TKR (Sequential) 12 months already

Makes me smile that I made you giggle!
All you can do after a visit to ODIC is ice and elevate. This may sound crazy, but after I visit "the club" I elevate as high as I can. Toes over nose for sure. It seems to get the swelling down quicker.
Feel better! :flwrysmile:
 
We started in Exmouth and did some scuba diving and snorkeling and camping at the Ningaloo Reef. Then took an overnight bus to Perth - beautiful city and we were lucky to see an exhibit of Monet while there for a few days. We rented a car and spent a couple of weeks travelling in the Margaret River region - beautiful country (and wineries!). One highlight was spending a couple of days on the coast (Pt. Ann perhaps??) where there were lots of whales. I hope to get back to your country again someday. But first I have to get past this recovery :snork:.
 
Good Morning all,
@beachy I read some of your replies on other threads and you always make me laugh, ☺
@kmak81230 that sounds like a lovely trip, we are about 2 hours further south than Margaret River and inland with the tall tree's, but visit there every year, unsure of what point you went to dont know of a pt Anne, Augusta a bit futher south from Mageret river has lots of whales maybe it is there some where☺
 
Update and Question
For the last couple of days I have been doing more walking around house a bit of tidying etc but always stop when knees are a bit achy and stiff, I then elevate and ice for at least 45 minutes, I tried to reduce my 50mg SR Tramadol Sunday night and only took one in morning, that was a mistake I forget one knee is younger than the other, so spent yesterday getting pain under control and made sure I took it morning and night yesterday and feel much better today,
My little issue is I have developed a rash on my newest knee both sides, it looks like shavers rash and gets worse when I ice , could I be icing to much? It is not itchy, hot and does not blanch when pressing on it it is not raised or weepy, its not causing me any pain it is just odd any one else had this?
The only thing I did different was rub some hospital skincare cream into both legs as they are both very dry with flaky skin but no rash on first knee☺
Also both knees are still realy stiff and I have to concentrate when walking to use heal and toe when stepping or I tend to walk like a pirate with 2 wooden legs :groan:
 
Are you putting a cloth between your skin and the ice bag? If so, it might be the cream you used. Remember that the knee and skin went through a very traumatic surgery just a couple of weeks ago.
 
@sistersinhim I am making sure I have something between ice and knee, the gel packs are in a bag and this sits on top of my trouser leg, but I think you might be right it is the cream I have just read the label and it has lots of yukky stuff in it (now I know why they stopped using it in hospitals) and it affected my new knee because it is new and the skin is more sensitive☺
Thankyou for answering so fast, I guess I went into panick mode, kind of like oh noo what now:loll:
 
Thank you @cherterr , your messages are so encouraging, reminds me to notice even the small victories☺
 
And speaking of small victories, the rash on my knee is beginning to subside so it was definately the cream I used to moisturise legs
I can walk around the house without any aide, and I am beginning to walk heal toe without thinking about it (goodbye peg legs):happydance:
Cant quite get on excersise bike yet, as I thought I might try doing the rocking of the pedals may be next week after I have been to my first PT appointment
Managed to sit at the table and eat lunch with my friend yesterday legs down for 30 minutes :yes!:

Thank you again for being there so glad I found this site☺
 
Yay, what a good post! Having your leg down that long is a huge feat! Go girl!
 
It sounds like you're doing great for 2 weeks post op on #2!

Once you start rocking (carefully and slowly) on the bike a few times you'll find that one day you make a full rotation. I was shocked when it happened. At 7 weeks I can make full rotations slowly. Woo hoo. Small victories.
Hang in there!
 
Just a weeee problem need to work out how to get on it, it's a bit tricky with having a she and a he knee (didn't realise I gave them that title till you pointed out @beachy ha!ha!), she is being a bother, and he is fabulous, and yes I am pleased with how things are going, but I am not trusting either knee enough to get my leg over to get on the excersise bike:upright:

Thank you @sistersinhim it was @cherterr post that made me look for the victories and sitting with my legs down that long sure was an acheivement, I have notebook that I record my medictions for the day and any activity big or small, ie made coffee, did a load of laundry etc, now I also choose a victory for the day and write that down, it helps a lot and stops me focusing on pain and lack of sleep:console2:
 
Keeping a list of your successes for the day is a wonderful idea! How uplifting and encouraging. It's great to look back and see our improvements made just in a short week!
 
Kneerah!! @gecko! Here's to small victories -- may they continue. We are right in synch - I tried my first very slow pedal rocking at PT on Monday. My bike at home is not manageable yet, so need to find one (maybe at PT) that I can more easily get on and off - I expect it is more challenging for you with knee #1 so new. My walking is also getting better - the ice is off my street so I will try for a 5-10 minute walk outside today. Well done on the sitting at a table for a meal. I also try to do that for at least one meal a day but have not quite lasted 30 minutes. Onward and upward :beer:
 
Gecko, is it recumbent bike or a high one?
I did forget about getting on it with an almost btkr!
 
I had a high seated exercise bike which was hard to get on after my TKR, a little stool was necessary and it killed my back as well as my butt. But cycling was so good for me and my TKR that I found a very inexpensive recumbent bike at Walmart for $200. It is super easy to get on/off and the supportive back is wonderful. I still use that recumbent bike every day!
 
@kmak81230 sounds like you are doing an amazing job, I think we just have to keep on keeping on:loll:some days it is great and some days its not

@beachy it is an old upright one and have not managed to get on, not that I tried sort of fell in a heap , but slowly getting back

@KarriB yes mine is an upright may try the stool today, hopefully they will have a recumbent bike at PT on Monday so I can have a try first before buying one:) :-) (:

@sistersinhim was it difficult to get down on a recumbent bike, I might be thinking of something different:) :-) (:
 
@sistersinhim was it difficult to get down on a recumbent bike
No, not at all. I hung on to the side handles and lowered myself down. If yours wouldn't have the handles, you could still put your hands on the seat and lower yourself down that way. I find the recumbent is much better on my back and my butt! It's a little tougher knee workout, but I kept that at my knee's level of response.
 
Well imediatley after writing my last post I put my phone in my dilly bag around my neck ..just in case.. picked up my step and went outside and got on the bike, I managed to rock back and forth for about a minute, not long I know but hey small steps, almost had a panick attack trying to get off until I gave myself a mental slap and just reversed what I did to get on :loveshwr:

@sistersinhim You know I am thinking with old knees in mind before my ops I would shudder at the thought of getting down that low as it would be absoloute agony to get back up, so hoping the PT has one I can try with new knee's ☺
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom