Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

@sequin98 I tried one of the molded plastic ones and found it very uncomfortable. I'm really short and that made toilet seat too high so my feet dangled and could not reach the floor. So I borrowed a bedside commode, took the "bucket" out and fitted the frame around my toilet. Adjusted the height for me ..... and that worked very well plus was usable by others. Where I live there are Senior Service Centers that loan out equipment for folks having surgery. But their clientele are 62 and older. You might check in your area to see if there is some place where you can borrow or rent some of equipment you need.... cuz you are not going to need these things for more than 2-3 months.
 
Hi @sequin98, welcome! I bought a seat riser, about 3 inches that your regular toilet seat goes on top of, then all is fastened to the toilet. Also borrowed a metal handrail that sits on the floor and can be adjusted for height. The handrail really helped, especially in the early days. Hope that helps.
 
Awesome! I am glad to hear about the 'no installation' option. Thank you!
 
Our toilet is one of those that is a couple inches higher than some. I asked my OS if I needed a seat riser and he said "no" so I didn't get one. It was doable and I made out fine with the one we had. I do agree with @djklaugh that there are often places where you can borrow medical equipment. Our local rescue squad keeps a large supply of medical equipment that they loan. My husband went there are borrowed a shower chair for me to use as I was having a difficult time trying to step over the edge of the tub to use the shower. The chair worked great as I could sit down and then lift my leg over. Just to clarify, I had anterior approach so no restrictions. Good luck! You will do just fine.
 
I tried one of the molded plastic ones and found it very uncomfortable. I'm really short and that made toilet seat too high so my feet dangled and could not reach the floor.
so common sense should have made it obvious that you really didn't need one!
 
I called the clinic for an update, and was told March or April. Crazy. I hope I can make it...

I have been dealing with this for the last 3 years. Any stories of waiting would be great...
 
Gosh - so sorry your wait is so long! Only advice I can give you is try and stay off that hip as much as possible. Use a cane or crutch to keep the weight off the joint.
 
Hi @sequin98 . I can't imagine having to wait that long while you're in pain. When I first started seeing the orthopedist for hip pain they said it was from my back, I didn't have the usual hip symptoms. So for over a year, I had PT, injections in my back and saw a chiropractor. Finally I insisted on a new MRI, and low and behold it showed my hip as bone on bone. Surgery was scheduled within a month, but was then postponed because of a cardiac issue. After testing and meds, the cardiologist cleared me for surgery. I then put it off so I wouldn't mess up vacation with my granddaughters. Surgery is now nine weeks behind me and things are good. Hip pain gone. I hope the time flies for you, maybe they will have a cancellation and you can have surgery sooner. Sending you healing thoughts and prayers.
 
Gracious, no help here...only sympathy. Hold on, it is coming.
 
I try to keep my sanity by telling myself there is someone who needs it more, but honestly, most days I'm like dammit, who needs it more than me??
 
We had a member from Canada who had to wait a whole year for her surgery! Never did know how she coped with that!
 
If you don’t have private health insurance in Australia the wait can be very lengthy :(
I feel for you!
 
My OS is booked 4 months out. Still waiting to hear for a cancellation opening. :sad:
 
I guess I’d just keep calling them every couple weeks to make sure you are on list and see if it gets moved sooner. Also, be sure you are on cancellation list. I had to wait a couple months and that was long enough. Sorry you have to wait so long but any time you get frustrated or feel like venting, we are here to listen and support you. Wishing you an earlier cancellation!
 
It took me a year to see the OS the first time. She told me I did not need surgery yet, so I saw her a year later. She told me I needed a new hip, I asked about a BH, she referred me to the surgeon who does them. I waited 8 months to see him, he ruled out BH due to my allergy to nickle. And her I am.
The effects of long term chronic pain are brutal. The staff at this clinic actually have a part in the out going phone message, asking that patients do not call several times. (I do anyway)
 
I assume that BH is Birmingham hip resurfacing procedure can understand nickel issue but did they discuss the fairly new cross linked polyethylene acetabular cup option with you it seems to be being used a lot more now and avoids metal on metal might be worth going back with that question at your young age resurfacing may be a good option . So sorry for you having to put up with all this wait .
 
The one that does it, will not do it on anyone with an allergy.
Gah.
 
Last edited:
Oh my. I AM sorry. Yes, chronic pain is a bummer.
I wish you could discover a way to get it done earlier.
I'll pray for some peace for you until you can get something done.:prayer:
 
What will become of my old hip?
Will they cremate it? Toss it with the bio hazards?
Could I have it? I have my wisdom teeth...
Curious...

Liz:scaredycat:
 
Hi Liz,

Yes hospital labeled it as a bio hazard and will destroy it. I made a special request to my doc that I want to take my old hip with me home, after 30 years being together I was just not ready yet to let this guy go :eyebrows:. Doctor said 'no problem' and I don't even need to fill any form for this, as in Indonesia (or maybe majority of Asian country) it is common practice to bury body parts as a gesture of respect to nature/Higher power that we need to put back it to the mother earth.

So right after the surgery the nurse came and hand me my old hip in a clear plastic bag with a label "danger, biological hazard" on the plastic bag, pretty scary but pretty cool too. For my case I did no bury the bone, I keep it in a mason jar with 90% alcohol in my living room. After all these time, battling cancer and having AVN (as the side effects of chemo) I want my old hip to be displayed as a reminder of my battle as a reminder that I survive cancer.

I can show the picture here but since it is a bit disturbing I don't thing admins will allow it, it doesn't look good though because AVN destroyed it pretty bad.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom