Guest viewing is limited

THR Sharri Reaches the other side!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome @Sharri !
Glad you are doing well, and coming along.
My first step felt a bit like a noodle leg; but I had really low blood pressure.
Best!
 
@Sharri You are doing wonderfully. Do tell us about that first walk. I am looking forward to yours just as much as mine.
 
It is a thrilling moment - the first few steps - yes, enjoy!
 
Hello Sharri! Look at all these people pulling and thinking of you, aint it great. Keep up the good work and we know you will :)
 
Hi everyone! So my first walk this morning didn't go as well as I had hoped. I only made it to the end of my bed before I got to dizzy and I also had the shakes. My leg was so stiff and heavy it was a huge effort just to do one step. The pain was really only bad when i was lifting my leg on and off the bed though. It was a little discouraging not being able to make it further but it also made me more motivated to get going on my bed exercises. When the PT came back at 4:00 to try again, I made it all the way to the door / hall of my room - Success!!! Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll make it through the hall and be able to test on stairs. The only other challenge I'm having is an emotional one, my little girl (she's 9) is having a really hard time with me being here, meltdowns every night :(. we've had her staying with close friends so my hubby can get to work and get a visit in with me at the end of the day to make sure all is ok (his work is an hour and half from home and the hospital I'm in is about an hour from home). He's picking her up tonight so hopefully she'll be better once she's at least with Daddy. I still have at least one more night here if not two and she's suppose to be going to a camp with her guiding troop tomorrow night. Any tips on how to make her feel better?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Btw a big thank you all for the supportive words, congratulations and encouragement!! All of you are amazing and each response is an encouragement for me! You are absolutely right @waterman1 it's great. (((((HUGS)))) to all of you!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Congrats on making it to the hallway! As for your daughter, I'm sure you've been talking to her on the phone. Can you have hubby ( or a nurse) take a picture of you walking so that she can see that you are Okay and that mom is working on walking so she can get home and have fun with her little girl again? My daughter is 12 and was able to visit me once- she has done pretty well with the whole process, but was at home with dad and brothers every night). Maybe hubby can help her plan something special for when you get home (you may have to plan it and have hubby implement the details)- making a banner or some cards, buying a special treat to eat, decorate a tray she could deliver your food on to help. My daughter appointed herself my personal foot massager before surgery but has since rescinded the offer! Good luck and you will be in our prayers!:console2:
 
Well done on your walking! I only managed 2 steps that first time, then a bit further; but by the second day I was walking all over the place with sticks... :)

It is hard for our kids when we're in hospital. My 19 year old really struggled, and hasn't coped well with me being ill generally. Have you spoken to her? My boys were both reassured to hear me: I think their imaginations had made them think the worst - even that I was dying - and when I sounded normal they relaxed a bit. Then I texted them a lot - just little messages to tell them to have a good day or describe what I had to eat, for instance - and they liked that too. :) Is your daughter old enough to have her own phone? Or could she borrow one while you're in hospital? If not, just remember you won't be there long, and you're right she will be distracted by her camping. :)
 
Thanks @PuppyLove and @FionaW for the support and suggestions. Her and I have actually been using FaceTime (the hospital actually has wifi that I can use) and chatting twice a day. My fear with her coming to visit is that she will have another meltdown when its time to leave me and whoever brings her is going to have a hard time getting her out. Its been a hard call but definitely if they don't discharge me on Saturday then I want her to come by the hospital because I told her I would see her then. I'm just hoping she makes it through camp tonight and has a good time. It's at a very well known zoo and is so up her alley as far as interests if she can just relax and let herself enjoy it. As far as an update on me - did not sleep well last night (felt like I was waking up every hour but not from pain) and then finally sat up in bed around 5:00 a.m. I have asthma as well and we got a good couple of days with high humidity that set it off right before my surgery so I'm still getting oxygen and taking my inhalers. Lots of water, deep breathing and coughing happening to keep my chest clear. Hopefully I'll have a chance to have a morning nap today before they put me to work. I think they are hoping for big improvements today in my walking etc. I also need to have a BM still but trying to work on that naturally with all bran bar, prune juice and breakfast. If that doesn't work then its down the laxative road I go, lol! I hope everyone else has a good recovery day today! Curious how you are @frieds, my surgery day buddy? I hope you're doing well!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks @psychteach for the encouragement hope you have a good day too!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Sharri , I like the idea of a picture of you walking for your daughter. Her imagination is probably running wild trying to guess just what you are doing there. Hospitals can be scary places. I picture of you all smiles and walking on that new hip would help to reassure her.

Sleep problems are part of this recovery I am afraid. And hospitals can be very noisy places. Just nap when you can and don't fight it. You are doing great!
 
Thanks @FionaW and @Jaycey! Today was my roughest day so far. I was light headed / dizzy and nauseous for most of the day (worse than yesterday). My blood pressure was fine but my oxygen levels were a little lower then what they like. Didn't actually throw up though and as I moved around more my oxygen levels started to rise. I made it to the end of the room again but then had to sit down in a wheelchair because of being dizzzy. The good news is that I did stairs just fine (around 8 of them up and down) with my crutches. I found it strange that I was so dizzy trying to just walk and look strait ahead but I could do stairs. I was also suprised how little it hurt to just walk and and walk up the stairs. That was my work with PT today then I spent about 45 min. with OT. I accomplished lots but it wore me out. Still no BM even though I've done the all bran bars, some prune juice and stool softners. I really want to go home tomorrow so that means my oxygen levels have to stay up and I have to have a BM (they don't let you leave until you've had one). So those are my goals tomorrow - funny how having a BM becomes a goal, oh how life changes sometimes lol! Will update all of you tomorrow!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Wishing you good luck with the BM @Sharri ... Also hope your oxygen levels improve. Soon you will be home and your little girl can see Mommy and be her little helper x
 
Sharri - I am coming in late here but wanted to congratulate you on your new hip! I had mine 1o days ago and each day gets better and better!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If a BM is the ONLY reason they won't let you go home, well then I'm afraid I'd just tell them I'd had one, whether or not I had!
I wouldn't mess about with oxygen and/or BP though: those really do need to be stable before you go home.
I hope you get to escape. Hospitals aren't very good places for convalescing, really!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom