Guest viewing is limited

THR Shari's Journey

@Wayii It's good to hear you are doing well with your recovery. Please do start your own thread so that we can "officially" welcome you! And do give us the date of your surgery so that a signature can be created for you.
 
What a difference a week makes! Still sore but now manageable with tylenol. I'm getting around using walker and trekking poles. No pain in hip joint other than muscle pain. After the first three days I would never have imagined I would feel this good. I know there is a ways to go and am committed to resting n g and PT but am so happy I had this surgery.
 
That is really good news - and it will get better and better..
 
Hi @Sheperdess! Please notice that we've merged your newest thread into your original recovery thread. We ask that you have just one recovery thread for several reasons:
  • It keeps all your recovery information in one place, making it easier for us to review your history before we provide advice.
  • If you have multiple threads, you will miss posts and advice left for you in your original thread, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. You may want to bookmark this thread to make it easier to find.

If you would like us to change the title of your thread, just let us know!
 
@Sheperdess Those first days and weeks can be rough. I wish it wasn't such a surprise but there's no way to completely prepare for it. It's like knowing that when you hit your thumb with a hammer, it's going to hurt but you don't know exactly how it feels until it actually happens. Lol. People don't realize or forget that the first symptom in response to any kind of injury, planned or not, is swelling. That extra fluid that happens as the body starts to heal itself can only put pressure on sensitive tissues. Where else can it go? Yes, icing and elevation will continue to be your friends for a while. May the pain continue to get better as your body finds its new equilibrium. Blessings for continued good healing.
 
Day 10. Actually folded clothes and put in a small load of laundry. I can easily get around with my walker and have taken first steps with trekking poles. Woohoo! Pain is very manageable and I'm pretty much off opioids. Newest issue is sleeping on my nonoperated side. Tried it with a body pillow between my legs and lasted about an hour before I returned to my recliner. Sleep is tough.
 
Sounds like you are making good progress, both mentally as well as physically.:) It's hard to stay upbeat when you are in pain and when your life has been disrupted by the surgery, and you are out of your normal routines and rhythms.

Just a word of caution, to really listen to your body as you start increasing activity, especially if you are doing PT. I found that simply doing daily life activities was all that I needed to get back in shape. I originally thought I would do PT--was encouraged to do so by my kids and folks who had had other joint surgeries where PT is needed (knees, back, shoulder). But my doctor said it was unnecessary with hips, and I am so glad I listened to him, as I avoided some of the troubles that those who overdid with PT ran into. Just remember that slow and steady wins the race!
 
I can easily get around with my walker and have taken first steps with trekking poles. Woohoo!
Milestone! It does feel good to know you can soon transition away from the walker, doesn't it! Just be careful not to over do it -- you are still early days.
 
You are right. I spent the day sleeping so took it easy.
 
I did make dinner tonight. Simple shrimp tacos but how nice to be in the kitchen again.
 
Sounds like you are coming along nicely. My add on here is even once you transition to cane keep walker by the bed for night time bathroom trips. Between dark and getting out of bed it's easy to lose balance.
All my best.
That's a great idea. Will do!
 
Day 12. Started taking a few steps around the house without my walker and then suddenly found myself walking with only muscle soreness. Was amazing! Icing tonight and taking it easy tomorrow but wow, just wow. Thank you science!
 
Ahh, the ODIC- over did it club- you are right, it's time to rest, ice and elevate. I always felt like it was okay if I recovered and felt better again the following day. If it took me longer than that then I knew to back off whatever I was doing.

Your shrimp tacos sound so good!
 
The hip doesn't accept SHOULD..... there's no compromise..an unhappy hip says rest,ice,elevate. :thumb:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom