but on examination she said I needed OS referral but a kinesiologist sounds good too. I was always afraid of yoga of pilates as my ROM was so poor but the new hip moves so much better I could try it.
 
Oh Sharri, so sorry you have been through this dark time but very pleased that you are now on the improve. I don't think there is one person here who has not overdone it at one point or another and it is a very individual thing about where that line in the sand is.
 
Bill is so right, we have to test our boundaries otherwise we have no idea where it is.. Do hope you are improving now :)
 
@NoraJ, I didn't mention it, but I do energy healing too. When I said I did about everything to avoid surgery, I did! Thank goodness, as the energy healing is the #1 most helpful thing to my general health and well-being. The kinesiologist doc I see is trained in a number of modalities, including energy healing, so when I see him, he takes care of my soft tissue function as well as clears my chakras.

Is your range of motion better now?
 
@cthipster. ..yes my range of motion is significantly improved. I hadn't realised how limited it had become but literally I could not abduct my legs. .. but I think with protrusio that would a typical presentation.... limitation of movement and then pain. One of the surgeons who was present at my op was very excited about it as my hip had broken through the acetablum and hence hip couldn't move.
 
@NoraJ, I'm so glad for you! If you've never done yoga or pilates, take it easy! There are many different types of yoga, and at least in the US, yoga has been turned into some kind of aerobic, competitive activity instead of a physical-spiritual practice. If the instruction is not good, it's easy to get injured. So if you're going to try it, try a very gentle yoga class where there are not too many people and the instructor can correct your movements.

With Pilates, I'm doing individual sessions on the apparati. I wouldn't attempt a group class at this point, because I wouldn't know what I was doing and wouldn't want to get injured.

I'm glad that you are able to think about what you can do vs. what you cannot. Exciting!
 
Sorry @Sharri didn't mean to digress to me there. I'm still a novice at forums.l and getting the hang of it.

I hope today is a better day!
 
Hi @ NoraJ and @cthipster :) Also @fulafoto & @Poppet :) thanks for your comments! It has been a busy week for me which is why I've not been on line. At the beginning of the week I cleaned and closed up the cabin then did the 4 hour drive home. Tues. I was back @ the hospital doing a physio follow up and the last two days I've spent catching up on things around home that needed doing and letting my little girl have some play dates. Needless to say today I am out for the count as I've overdone it and aggravated my bursitis in my operated hip and it has been really painful. I will try and take it easy today but have to get myself in gear because we are headed back up north again in the next day or two. It will be the last trip for the summer though and we will be there for a few weeks so it will be worth it. Good news as well the physiotherapist was quite happy with my progress and stepped up exercises with some new more difficult ones. I am still nervous that its not enough because as you said @cthipster I have not walked properly since I learned to walk and it is so much to ask your body to totally relearn everything! My worst fear is to have gone through all of this and still not walk properly. @cthipster thank you very much for all of the suggestions I think in September I may look into some yoga or pilates. I actually did yoga quite a bit in my 20's and 30's (even through my pregancy) and loved it because it was all about getting centred not just physically but mentally and the stretching felt amazing. But, as you mentioned now a days there seems to be so much of hot yoga and other more physically demanding yogas that as my mobility started decreasing I was afraid to do them and hurt myself. @NoraJ I hope you're feeling good and feeling better about your return to work - it must be hard to think about going back! I'll sign off for now but thanks again all for staying in touch. I will try and check in soon but if I get busy I will check in once I am back at the cabin having some r&r :)


Sharri -LTHR May 28th 2014 13 inch incision on side
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Sharri, sounds like you are jumping into life, and while your activity has aggravated your bursitis, I take it as a good sign that you are attempting all you are doing. At least try to schedule in daily downtime to ice, elevate the leg, and rest. Let someone else cook and clean.

Also, great news on your graduating to new exercises. From one perfectionist to another, I am going to tell you to reframe and CELEBRATE your progress. Take that worry and throw it into the lake or woods or wherever, as it's weighing you down. Since it took you 43 years to walk the way you've been walking, the least you could do is give yourself a good amount of time to rebuild your muscles and walk differently. What's the rush? You will get there, so enjoy the journey. :)
 
Hi @Sharri, good to hear fro. You. It's great the physio was happy with progress. Mine gave out to me when I went to her post op for having such high expectations so soon. The learning to walk differently is the challenge but it sounds like you're on top of it.

I hope you enjoy the last of the summer. The weather here has gotten cooler and wet but hopefully some sunshine will return as I've no doubt it's better for my mental health as well as my bones!
 
Hi @Sharri... I'm not sure if you've being checking in or not. But I hope all is good for you and your fully on the mend.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom