Guest viewing is limited

THR Sharri Reaches the other side!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone! I had a pretty good nights sleep last night and the night nurse was fantastic (one of my favourites so far). She was really good about giving me my pain meds regardless of if I was sleeping. Despite her efforts though I've woken with quite a bit of pain and I feel swollen. I guess because they did so much with me yesterday. shes already given me something extra to help with the bathroom issue though (some sort of liquid i had to drink luklax i think she called it). Here's hoping for a positive day that includes a trip home!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Whoa, if having a BM was a criterion for going home, I'd still be in the hospital! I've been taking Colace twice daily and last night I added Magnesium, so I am hopeful for today. One thing is though, I've had the most incredible amount of gas, is that normal?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had to go back to the hospital on night 4 (infection scare - but all was well!) and you should have heard the noises in that room: me and the woman who'd had her knee done on the same day as my hip were taking it in turns! :heehee:
 
Yes, @CodeGirl - gas is normal. You would have been given heaps of drugs as part of the surgical procedure - it will happen and you will feel heaps better. Keep your fluids up :)
 
Thanks, @Poppet. Finally was able to go last night, end of my 4th day. Although it was not everything, it unplugged the works so now gas is no longer trapped and the abdominal discomfort I had yesterday is gone. One milestone at a time! I would like to prepare for this part of the recovery better with my next surgery. What do you recommend?
 
Unfortunately the drugs you are given to control the pain - plus all the trauma to your system during the op tend to slow everything down. Lots of fluids and some of the remedies in that article I left you will help. Part of recovery I am afraid.
 
Hi everyone so today is day 4 since my surgery. I came home from the hospital yesterday and it was a really rough day. Hospital rushed me out with just over an hours notice when they had told me I would have until 3:00 pm before I left. Made me totally overwhelmed like it was happening too fast. Had to get washed, dressed, packed and go through discharge info for home in a very short time. They also in their rush to get me to have a BM so I could leave, gave me a liquid laxitive and then a suppository. Well I had a small one before I left but they neglected to tell me what that would do to me later. After an hour and a half getting to our home town and then going to the pharmacy trying to get my scripts filled I got home and felt extremely ill. I ended up having very bad diarrhea and feeling extremely sick to my stomach. I slept for hours afterwards because I was left so feeling so weak.
Today has been much better - taking it easy but still trying to come downstairs out of the bed to have some normal time with everyone else. Still very stiff obviously and have had to remind myself to stay on top of my meds espeically since the took me off of my slow release pain killers. Anyway wanted to update all of you on my progress. I'm looking forward to more days with happy stories and successful progress. And yes it is awesome to be home!!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Glad you are home, @Sharri . :) That sounds like a nightmare discharge - well done for surviving it! Now rest, rest, rest and take care of yourself!
 
Congrats Sharri. Only gets better from here!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Oh, @Sharri , bless your heart! All of those miseries will fade away, I promise! With you, I am wondering how to avoid EVER having post-op constipation again!
Every day will be better. . .you have much to look forward to. . .and you have support from your friends here!



Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
So glad my hospital did not even mention having a BM before I could leave - I was chomping at the bit to get out of there by Day 4!

My body wasn't ready to deal with the constipation til Day 9. I was really backed up and what finally worked for me was about 10 oz of prune juice through a straw (so you don't taste it) followed by a cup of hot green tea. If I had it to do over, I would have started with about 6 oz of prune juice followed by hot tea or coffee daily for maybe the week before surgery (although I was advised no herbal teas before), and then I'd have had hubby bring some good PJ to the hospital and I'd have continued there. The PJ they offered there was pretty gross and only about 2 oz per day. I know things would have moved a lot earlier - maybe not by the time I left, but soon after getting home - had I started the routine earlier. Nobody was more backed up than I was after 9 days and I swear, the 10 oz of PJ with a hot "chaser" and I was getting relief within 3 hours. One more dose before bed and the next morning I was much better - with NO cramping or gas problems.
 
Glad things are improving. Just relax and walk a little. ....Every hour or so around the house. Hip will take care of it self in time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
@Sharri Here's hoping day 5 will be an easy one! What a tough day you had yesterday. I can't imagine dealing with a laxative and waiting in a drugstore on top of everything else! It can only get easier from here.

Tami
 
hi everyone today is day 6 post op for me and i am not having a good day. Today is the kind of day that I am questioning why I had a THR done. i am uncomfortable everywhere,tired of being trapped either in my bed or downstairs in the lounge chair and incredibly frustrated about not being able to do everything for myself. I know I'm only one week in as well and the 6 -8 weeks of getting back on my feet again seems like forever!!! Add to that I am really concerned about my incision and it has not been the best day. I know I need to make a shift in attitude (I am usually a glass half full type of gal) but having a hard time with that today. @Josephine maybe you can give me your opinion on incision care. I had a big white gauze dressing over it for the first 2.5 days in the hospital. Then they removed that and put on a waterproof dressing / bandage I could shower with. When they took off the original bandage it was pretty clean looking and the incision although much larger than I had hoped (about 7 - 8 inches) looked very clean as well, with staples. When they put on the new waterproof bandage / dressing they wrote on it 'Remove June 7th'. Well right away after starting to move around you could see there was blood on the gauze part of the bandage (bandage is like a see through brown plastic type material with a strip of guaze down the centre), but not a massive amount. They told me not to worry it was normal. Now on I think day 4 since having the new bandage it seems that almost the whole gauze part of the bandage has blood on it and I'm really concerned. I don't know how its suppose to stay clean and heal when its not a clean bandage. The last thing I want is an infection so I'm wondering if I should be doing something about it?? The hospital did not feel the need to set up any nursing visits for me once I was discharged but now I'm feeling kind of lost. Am I just being paranoid or should I be going to see my family doc? Thanks everyone and sorry for the negative rant, I'm sure I will get better at this in the coming days!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I suggest calling your OS. The should be a nurse who can return your call.
 
hi everyone today is day 6 post op for me and i am not having a good day. Today is the kind of day that I am questioning why I had a THR done. i am uncomfortable everywhere,tired of being trapped either in my bed or downstairs in the lounge chair and incredibly frustrated about not being able to do everything for myself. I know I'm only one week in as well and the 6 -8 weeks of getting back on my feet again seems like forever!!! Add to that I am really concerned about my incision and it has not been the best day. I know I need to make a shift in attitude (I am usually a glass half full type of gal) but having a hard time with that today. @Josephine maybe you can give me your opinion on incision care. I had a big white gauze dressing over it for the first 2.5 days in the hospital. Then they removed that and put on a waterproof dressing / bandage I could shower with. When they took off the original bandage it was pretty clean looking and the incision although much larger than I had hoped (about 7 - 8 inches) looked very clean as well, with staples. When they put on the new waterproof bandage / dressing they wrote on it 'Remove June 7th'. Well right away after starting to move around you could see there was blood on the gauze part of the bandage (bandage is like a see through brown plastic type material with a strip of guaze down the centre), but not a massive amount. They told me not to worry it was normal. Now on I think day 4 since having the new bandage it seems that almost the whole gauze part of the bandage has blood on it and I'm really concerned. I don't know how its suppose to stay clean and heal when its not a clean bandage. The last thing I want is an infection so I'm wondering if I should be doing something about it?? The hospital did not feel the need to set up any nursing visits for me once I was discharged but now I'm feeling kind of lost. Am I just being paranoid or should I be going to see my family doc? Thanks everyone and sorry for the negative rant, I'm sure I will get better at this in the coming days!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®


Hello I think you should leave it alone. I had the same kind of dressing a see through water proof. But it was leaking and I went back to see my surgeon he cleaned it and changed it. I kept it clean and changed it my self every other day. Keep it clean and wash to your hands or use latex gloves. it is normal to have some drainage just keep it clean and change it yourself. your gonna be fine my friend . Be encouraged

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom