THR Setback at 8 weeks out- and the come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dave, I'm hoping to get back to MTB as well. I never went for the overly aggressive stuff, just a moderate challenge, so I'm hoping that will work out well. Mostly I want to get out in the woods. I'm not ready for on or off road quite yet. Flat trail maybe, but the weather here is not so great in the winter. In the last couple years I have been doing more hiking than riding, but that is a function of who will go out and play with me. My bike is an old hard tail, but I may look into getting a full suspension this summer.

Anyway, I have been doing spin (lower resistance until I am officially 3 months out) and elliptical at the gym. Interestingly, I have found the spin irritates my hip a bit more than the elliptical, so I have switched so that I am doing more elliptical than spin for now. I think it may be that my hip isn't quite ready for the angle of riding a bike for much time yet. It is getting better, albeit slowly, and I am getting my cardio going a bit. Just suggesting that if you have access, you might want to try the elliptical. Just don't yank on it and throw out your shoulder!

Good luck!
 
Hi Dave, How has your bike riding adventures been treating you lately? Are you doing better? I was just curious. Do you feel like you are getting stronger or have you been taking it easy?
 
Hey luluohio-

Actually I am feeling stronger and am taking it easy more or less. No taking the bike on the road yet, but i've been increasing time and resistance on the gym stationary bike, as well as working up time on the indoor trainer. I think on my 4 month anniversary, I will actually take the bike on the road for a short spin. Before I go tho, I am going to put a large sign on my door that says 'NO MORE THAN 15 MIN, AND GO EASY. WALK THE HILLS' to knock it into my thick skull on the way out!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Setback at 8 weeks out- and the come back? And, Dave, please don't forget that you'll have the return trip to make to---so that's 7 1/2 minutes each way. I'll look forward to a report on that trip.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Setback at 8 weeks out- and the come back?
 
I think on my 4 month anniversary, I will actually take the bike on the road for a short spin. Before I go tho, I am going to put a large sign on my door that says 'NO MORE THAN 15 MIN, AND GO EASY. WALK THE HILLS' to knock it into my thick skull on the way out!
Pedalling a bike is actually very smooth and probably less stress on the hip than walking and pushing the bike. You just need a low enough gear so you're not stomping out of the saddle, like an ultra-low granny gear on mountain bikes.
 
I'm a month ahead of you, farting-dog, and I've been riding my bike since week 5. But slow, easy rides---I know it is tough for guys to take it slow and easy, but you need to start that way.
I feel great after I've ridden my bike---no pain.
Take it easy! Have fun! not mutually exclusive, you know:SUNsmile:
 
Pedalling a bike is actually very smooth and probably less stress on the hip than walking and pushing the bike. You just need a low enough gear so you're not stomping out of the saddle, like an ultra-low granny gear on mountain bikes.

Actually gearing up the hills (and no 'out of the saddle', believe me!) is what got me into this mess!:snork:
 
Hey Dave, I got my second THR on Nov. 20, and all is well :) At 9 1/2 week mark--one week ago--I had been off the cane for 2 or 3 days and really needed a good, vigorous walk. And I took one, going more than a mile in less than 20 minutes until I checked myself, realizing that that was probably a bit too much after 2 or 3 days post-cane. Anyway, I was more than typically sore after that (duh), but I just took it easy for a couple of days and then worked through the residual soreness. So, keep up the good work! Lira
 
Well, I think lately has been one of those 'turning a corner' periods in the last week. Noticed I'm not clamoring for an ice pack several times a day- I'll get on the indoor trainer or the stationary bike at the gym, and nothing really hurts after. Been upping time and resistance levels as well (About 40 min combined time yesterday) plus 2 looong walks. Seems the only thing that limits my time/distance is my general malaise lately - probably due to months of post op 'blahhh' combined with seasonal 'blahhh', or maybe just BLAHH...

Did hit a 'milestone' a couple days ago- when getting on the MTB indoor trainer, I just stepped in the pedal, swung my leg over and mounted it like normal! I had to try it (slowly) a couple more times to be sure I actually did just do it. Up until now, I've been using a milk crate as a step stool to help mount the bike!

Still waiting on the real ride- Just want to keep up on the trainer for a week or 2 yet (plus the colder, damp weather doesn't exactly make for great riding!)

Actually started tapering off pain meds (been on disgusting amounts for far too long, so slow process there), as I'm not hurting so much anymore (knock on wood).
 
Oh - I wanted to ask- has anybody else had loads of tightness on the inside of the op thigh this far out from surgery? Also last night noticed a big old 'lump' about midway down the inside thigh- kind of like some huge muscle knot. It's like the aductor muscle is super tight and angry and ends in a big knot.

I can't seem to stretch it or massage it out to knock it back into line. Even use a heating pad at night, and try to sleep with my leg slightly bent and 'open' to try and stretch it when using the pad.

Any tips/tricks anyone have?
 
Hi Dave, I also felt a similar sensation in both areas for quite some months post op. It was a random tightness and lump sensation and certainly associated with my exercising with Nordic Walking.

The good news! I slowed my pace with exercising and it seemed to work it self out.

I still consider my self at 14 + months not fully healed until the two year mark, so that is what I am working towards :)

Try rubbing a mixture of olive oil with several drops each of pure Eucalyptus and pure Tea Tree oil into the areas. The olive oil is an antioxidant and the Eucalyptus and TT oils are natural anti-inflammatories.. Just remember only a few drops of the last two oils :)
 
just an update for posterity- the weather was so nice Saturday I went for a (just under)15 min bike ride. man, I am still so out of shape on the road! I can go forever on the trainer (and have been doing ~30 daily) - but I live in a very hilly area. It felt great, but was a bit sore yesterday- not too bad mind you, just enough to remind me... I was soooo tempted to go again yesterday as it was so nice out again, but reminded myself of what happened last time! And I kept forgetting to grab the ice packs yesterday to boot. Feel pretty good today, maybe a little residual stiffness, but will probably ice a little and make it an 'day off' for bike/gym/etc

Also finally got outpatient PT on Friday, so that was really good - mostly she felt everything was going well, but warned me against doing too much yet- when I'd say 'but, but , but.....' she'd say 'uh-uh- not yet!'. Got some really good new stretches as well. Had my sit-bones measured there too to help chose a good bike saddle- turns out apparently they are about 6.5" apart! I knew I had wide hips and all, but I was 'wow!'. I have no idea how I used to manage such a narrow bike saddle all those years! Probably a lower riding position and lots of 'riding off the saddle'. Oh, and 'indestructible' youth I think:wink: Also went to a bike shop and got fitted with their 'butt-o-meter' to double check. The guy takes the measurement and says- 'you definitely want the wider saddle' - I asked about possible narrower saddles, but he shook his head (had also told him I was post THR). Luckily Specialized makes all their saddles in multiple widths (which is why I went to this particular shop- they carry loads of 'em), so I got a new 168mm one to try out.

Looking forward to more bike riding in the future, but even the little bit of pain yesterday was kind of a bummer as I was so hoping at 16 weeks out I'd be able to ride a short spell completely pain free- and I'm not feeling so patient anymore! Maybe I'll try riding around again every few days or so. I am really longing to able to do a 'decent' ride again, and was kind of starting to hope to be able to for my 4-month anniversary coming up.

I guess at least one positive note I just thought of- is that at least I know now the cycling will be happening in the future as opposed the pre-THR 'sadly never again' feeling.
 
Dave, the terrain around where you live must be similar to mine. I couldn't go for a short ride without using my lowest gear. We've had a couple of good snowstorms in the last month, so I won't be venturing out until spring. I'm wondering about your PT's advice on saddles. Is she even a cyclist? But then, if you're riding a roadster-type bike where you sit bolt upright, just like on an exercise bike, then I guess all your weight would be on your sitz bones.
 
Dave, the terrain around where you live must be similar to mine. I couldn't go for a short ride without using my lowest gear. We've had a couple of good snowstorms in the last month, so I won't be venturing out until spring. I'm wondering about your PT's advice on saddles. Is she even a cyclist? But then, if you're riding a roadster-type bike where you sit bolt upright, just like on an exercise bike, then I guess all your weight would be on your sitz bones.

Terrain here is funny- there's a long stretch of road hear that 'appears' flat, but is a slight grade up all the way out- I was almost in granny gear! However, it makes the ride back in quite fun - I think I hit 28MPH- weeee! Otherwise loads of up/down and some quite drastic- in some areas here the terrain can change hundreds of feet in elevation in ~1/4 mi

PT doesn't ride and had no advice on the saddle- I just figured if armed with a measurement it could help my decision- but that's why I made sure to double check at the bike shop, as they have you sit in a different position- closer to a riding posture and give you a more 'proper' recco. I ride slightly more upright than most folks normally would (but certainly not as upright as a crusier/stationary) as I put a stem riser & riser bars on my MTB - all in the name of 'comfort' as I stopped serious off-road activity years ago. I might try a 155mm saddle if I don't like this width- It seems to be an eternal quest. Have tried 3 different saddles in the last month- got a 'comfort' one that was just awesome on the trainer, but when I went out in my 'good' bike shorts this wknd it was just way too 'chunky'. For grins I fit up my old saddle, threw on the shorts and mounted up and my first thought was 'OMG this hurts!' and it just seems to sink right into my crotch - did a couple pedal strokes and the ol' hip started to ache pretty badly - it's btwn 128-130mm, which makes it quite narrow in the saddle world

The newest one is this
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/saddles/womens-roadmultisport-saddles/womens-lithia-comp-gel
The shop guy pulled out a couple- but I chose this as like a little bit of pad in the saddle as well.
 
Dave, Glad to hear you know that you will be riding again, this might not help as husband does not have a THR, but he swears by the Brooks saddles, like John was talking about.
 
Dave, Glad to hear you know that you will be riding again, this might not help as husband does not have a THR, but he swears by the Brooks saddles, like John was talking about.
At the risk of stirring a hornets nest here I go on the record as 'Not a Brooks fan'- never bought into that or saw the point. I actually prefer to sit on something 'comfortable':wink:
 
Well, what you like is what you like. I thought the Brooks looked uncomfortable, but to please hubby tried it and had to admit, once it settled it felt much better than the Selle Italia one I had, but I am an amateur my husband itis obsession
 
I think Brooks is an 'acquired taste' and more popular with diehard 'roadies'. It's got its cult following for sure. I'm more of a MTB guy, but own 4 or 5 bikes and have rather enjoyed my road bikes when I felt the 'need for speed' - man 45-50+mph on a descent is AWESOME.
------------
Would like to report I just tried the new saddle (specialized Lithia) on trainer, and it is VERY nice and and fits quite well actually, definitely well designed- can't wait for a road test. Only reason I could see moving to a slightly more narrow saddle is it is easier to slide back off it, but this one isn't too bad for that either as long as you weren't 'racing'. It offers rather good support and no chafing (as of yet). did a back-to-back with the narrow saddle and it's a world of diference- tho in an agressive 'forward' position old one is not too bad (I can see why I liked it years ago), but I think the new hip likes the extra support.
 
Hi Dave, I have been reading your recovery thread and was thinking of you as I was riding my stationary bike yesterday and looking forward to getting out on the REAL bike. Glad to hear you were able to get out for a short ride. There is nothing like the feeling of cruising along on a bicycle!
 
Good stuff Dave, fresh air, peddling away enjoying the sheer joy of being able to do that again.. good for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom