THR Setback at 8 weeks out- and the come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bellaroma- yeah, today actually was better than yesterday- tried sleeping in, that didn't work so got up and said 'hmm, my hip doesn't feel like sh*t today....' - just got back from a 30+ min slow walk with the dog, so that feels good. still got this damn tightness in my groin, but it's not as bad as usual.

Kicker here is for biking since i'm up in the hills, there's always some sort of ups/downs you must traverse if you go from home. I did find a handy altitude mapping tool, so I can plot an easier route for when I eventually start riding again.
 
Well, went to ortho today and met with another surgeon (not my personal OS) to discuss my hip 'pain in joint' and 'dropping out of socket'- since both issues haven't re-occurred, he thinks the joint pain was most likely caused by muscle spasms/tightness, scar tissue pressure, and/or nerves 'coming back into play' as the cause for the pain (now gone ~week), and the leg 'drop/shift into socket' due to muscle weekness and the over-tightness I mentioned of other muscles 'yanking' on it, but no real answer as it wasn't a 'repeat problem'. I guess it makes sense- he moved my leg in all kinds of twists/turns and nada- everything held together just fine. :shrug:

He did however ask if I had outpatient PT yet, and I said no, so he says 'lets get you in there now, it will definitely help. And since you are not even 3 mos out from major surgery, you still have a while yet before you are good to go'. He also looked at my x-rays and said everything looked 'textbook perfect' for placement and alignment- actually went into quite a bit of detail too. As my personal OS has a stellar reputation, I don't doubt him. and 4 yrs of leg atrophy on my part....

On another note in the 'cloud with a silver lining' vein, I had 're-dislocated' my shoulder yesterday (quite badly- took me a while to get it back in- was actually worried I just might need some professional help) so walked in today with my sling on, after asking what happened, the amount of dislocations and frequency and telling him the conversations I had with my referring orthopedist about finding someone to take care of it arthroscopically (my ref ortho can only do it 'open')- he discussed having that taken care of after the hip is all healed up, so that is in my not-too-distant future as well! Sent me off for xrays and all to get that ball rolling too.
 
Also asked about 'numbness' in the outer part of the non- op thigh/leg - the explanation I was given by the ortho surgeon (not my OS- was another on staff at the VA) when we met today is thus:

It is not uncommon for hip replacement patients for a few reasons- when they flip you on your side and strap you down for the surgery, the position, pressure of the hip and time involved in the procedure causes pressure and stress on on certain nerves, hence the numbness. He said this will go away in ~6mos.

I had a 'posterior' approach myself, not sure is 'anterior' folk get the same phenomena, but I assume the reasons would be similar. So there you go! or as I like to say 'ja sillä siisti!'
 
Dave, glad to hear that your hip is all in alignment, but bummed to hear about your wing! Hopefully they'll get you all fixed up. Unfortunately the wheels can turn a little slow, but best to get you to a good point in your hip recovery first.
 
Hi Dave - when I go to hydrotherapy (at local sports centre and free for over 60s!!!) we have a mixed bunch of hippies, knee and shoulder replacements. The "shoulders" all highly recommend it and you obviously don't have the weight-bearing problems during recovery. Don't know about steering a cycle but holding a dog lead on the affected side does not sound advisable!
Now remember - slow but sure or you'll get another slap from Jo!
 
Dave, it is all about patience isn't it with recovering from a THR... You will get there :)
 
Hi Davefd

I have merged your recovery threads into this one, this is your primary thread.

We prefer to keep your recovery journey in the one thread for context. Thanks :)

[Bonesmart.org] Setback at 8 weeks out- and the come back?
​
 
Hi Dave, came looking for you after I saw you post elsewhere sounding a little bit down. So sorry to hear about the shoulder... seems few of us can get away with only one bionic part once we climb aboard the surgical train. Here's hoping they can help you without being too invasive. Oh and thanks for posting about the numbness. Thats what I thought, glad to see it confirmed... will tag C Mac, Damn! and alexthecat so they see it too. I'm sure it comes up now and again. Do hope your shoulder does not prevent you from lifting a glass of therapeutic grape juice. Hope you're having a better day...sounds like your doc thinks you are doing well. Now, pop to the pool and enjoy being weightless plus there's always the hot tub -- a place to meet fascinating people and swap stories of aches and pains.
 
annie, vida, dede- thanks for the sentiments, it's really nice. The shoulder is a bit of a bummer, but I hate to say but i'm kinda used to it. a couple days of babying/sling and then a slow workup and in a week should be good to go, i used to not go more than 6-8 weeks w/o it going out, and this is the longest (hasn't happened since Aug) I am just happy it didn't happen during my primary recovery! Sadly, it's timing is more symbolic to something else going on my life.

However comma- the hip is felling quite nice lately, thank-you-very-much! It really feels like it's back to the point it was 'pre-ride', so almost a month setback. Muscles there are a little sore from some extra long walks yesterday and extra PT, but that's all. I won't quite say I 'overdid it', but today will be a little more 'relaxed':wink:

And vida- I'm more a therapeutic 'barley juice' kinda person:cheers:
 
Hey Dave, great to hear your hip is feeling good! That's because you've been so nice to it, isn't it? Take care of your shoulder! That also need some TLC.

About the whole freaky loose joint sensation; I spoke to my 'company doctor' (arbo arts) today - in the Netherlands you have an extra advisory doctor connected to your workplace who advises your boss when you can go back to work or not, all very social and official here. He acknowledged the 'dropping' sensation in the hip joint, it even has an official name in Dutch (which I'll spare you, most Dutch would just look to you like I inadvertantly sat on the computer keyboard). He said it's definitely got to do with muscle strength round the hip joint and not with any possible form of malalignment. Thank God for that hey? That horrible sensation has almost disappeared completely with me, so I think I'm getting stronger even with my little hobbling around the house on crutches.

And it's all nothing a bit of grape or barley juice can't aleve hey?

Upwards and onwards I say!
 
(which I'll spare you, most Dutch would just look to you like I inadvertantly sat on the computer keyboard).
and most likely not to me! I have a pretty decent comprehension of German (and also thanks to much study of Belgian brewing:wink: ) I can figure out a good bit of Dutch. However, If you want a fair string of that, try Finnish! I have only basic skills in it yet, but grew up around it and have been studying more as of late.

also glad to hear you are doing better and had loads of questions answered- after my couple nights of 'joint drop', I got very strict about my physio (figuring the weakness was the issue now), and added many excercises I've seen on here to the routine, and began adding ankle weights to it and am slowly moving those up .5lb every 5 days or so- haven't had any drop since! But you must be in the same mindset as me that this new muscle strength just can't come soon enough..... bet you can't wait to be free of the crutches! I still take the cane out in case I get tired, but don't seem to need it too much.

so as you say- zeer goed en proost!
 
I had 're-dislocated' my shoulder yesterday (and) my referring orthopedist about finding someone to take care of it arthroscopically (my ref ortho can only do it 'open')- he discussed having that taken care of after the hip is all healed up, so that is in my not-too-distant future as well!
Well, you might like to join us other shoulder folk here Need Support and Tips-Rotator Cuff Surgery Scheduled.
 
Well, things are definitely on the mend finally I think, and my 'setback' appears officially over, as I took the dog for a 2 mile walk Saturday - with NO CANE. Oh hell yeah!:yes!: Since we've had temps around 60f, it was a lovely day for a stroll along a nice & flat popular shopping street here- I think I could have gone further, but didn't want to push my luck. Sun we went to a bike shop to get some indoor trainer parts (I am gonna wait to go 'on the road' a while longer yet) and tips on local 'flattish' bike paths- and then took another nice mile or so walk, but i caught myself starting to limp after a few blocks (had the cane with me luckily) no pain, so guess I was just tired from the long walks on Sat. It's days like this I just really want to take the bike out - especially when I hear of other hip folks taking nice easy rides- but I don't trust myself, 'cos if I get in the 'bike zen' moment again I just might be tempted to push it...
 
Be nice to that hip yeah? Promise?
 
Glad to hear youve had a good walk and I've stayed of the bikes. I did go for a walk today in the snow but used the walking poles they made a huge difference gave me the extra stability I needed. Gradually getting the flexion back so socks are getting easier again. The indoor bike stand is the way to go.
 
Glad you are NOT looking for the higher ground, but are looking for some "flattish" area. Your hip muscles will thank you for taking the lower road in this case.:)
 
Be nice to that hip yeah? Promise?

Oh trust me, I am no hurry to 'slide back' again. I'm only feeling like I am at the point I was pre-setback, so I know there's a ways to go, and fully expect 'crappy' days yet.

And the bike is going to stay inside- got a trainer and a magazine rack, so I can at least pedal without having to go to the gym to do that.

Puddle- did you ever look at getting an indoor trainer for your bike? I know you can get 'basic' ones here for under 100 USD (new) and cheaper if used - that way you could take advantage of your regular bike's riding position.
 
Davefd I did look at the indoor trainers and one it takes up room we dont have and two I might just overdo it again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom