TKR (Sequential) 12 months already

Literally on the other side of the world! :)

No one knows what is going on with our own body better than we do. All the doctors, nurses, and therapists in the world don’t KNOW what we know. We feel the pain. We feel the ups and downs, the changes and the consequences. So the idea that we should blindly follow ALL medical advice overlooks that we have vital information.

I respect medical people enormously. At the same time, if my body (meaning “me”) is saying that something feels off or wrong, that’s information to which I should pay attention. So, yes, I do question my treatment in cases where I think I might have the right information. In PT, for example. If my knee says “Ouch! That’s not right!” I listen and stop. My knee isn’t going to “not heal” because I stopped doing an exercise that day.

My recliner was my best friend, too! I still visit it and take naps. It’s a member of the family.
 
Hi @Jockette here in WA we don't change time in spring or fall but the other states have what they call daylight saving
 
Just about to pop of to bed @SusieShoes I totaly agree about us having intimate knowledge about our own bodies, but I never thought I would not be heard, after this last surgery I am in charge of what happens to me , but enough of that onwards and upwards on the road to recovery
I would like to think that I listen to my patients in fact I know I do, I am a nurse you see....and I guess a little dissapointed :umm:
 
Sleep well! I think nurses know more than doctors in lots of situations, because nurses often have more meaningful—meaning one on one—contact with patients. We all need to 1) choose the best medical professionals we can find, and 2) listen to them. We should also listen to the patient, ourselves. It’s the last part that many people have trouble doing. I don’t know why. Maybe because we’re trained to trust experts over our own skills at weighing information.

I hope your patients do listen to you, because you clearly listen to them!
 
Thank you @SusieShoes I think you are right we need to listen more to ourselves as we are trained to follow instruction, hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving :flwrysmile:
 
I am going to try and update recovery every second day , I think I am very lucky so far with both my knees as I have no pain when resting and minimum pain whilst walking, I am however very strict with taking my pain medication, and not doing anything to physical as per excersises

No:1 knee is 23 days old and I have 2 issues with her if I allow her to get to tired or a little swollen my foot goes off and I mean really off, some times it is so bad I just want to take it off and put it in a drawer somewhere☺ it is managed some what with my essential oils but have to catch it as soon as it starts.
And secondly I have a burning sensation in the inner ( medial ) aspect of the knee tending more towards the lower leg and the back it is happening when I walk on it, sometimes it just goes away and other times I just have to get back to my chair and ice and elevate before it subsides

No:2 knee is 10 days old and he is just sore this is to be expected but I have this band around the top of knee and it is really stopping me being able to bend it , I have also noticed that I am pointing my foot out to the side lateraly when I go to walk almost like the band is forcing my foot out, it does not hurt when I bring foot straight before stepping on it , but it definately wants to be pointing out

Had dressing removed yesterday and GP says both wounds are looking good but need to start getting some bend happening , my husband says my No1 knee has a 90 degree bend and I can straighten both legs flat (fingers wont slide under) No2 knee, well having a bit of trouble with him I think probably a 60 degree bend at a push
I am excersising but not majorly I decided to go gently for the first week home, and my intention is to get into a more structured but not crazy excersise routine starting Monday, infact a more normal structured day routine at the moment if I dont want to get out of bed I dont as pain meds make me drowsy, which usually means going to bed late etc etc

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and :thankyou:for being there ☺
 
Hi @gecko - your #2 knee and my #2 knee are surgery twins. Like you my bend is currently about 60. I think I was about 75 at the hospital but with the post-surgery swelling I seem to be more stiff and swollen. My first knee was slow to get both flexion and extension so I am just trying to be patient, rest, ice, and elevate. Best wishes for a good recovery. I'm impressed that you had both done in such a short time frame.
 
Thanks @kmak81230 I am glad I did them both close together though for a while there I thought I was just plain crazy, but things are settling now, I have only had one issue so far were the first knee was not strong enough to support the second and that was getting into my bath/shower, but we fixed that so it is all good, we seem to have the same bend on our twin knee's though I know we dont compare , and I think once we have the post op swelling under control we will be fine, hope you have an amazing recovery:console2:
 
Had dressing removed yesterday and GP says both wounds are looking good but need to start getting some bend happening
10 days out is way to early to worry about ROM. Even 4 weeks is very early.

Keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
I am with you @Jockette I was amazed to hear her say that, though it was my GP and not my OS, but not to worry I will be doing my recovery the bonesmart way I am fairly happy with how things are going thus far taking it nice and easy
My hubby and I managed to have a high five moment today my first knee had enough strength to allow me to get into our bath /shower and have a real shower:yes!:
 
@Jockette you asked @gecko an incomplete question! @gecko what time and what day is it now? I am in Western Canada and it is 8:55pm on Friday the 23rd of November. Where Jockette is it should be 11:55 pm on Friday the 23rd of November. I expect is Sunday for you right now, isn't it? I am appalled by the treatment you've received in hospital and extremely impressed by you having your second surgery so soon after the first! I am on day 3 and cannot imagine doing this again in less than two weeks!
 
I stumbled across your thread and I have to say you really got a pair :snork:(and I'm not talking about your knees) to be able to have both knees replaced in two weeks - Dear God you're my new hero!! :wow:
 
@cherterr I would of had them both done same day but my OS would not hear of it, and believe me whilst in hospital after having no 2 knee done I thought I had lost my marbles and wondered what I was thinking, but since being home I am glad I did I just want to get back to pain free work both in proffesion and in life:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Gecko! I just caught up on your progress. Congrats on your high five moment. Those little victories are great.
You're absolutely right on doing nothing but icing and getting that swelling under control.....times 2. Your lefty is still swollen I bet. I noticed that lefty is a she and righty is a he? Try to keep them away from each other ok? You don't need a third bad knee :rotfl:.
 
I was also in Western Australia for about a month in 2001 -- one of the nicest places I've ever travelled to. Congrats on knee #1 stepping up for your shower. My knee #1 is whining now and then and it's had 18 months to heal :heehee:
 
@grandma chris , it's difficult with all the daylight saving that goes on to gauge the right times in other area's, glad you liked WA we are very lucky to live here☺

@beachy you made me giggle so :thankyou:I needed it, I am having a bit of a tough day today , afraid I overdid it yesterday, it is very easy to forget one knee is newer than the other , and I will be sure to keep them apart, the thought of another knee makes me shudder:rotfl:

@kmak81230 , how are you going , it was great to be able to have a good shower, glad you liked WA we love it here, very lucky:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom