TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
tell it like it is SZ... each of us had our own challenges and some of us have the same as others.... as you say one day we will look back and laugh - cheers Maggie x
 
yeap! I am still not ready at this point in my recovery to commit to my other knee. This one was not fun to say the least. I was going to do the other in November so I could take advantage of my insurance covering 100%. I just can't get there from here right now. I think instead I'm going to file a disability claim
On my knees with the VA first. That way, they will cover the other when ever I am ready. My justification are past injuries, injured knees in airborne school and ten years of pounding them there after. I shouldn't be bone on bone already.

I was going back next week to work, but after an exploratory trip into the office on Tuesday, and my Boss saw how I was getting around, when I emailed the plan in, she pushed me to wait another week at least.

Is your plan to do full or half days?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Full or half days -- not really my choice. Most jobs don't allow employees to choose. You're either in or out, but as I mentioned before, no one will give me a hard time if I have to leave early some days in the beginning.
My plan for the other knee was to do it next January, partly because I was able to avoid going to work in all the snow we had this year. But now, it depends on how well this recovery goes. Everybody says 6 months to a year for a full recovery. It had better be 6 months because I can't fathom going through this again until Knee #1 is pretty operational.
 
I hear you folks about wishing we knew more! Every doc, nurse, or PT visit we hear something that would have been good to know a week or two ago. Wish OS offices would hand out a card with this websites info on it when you go for the initial consult... would have saved me so much pain and depression!
 
SZ

Will be praying for a smooth transition back to work for you and lots of uninterrupted sleep!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well my boss will let me do halfs. I been doing that since week two from home. I conference call into meetings, everyone jokes about my recliner I sit in, then they wish me well and we do the meetings. So I will phase in and still do meetings from home when I am off. Helps being the manager of the biggest unit in my division


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A tennis ball works great SZ! Every time I pick one up my Brady girl thinks it for her to chase..but it does feel good to roll it around on the sore muscles...hope you have a great weekend and that the knee is behaving!
 
Knee is sorta behaving. Killing me at night still but behaving a little better during the day. Off to find my tennis balls!
 
Knee pillow, girl you know you need one. Check out my post with pictures of my PT stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Do I have this right, SZ? Are you going back to work this week? Good luck! I hope that all goes as smoothly as possible for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope you had a good day at work and your knee was not mad about it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I thought you go back next week. If you did go, how was it?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hmm, no response, I'm getting worried she fell asleep
On the buss and ended up back in the middle of New York


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Teehee!
I go back tomorrow. Truth be told, I'm not looking forward to it. Did a sort of test run today:

Did my federal taxes months ago but state was a little complicated so decided to take it to H&R Block which is a short bus ride away. Seemed to take forever to get to the bus stop but I made it. Was a little early for the bus to arrive, so went down the street to the drugstore and then back to the bus stop. I get around okay with my cane but this was the first time I'd be on my feet, on the cane, alone for more than a few minutes. It's slow going, but I get there.

Waited 45 minutes to be seen at the place and then took another 40 minutes to finish. Had to walk 4 blocks to go to the post office, and the bus stop is right near it. When I checked the bus schedule to go back, I had to wait 35 minutes. For a minute I considered walking since I was about a mile from home but that's 20-25 minutes on my feet and I was afraid I might not make it. If my knee decided to stiffen and lock up halfway home, what would I do? As an aside, this is another reason why I'm planning to move soon. I live in a suburban area and this New Yorker is used to buses that come every 20 minutes! :-)

So I went into a store by the bus stop and walked around for a few minutes, then went out to sit at the bus stop. I was starving when I got home so I wolfed down some rotisserie chicken and some cookies and the next thing I knew, I was asleep.
The thing is, I slept away a good portion of the day! I woke up a few times but basically I was wiped out for the entire day.

I'm scheduled to go back tomorrow and I'm wondering: can I make it through the day??
 
Good luck pal remember that was way more walking and standing than going to work,

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hey SZ - work tomorrow - will have my fingers crossed for you that it goes smoothly. Remember to take some gel pacs with you so you have "ice" on hand for when you are sitting. Please post tomorrow and let us know how you got on - I'm sure you will be fine. Go the strong women - Maggie x
 
Way to go, SZ! I agree with Legin, that was a whole bunch of walking and being on your feet. I'll be thinking of you today & cheering you on from the sidelines!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Best of luck today! Hope the busses run like clockwork and your day breezes by.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom