Guest viewing is limited

THR Sharri Reaches the other side!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sharri so glad you are doing better. Believe me, it really gets better and better each day. I hear a lot of people get the blues and that is very normal. It is a big trauma for body and lots of emotions involved. I am blessed to have side skipped some of the things like that in my recovery .. Although I want to just get up and go in my head and my body is definitely weakened . I find that keeping my head in the positive and fighting away those negative thoughts helps. You will be better than ever before you know it:) keep up the amazing work:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
hi again everyone! thanks for the responses! I'm really sorry i had you guys worried! I feel so supported by all of you and am so grateful. Today has been a so so day. Not much energy today. I also had myself worrying that I had a UTI & started to get myself all freaked out because they had told me UTI's were a big concern with a THR. I think I'm just being paranoid but in case started on Cranberry juice today and will have it checked @ the doc's tomorrow when I get the staples removed. Some good news that I haven't shared yet, my operated leg pre surgery was longer than non operated leg due to hip dysplasia. It caused a great deal of pain, instability, & ultimately led to the arthritis & THR. they are now even which is incredible to me, I couldn't be happier with that outcome! It has blown me away & I know when the healing pain is gone it will make a significant difference in my life and I am grateful for that! I hope everyone has had a good day today!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
That is really good news Sharri! It's amazing that you endured so many years without knowing about the dysplasia. I can feel from just the short time I've had it, that the length difference can really throw your whole body out of whack. I can't imagine what years of it would do. You will be twice as good as new when you've healed from the surgery!
 
Hi @Sharri, that is great news. It's funny cause my legs feel at odds length wise post op although PT said that sensation is normal... otherwise I'll be waiting to the L THR to sort me out! Once you are moving about you won't know yourself! As for suspected uti hopefully that is just the meds messing your system a little and it'll settle tomorrow. But even without a THR best to err on the side of caution with uti's. ..

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
My right leg was shorter, too, by 1-1/2 to 2 inches because of the deterioration of the OA. I've had to see a chiropractor every two weeks for years (she's like part of the family now) and I really believe she kept me on my feet til I could get this done! I can't tell you how many times I put my back out doing the simplest thing, and towards the end I'd have to stand on the ball of my right foot to even myself out or my back would spasm. My OS promised me - without me even bringing it up - that he'd do his very best to even out my leg length and HE DID! I couldn't be more thrilled. For me, being able to stand with both feet flat on the floor is just as amazing as not being in pain anymore! I haven't needed an adjustment in six weeks and my back feels awesome! We're going out tomorrow and I think we might just have to stop by and show her how great I'm doing. It's been 5 weeks yesterday since surgery and I'm finally allowing myself to get excited about my future! Very welcome feeling after almost 10 yrs of constant, debilitating pain. I feel 30 years younger. God is good!!!
 
@CodeGirl & @NoraJ what @moms4tne described is exactly what life was like for me too. My chiropractor has also been my hero because he gave me at least some of my mobility but his adjustments would usually only last 3 - 4 days before I was out again & couldn't do much. But I can't tell you how many times I was so thankful to have him because at least I could get some releif! I am looking forward to having the same hope and outlook as you @moms4tne :). Not feeling the best today but going for my appointment with my family doc to get staples out and will get him to test for the UTI. Wish me luck!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Sharri, Good luck firstly perhaps you're already feeling better.... I was fortunate in that my initial presenting issue to OS was limitation of movement but now I realise years of knee pain, ankle pain and coccyx pain and more recently back pain related to my hips! @mons4tne It is great you see such a difference so quickly!
Today I ventured out for a walk on my own and will again later I need to build up a bit but so far a good day!

Good luck again... the staples out alone will ease the incision too.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Thanks @NoraJ - I must admit I'm a wee it nervous about getting the staples out (I know silly considering what I've just had done - getting staples out seems pretty minor comparatively!). Good for you going for a walk!!! I've been home for a week & a half (today is my two week mark since the surgery) and I have only walked to the end of the driveway. Today will be my first real outing since coming home. I swear I'm not a shut in (far from it usually) but I just haven't felt up to it. Hoping today will be the start of me being able to venture out more. Have a great one today and I will update before I crash for the night at the end of the day!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Ok back from Doc's and resting. We'll start with the good news, he thought my incision looked great and thought I was moving remarkably well. Staples came out with just a bit of stinging - unfortunately a bit of bleeding as well (but just out of the staple holes not the incision), so I have a bandage on again - was told I could take it off tomorrow. I got a script for T3's so I can start going off the hydromorphone pills which apparently are extremely powerful pills. I am happy to do so - have already tried to ease off them since they seemed so strong. I also discovered a slight rash on my inner thigh area so I got a script for that. Now the not so good news. I was right, I do have a UTI but it seems it is just in early stages. The doc said he thinks we caught it early enough & the antibiotics are powerful enough that we don't need to worry about it getting into the joint. I asked 3 times are you sure I don't need to stress over it and was told each time not worry. Of course, I'm still a little worried lol! But the lesson is don't doubt yourself and listen to your body - I knew there had to be a reason why I wasn't feeling right. Also if I could go back I would have refused the catheter while in hospital because I would bet that was the cause but I'll never know for sure. Anyway time for some mommy daughter time watching while I'm hanging out in bed (going to help her with her Rainbow Loom!). Bye for now!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Ok back from Doc's and resting. We'll start with the good news, he thought my incision looked great and thought I was moving remarkably well. Staples came out with just a bit of stinging - unfortunately a bit of bleeding as well (but just out of the staple holes not the incision), so I have a bandage on again - was told I could take it off tomorrow. I got a script for T3's so I can start going off the hydromorphone pills which apparently are extremely powerful pills. I am happy to do so - have already tried to ease off them since they seemed so strong. I also discovered a slight rash on my inner thigh area so I got a script for that. Now the not so good news. I was right, I do have a UTI but it seems it is just in early stages. The doc said he thinks we caught it early enough & the antibiotics are powerful enough that we don't need to worry about it getting into the joint. I asked 3 times are you sure I don't need to stress over it and was told each time not worry. Of course, I'm still a little worried lol! But the lesson is don't doubt yourself and listen to your body - I knew there had to be a reason why I wasn't feeling right. Also if I could go back I would have refused the catheter while in hospital because I would bet that was the cause but I'll never know for sure. Anyway time for some mommy daughter time watching while I'm hanging out in bed (going to help her with her Rainbow Loom!). Bye for now!

Oops meant mother daughter time watching tv while hanging out in bed & helping with rainbow loom!
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Sharri, sorry about the UTI.. that is tough I had one a number of years ago and it's one of the few times I was wiped out and had to take time off work! So I can imagine it's more challenging when your energies are going into healing your hip. Good news on the incision though... I still have a bandage by doctors orders till next week. Hopefully once the medication kicks in you'll be feeling more yourself. Enjoy the time with your little one and here's hoping you get a good night's sleep too!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hi @NoraJ yes UTI's are definitely no fun, but this one has me especially worried because they told me at my pre op that UTI's can be a big concern for a joint infection. Praying we caught it in time and so wishing I had not had that catheter in for two days strait. Maybe @Josephine you could ease my mind and share your experience? The doc said that we probably caught it early and a 7 day round on ciprofloxacin 500mg should protect the joint. Thanks :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sharri, So glad to hear you are on the other side and doing well. So exciting to stand up for the first time and not feel like your bones are clanging. Keep us posted. Happy healing!
 
I have had UTIs and what I can tell you is that they are usually very easily treated. So, that's a good thing. Most people can get rid of a UTI with just 3 days of antibiotics. Sounds like your doctor has it under control and the good thing is that you were diligent about it and caught it. I'm not a medical person, but I think it's super rare for a UTI to affect a joint. Just rest and try not to worry. :)
 
@Sharri , you are on antibiotics - worry not! It's good you got it taken care of, but listen to your GP. If there was an issue they would have marched you back to hospital. UTIs can be caused by the catheter but when your body is fighting to heal from major surgery your resistance is down. Lots of fluids and rest. I'll bet things look much better very soon.
 
Sharri - you did good. Keep up the great healing!!! Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks everyone :) Feeling much stronger today because I don't have that sickly feeling like I'm fighting something. That tells me the antibiotics must be doing their job. I did a lot of walking yesterday (for me anyway) to get through a big building to go vote (provincial elections hear yesterday) and made the mistake of trying to come off the hydromorphone at the same time. I woke up screaming @ 6:40 am because I was having spasms / Charlie horses up my whole operated side (including my back). So although I'm going to still try and ease up on the narcotic painkillers I don't think I'll just stop. I hope everyone has a good day today!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Sharri. .. well done for the walking but I think we may be on a power with over doing it. I was so tired yesterday...beyond anything I have felt before. I could barely make it up stairs. Also while not in huge pain the stiffness was tough going...not sure what Charlie horses are though?? Hopefully some rest and medication for both if us will do us the world of good!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
P's. Great the antibiotics have kicked in too and your UTI is on the mend...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
So I'm on day 18 post op - happy dance! Definitely feeling like I've turned a corner. I feel much stronger and stable although still using my crutches and still getting worn out. I actually walked around the house and sat in the backyard today while my daughter played on her swing set and the dog ran around. It was such a beautiful day with respect to the weather so it was so lovely to do that! Made for a very positive day! I do have a question about pain management though. at this point both myself and my family doc would like to see me get off the hydromorphone. he gave a script for tylenol 3s to use with the tylenol arthritis - no more than 8 in total per day he told me. the combination does do a pretty good job but I'm wondering is there a drug i can ask for that is comparable (not to strong but strong enough) that does not cause constipation? I'm finding I'm hesitant to take it because that side effect makes me feel really ill, and want to stay in bed but then if I don't take it, I'm not managing the pain well. Also i seem to be having knee pain in my operated leg and cant decide if I'm causing it by doing something wrong or if its a normal recovery pain. has anyone else been getting a similar pain?


Sharri -LTHR May 28th 2014 13 inch incision on side
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom