THR Shari's Journey

Hi @Sheperdess! Please notice that we've merged your newest thread into your original recovery thread. We ask that you have just one recovery thread for several reasons:
  • It keeps all your recovery information in one place, making it easier for us to review your history before we provide advice.
  • If you have multiple threads, you will miss posts and advice left for you in your original thread, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. You may want to bookmark this thread to make it easier to find.

If you would like us to change the title of your thread, just let us know!
Would you please change my thread's title to "Shari's journey"
 
Now at 4 weeks and still have hip soreness when I first stand and begin to walk. It seems I've regressed a bit because walking is still painful. Seems like progress was fast the first 3 weeks but now I'm dealing with soreness more than usual.
 
Now at 4 weeks and still have hip soreness when I first stand and begin to walk. It seems I've regressed a bit because walking is still painful. Seems like progress was fast the first 3 weeks but now I'm dealing with soreness more than usual.
Hi!
A couple of thoughts....
Have you increased activity without allowing for more TLC (ice and rest) between activities? Sometimes we're eager beavers and the new hip lets us know the only way it can...
New hips can cartainly continue to stiffen and hurt when transitioning to standing and walking; if that eases after a bit, it's just something that needs "tincture of time" - recovery does go up and down and up sometimes!
 
I know I've overdone it as 2 days ago we had a sick goat and although my husband held her while i gave her shots and medication, it still was pretty physical. And then yesterday we had to make an emergency dash to our vet because our dog ate grapes (very poisonous for dogs). I had to pour medicine down his throat to make him throw up. So yeah pretty sure I've overdone it. I think you are right. I've gotten lazy about icing and only take tylenol ocassionally. Ive not moved much today. Ive got ice packs on and am feeling better.
 
Hi Shepherdess,
It sounds like you've been more active than the new hip was ready to be. Give yourself the TLC you deserve at this very early stage of recovery from the trauma of THR. Lots of rest, lots of ice and pain meds as needed.

View this surgery as an investment in your future. Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come.
Happy New Year!
@Sheperdess
 
Thank you, Layla. I've been very careful with my hip until the last 2 days. Both events were extreme emergencies and since we live in the country there aren't people around to immediately help. That said, I'm feeling pretty good tonight and will spend the next few days resting and icing and back to pain meds. Thanks for your wise words, you are exactly right!
 
Oh my goodness..... Yes we're in a rural county and events like you describe aren't uncommon! Glad there's a reason for your pain and that all things being equal you'll be able to recover for a couple of days!!!!
 
:wave:@Sheperdess
Sorry you had to deal with the furbaby emergency...hope he's ok now.
I got your thread title changed and a journey is exactly what this hip recovery is...but if given time and some babying, your new hip will get you on track to a healthy happy new year.
There were several times I had to dial it back to get back on track...just overdid it...sometimes out of necessity and sometimes because I was ready to get back to life more quickly.
Seems it doesn't hurt until we stop.:oyvey:
Hope you feel better soon and your New Year's evening is peaceful and healing.:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Thank you all! All fur babies are okay, thank goodness! And I am certainly dialing it back -just sitting with ice and anti-inflammatory meds. My hip does feel much better today so I'm getting there. Thanks for all your help. You do a wonderful job keeping us on track!
 
4 wks and I'm getting around pretty good. Went to the grocery store yesterday and walked around shopping. Really appreciated the shopping cart!
 
Great milestone!!!

Yes ... the first few times I accompanied my husband to get groceries after my knees were done, I was still on the cane... but automatically put the cane in the shopping cart and started walking with it!
 
Those shopping carts are great for recovery!
Eman turned me onto using the cart when I was still on walker and used motorized cart for first trip to big box store.
After that, shopping cart was my best friend.
Never looked back.
 
I’ve been using shopping trolley this past 6 months for support,
have hubby doing all shopping now walking any distance is too painfull.
just 25 more days:loll:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom