Guest viewing is limited

THR Sharri Reaches the other side!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Sharri I called/emailed my OS (his nurse actually) 2 or 3 times with specific questions about my incision. He was very prompt in getting back to me and very informative. I had a small amount of drainage and was told this was normal. But, if you are concerned, I would call and see if you can go in and have the doctor or at least his PA look at it. They are very concerned about this type of thing. They take it very seriously and will be responsive to you. Also, you could snap a picture with your phone and email it to them.
Is it actually blood on your incision (red or dark red) or is it more light red/light brown in color?
 
I took a picture of mines a few times and sent it to him. He then told me to come in to see him and he changed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
@Sharri I am sorry to hear you are having a rough day. I promise you it gets better. I would take advice from others regarding taking a pic and emailing your doc if you are worried about your incision. Maybe he can reassure you it is nothing:) I had my bandage off for good yesterday after a waterproof bandage for two weeks. I was lucky I had no leakage from my incision at all but I know I was told that that leakage is normal.. I just lucked out.. So please don't worry.. I think my not have leakage is more not the norm . It gets better in terms of movement. I am day 15.. Sleeping good, getting around , able to do things .. Even drive!!! It gets better!!!


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@Sharri.... I can share your frustration today. . I am day 7 and am fortunate in many ways with pain and incision (so far..fingers crossed) but had a rough night and woke up groggy, stiff and tired. Today the swelling has kicked in too ankle twice the size of normal. Now elevated and will be for the night. I guess when you are used to being independent it is a difficult process. I am very jealous of @psychteach being able to drive. I'm not allowed for a minimum of 6 weeks.. that's almost the most difficult bit for me! I live in the country so have had to stay with my parents as staying alone without transport was not an option.

If you're worried about the incision perhaps it's best to get someone medical to check it as the worry won't do you any good when trying to manage all the rest of the process.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hi @Sharri .Sounds like your doing ok.My 1st thr went perfect, a month later my 2nd thr not so much.I had way more pain, way more swelling,way more bleeding, and my incision leaked for a couple of weeks.I was more concerned the second time around so I understand your second guessing your decision.Patience my friend, I assure you all of a sudden things will turn around.In a short amount of time you will be surprising yourself and family.Trust your body, its an amazing recovery machine.Good luck and peace to you.
 
Hi @Sharri - Days 5 & 6 post-op were probably the hardest for me as well, and I had a similar experience to yours on Day 6, too. I can't remember what approach you had so I don't know if you can reach to really see your incision but here's my thoughts, based on what I went through. I don't recommend trying to do anything yourself with the bandage, especially if you had a lateral/posterior approach. It's too hard to see what you're doing and to keep the area sterile!! My hospital also put a waterproof bandage on, and wrote the date for removal on it. Two days before that date (of course, on a Sunday!) I woke up with the interior of the bandage "bulging" with fluid. There was no blood but I was concerned about how the incision was going to heal being wet. I also worried that all the drainage might mean there was something wrong, because I didn't expect it. So we called our friend who's a nurse and she came over and, complete with gloves and a sterilized tweezers so she never touched the incision or the new bandages, she used the saline solution and bandages the hospital sent home with me to change my dressing. She knew what to look for in terms of wound infection, and I was much more peaceful once someone who knew these things pronounced it okay. I was also much more comfortable after all that pressure was off the wound.

So, if your bandage is bulging with blood, I'd contact your OS immediately for instruction. If there's just some blood on the bandage, it probably isn't at risk for infection because the blood is not inherently "dirty" (@Josephine, please correct me if I'm wrong), it's sealed in there and came out of a sterile wound. As long as you're not feeling more than normal incision pain or any heat in the area, I wouldn't panic. Bottom line, it is a weekday, so do what you need to do to feel reassured that all is well. Either way, I really don't recommend trying to change the dressing this early on by yourself. You could introduce germs into the wound at this point, and that would not be good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you are worried, call your surgeon's office. It will set your mind at ease. I had the anterior approach on May 29th and a waterproof bandage was placed over my glued incision with instructions to remove it on day 5 which was yesterday. Every surgeon does it their own way and you have to find out from them what is best for you.
 
I agree with all who say "call the doctor's office" and do send a picture if you can. Some drainage is normal. Are you icing? (Keep a towel between yourself and ice bag and never over 20 minutes)! Take your temperature a couple of times a day. Call doctor if it is elevated greater than 101.0 .
Day 6 was my hardest day. . .I have done progressively better every day since then! I hear that from several others!
Read all if the articles that the experts have posted! They are excellent and helpful!
Praying for your peace of mind and body❤️




Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Hi Sharri. Haven't seen you around for a couple of days - hope you're doing okay. Please update us when you can??
 
Hi @Sharri, did you get sorted? Everything ok? Wondered did you get wound checked out and how you are feeling now?

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hi, Sharri - read your posts! I hope you're doing better today!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

2014, May 20th posterior TLHR
 
Hello everyone. @moms4tne, @NoraJ, @waterman1, @cami515, @Mercy1, @kmgraxy, @Roofmaster, @psychteach, @jebrig3164, @younghippie, & @PuppyLove. I want to start by saying thank you so much for your replies and support. I am so sorry I have been MIA for so long. I honestly was having a really hard time emotionally and physically last week. First off, later on the same day that I posted my question about my incision & bandage a nurse from the hospital called to check to see how I'm doing and reassured me that the blood and liquid I was seeing in the bandage was completely normal and that I would be shocked when the bandage came off how pristine the incision would be. Sure enough the bandage came off on Saturday & it was beautiful and clean! My staples are going to be removed this coming Wed. (in 2 more days!). I really am sorry I disappeared for so long. I was so tired and weak that I had to sleep a lot. I was also shocked at how little control I had over my operated leg - I would tell it to move and would be lucky to even get half an inch and I don't know why but I hadn't expected it to be that bad. I had to spend most of my time upstairs in our bed because it was the only place I wasn't in pain. Then I started getting really discouraged and started regretting even deciding to have the surgery. I was emotionally at a really low point. I was reminded by my family that if I didn't get it I would have eventually ended up not walking at all. My husband and daughter were really awesome the first week then both had a day that they were feeling like it was too much not having mommy and wife able to be there for them. That was hard to deal with - I was angry that they couldn't suck it up but knew that it would happen as I've been the caregiver before and although you think you're going to be florence nightengale its not as easy as it appears sometimes. But we worked through it and we're all back on track and feeling positive again and I feel supported again. My amazing mom has also been here to help me out during the day when my hubby is at work. Given she is 75 she really is incredible - i tried to tell her i didn't want her doing to much & I was told that I couldn't tell her to stay away or not do things. I still try and tell her not to do much when she's here but she sneaks it in when I'm napping lol! Its actually been really nice to be able to spend so much quality time with her. I am really so blessed. So fast forward to today and I am feeling remarkably better mentally. I still have my poor me teary moments, just not as often. It is 12 days post op and I am sleeping less during the day and have far more control of my operated leg. I am still using my crutches for stability and balance when I walk but think I'm pretty close to being able to move to canes. Still getting some swelling although instead of it being my whole thigh it seems to be the worst in my upper thigh around my hip. I am shocked that I have had very little to no bruising on my leg (I usually bruise very easily). So over all a good start to the week. Again so sorry for the disappearance and thank you to each of you that gave me a supportive response :) A shout out to @frieds & @CodeGirl my surgery day buddies - I hope you're recovery is going well (I'll be checking out your recovery threads to update myself). I promise not to disappear again to - will up date soon!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@moms4tne - how are you doing these days?? I hope feeling like you're making steady improvements :) You asked about what approach I had, I'm not sure of the name but my incision is about 13inches long, starts about half way up my outer thigh and runs up over my side and finishes at the hip. When I see the size of it I can figure out why my leg has been the way it has. Its quite a bit bigger than I thought it would be but it doesn't bother me. As long as the outcome is successful I'm happy!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Sharri! So glad to see you back - I was a bit worried! :)

Sounds like we had the same approach - my incision follows the same path as yours, and is about 10 inches (or so they tell me, I can't see it except in a mirror, but I had 28 staples). I went through all the same things you've experienced at just about the same times - the "log leg" was the worst. Getting into bed was bad enough - but, once in, I was like a beached whale! Nothing worked like it was supposed to! During those early days, I was so focused on not hurting my incision, not breaking 90, and trying to make my leg move just a few inches to the side of the bed (I actually even pushed the one foot with my other foot, inching it along ever so carefully) that it was like I forgot how all the "normal" things, like my arms, were supposed to work. My upper arms are STILL sore from hauling myself around, and I was so sure I was going to wreck my back and have to call our sweet Chiropractor to bring her Activator to the house. But that never happened - in fact, my back hasn't been this good in years! Now I'm actually quite mobile - able to get in and out of bed by myself, getting around the house by myself, and even spending some time out on the deck enjoying this great weather! Hubby is amazed at the "strides" I've made since those early days when I couldn't even use the washroom alone!

I am 5 weeks post-op today. One week ago I discovered that I could walk without putting any pressure on the crutch on my operated side, so I have transitioned now to only one crutch (holding on my good side like they taught me). My PT was worried at first, but when I reminded her that my restriction on abductor muscle exercise was up, she relaxed! We did discuss a cane, and her advice to me was to wait until I can bear weight 100% on the operated side. Even only one crutch will still give you an assist from your upper body strength - a cane only extends the strength in your wrist and forearm - so her opinion was that I should not try a cane until I need it only for balance and a little security, not for strength. I'm still a bit nervous about placing all my weight on the operated leg, but I'm experimenting with it a little here and there. I am taking the "no limp" advice very seriously, though, after limping for almost 10 years - so I won't switch to a lesser support until I know I can use it without a limp.

So, all in all, I can tell you that each day you'll feel stronger and more "normal". It helped me immensely when the staples came out, and when I could finally get myself in and out of a side sleep position. A good night's sleep has amazing restorative powers!

BTW - whatever happened with your physio plan? I'm finding just some very simple physio is really helping me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Sharri, I am glad to hear you feel your back on the right road...as such. I think I underestimated the overall impact of having my hip done. I expected pain but everyone was so positive about it no one really mentioned how tricky it could be emotionally.

I too had my bandage off yesterday and all was good too and my mom (retired nurse) took out my staples. .. Over 33 of them and the scar is far longer then I thought before the surgery. I am by no means a beach bunny (weather here doesn't really allow for it) and I'm not small buy any means but I am struggling with the scar. I took a picture to see but it's too soon to share! I know it is low on the list but combined with an achy, blue day yesterday was miserable! So it looks like good and bad days are power for the course and I guess the role reversal (carer/provider) is too. I am usually the one caring for parents or hosting family occasions not the other way around. But no doubt no having children or a husband to consider makes it easier for me!

On a good I had my first decent nights sleep and that had helped.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Early days and weeks for all, celebrate each little milestone, even a day without the blues or being able to move the wooden leg - this is a tough recovery :)
 
@Sharri - hi there hip bud!!!! So glad to hear from you and hear about your recovery. You've been missed!!! I am glad it is coming along - I am confident that it will only keep getting better!

Our recoveries sound very similar. I think day 6 was hard and once bandage came off I had incision (scab) pain. Walking well now with just a cane - got lucky that the workouts prior to surgery must have given muscles some good muscle memory so they'd bounce back a bit faster. But I agree log leg did oh so suck lol.

Have had woe me moments as well - I think it's natural. We are caregivers so hard to flip roles. I am so glad you've got to spend time with your mom though - sounds awesome. Hope we can stay in touch during this recovery process. Pretty sure while everyone's experience is different, there are commonalities!

Xoxoxo - Teri


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Sharri - I'm so relieved to hear there was no infection! When you did not post for a week, I wondered if you were okay and checked often to see if you had posted. I'm sorry you were having such a tough time, but hope that the worst is over now. I certainly feel that way myself although I face another THR on the right side, 3 weeks from tomorrow and right now I just can't even imagine doing it all again. I keep telling myself that in 3 weeks, I'll feel so much better that I will be ready for it.

Those post-surgery blues are awful - we just have to let ourselves go with it, knowing that it won't last forever.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom