TKR Seven weeks out on first tkr

@Freyagirl you've reminded me how, as a young girl, my knees loudly cracked every time I bent. It would happen in the "shhhh! quiet!" of the public library whenever I wanted to look at a book on the lower shelves, much to my mortification!
 
Ok...after reading the posts, I'm thinking it's not worth the risk. As I read about the sensitivity of post surgical nerves, I realized that's what I'm feeling on the outside of my knee. I describe it as feeling like there is tape on my skin and I am pulling on it. Kind of a burning, sharp pain that eases up if I massage it. It's near my incision, which is still raised at 8 weeks. Sent a picture of it to my surgeon and she said it looks normal. I guess I have thin skin and that takes longer to flatten out. Anyway...if that is nerve pain, I don't want to risk having it all up and down my leg for an extended period of time...yikes...

On another issue - I went into my replacement surgery with a large cyst (Baker's Cyst) on the back of my knee. I was disappointed when it was still there after surgery. I guess I thought that it would be resolved... My surgeon says they usually resolve on their own after repairing the cause. I was told they do not aspirate them (anymore) because they often return. It is uncomfortable and causes tingling in my foot when I stand on it. Anyone have any similar experience?
 
Last edited:
Yes, the sensation you describe is a form of dysesthesia. When I walk, the skin on a lateral section of my one year old knee has for several months now intermittently felt as if the fabric and skin are catching on each other. They aren't. It can be quite disconcerting!! But quite normal postop.

If your incision is 100% healed on the outside, no scabs or open areas, you can very gently rub vitamin E oil into it. It's likely to heal just fine without it, but if you want to try something this has been my go-to for 50 years to help reduce scarring after burns or wounds have otherwise healed.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, kayakker!
Wishing you a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:
@kayakker
 
another issue - I went into my replacement surgery with a large cyst (Baker's Cyst) on the back of my knee. I was disappointed when it was still there after surgery. I guess I thought that it would be resolved... My surgeon says they usually resolve on their own after repairing the cause. I was told they do not aspirate them (anymore) because they often return. It is uncomfortable and causes tingling in my foot when I stand on it. Anyone have any similar experience?
I had a large ( 45mm) Baker's cyst prior to my PKR which together with a large pes anserine bursa gave me pain at the back of my knee.
I still have a small Baker's cyst which hasn't changed in over a year. It is painless now and I can ignore it. I hope yours reduces and becomes pain free.
I went to a physio before my surgery who gave me some exercises for Baker's cyst (stepping forwards bending the other knee and extending the affected knee behind with the foot flat). It might be too early to try this but discuss with your PT suitable exercises to help a Baker's cyst or look on YouTube. Good luck!
 
Thank you all for the info/support. My knee is actually doing very well. At two months, I am sleeping normally (thank goodness) and doing two - three hours of out-and-about including a trip to the Y for 15 minutes on the stationary bike then a few laps on the track (1/2mile). This level of activity gives me relief from the boredom and builds my strength without too much residual pain and swelling. I have learned so much through this journey. The main lesson as I think about having my other knee done, is to plan to do nothing at all the first month. I did a 3 hour trip to KC to “supervise “ my daughter’s move to her first house at three weeks post surgery. Spent the night in the hotel with no icing the entire trip. Dumb! Then, I went to Bunko at week 4….dumb. I have also purchased an ice therapy machine which has been a game changer. I’m starting to use some heat in rotation with ice to soothe my extremely tight calf and thigh muscles. Seeing my surgeon Thursday to make a plan for the other knee. Dread it but do feel more confident and less anxious having been through it before. Thanks, again BoneSmart!
 
@kayakker Sounds like you are doing really well. Great that you can put a strategy in place for your second TKR. We will be here for you again!
 
The main lesson as I think about having my other knee done, is to plan to do nothing at all the first month.
Yes! I learned the same thing and I actually did it during this second knee recovery. I'm convinced it has made this one easier than the first.

Let us know what the surgeon says about doing knee #2!
 
Hi kayakker,
Glad you're doing well! Another month has passed, hopefully you're feeling even stronger.
Happy Three Month Anniversary. Keep us posted on Round Two...we'll be here for you!
@kayakker
 
Thank you for being here! Knee number two has significantly improved as I have focused on heel-to-toe walking and balance between both legs. I may try a gel injection if it gets to hurting before the wedding but I feel safe to say I can get through this year without surgery. Thank heavens! I am glad for the time to heal physically and mentally from the first one. I am stronger every day and have learned to accept pain while building back my endurance and flexibility. Sleep is so much better...almost normal. Walking two miles at a time now and that is the best rehab for me. Aches and pains from lower back, feet, shins, thighs etc have diminished as my body becomes better acquainted with the new knee. I'm starting to see the light!!
 
Walking two miles at a time now and that is the best rehab for me.
Good for you! I agree about the benefits of walking -- it works the whole leg and it's good for the back, too. And now that spring has arrived it's so lovely to be outdoors!

Sounds like you are doing really well. A 2-mile walk is still a bit much for me -- my leg complains the next day -- but I've been doing 1-1/2 miles regularly.

Glad you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. We will get there!
 
Yay!! You are making great strides!! :wowspring:

You are nearing that 4 month mark where things improve greatly. Your knee will continue to get better and better!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom