Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

@Babushelen I have no clue where Bronco's stadium is yet, but I'm sure I'll find out at some point. I can't wait to meander in Denver, except the knees are limiting my meandering.

From my description in last night's post of what I am finding difficult, can anyone more experienced tell me their thoughts? Am I doing ok at almost 6 months? Here is a quote from my post from last night:

but there's still lots that is challenging. Like sitting for any length of time, or walking as fast as others in my family, or climbing upstairs like a regular person instead of slow and steady, or walking more than around the block without getting tired muscles in my legs, or being able to bend my knees far enough to get to my feet in the shower. As to the latter, I can get to my feet, but it is still a stretch, and I need to do it very carefully, hanging onto the safety bar at the same time.

I'm wondering if I should get a shower seat, or if I should just keep working on making my legs stronger so that raising them up in the shower to reach my feet will get easier. I remember much earlier in my recovery I wondered, in a post, if I should get a recliner, and someone, Josephine I think, remarked that spending the money on the recliner post surgery might not make sense, since the need for the recliner would not be as great as time went on. At least that was my interpretation of what she said. So I'm wondering if the same could be said for a shower seat. I left the shower seat I had in CA, and did not move it, because it was a big one and the legs were half in the tub and half on the floor of the bathroom, and kind of took over the room. It was a lovely shower seat, but I felt like I was ready to move on. Now I wonder if I got rid of it prematurely.

I wonder too when I can expect to climb stairs more easily. I can certainly do so without any pain, but I have to help myself a little bit with the handrail. And going downstairs is also a little challenging, and it involves a little more herky jerky movements than going up.

There's a Safeway about a half mile from my place, and I long to be able to meander over there, sip a coffee at the Starbuck's, pick up a few groceries, and walk back. Right now I would probably have no trouble getting halfway there, but would have to turn around and come back. Also, I am adjusting to the altitude, which is why the city is called mile hi city, and the dry air is also impacting me.

Anyway, that's my story this morning, and if anyone has any thoughts I am open to hearing them.
 
So I just reviewed my recovery thread posts at six months (start at page 73) to make sure my memory isn’t playing tricks, and can say you are pretty much where I was at that point. The only big difference is that I could walk for longer distance without tiring, probably because I’d been taking daily long walks for several weeks by then. But sitting for more than an hour still made my knees stiff (just kinda stiff at one hour, and lots of stiff after three hours —I remember a night in a Milwaukee hotel room recovering from a day of much standing and sitting.

I can tell you what has changed for me between six months and ten months: stairs are MUCH easier (I can trot down the stairs and walk easily up the stairs where before I was slow walking up); higher steps are MUCH easier; I can carry heavy bags of groceries up front steps without pain (though I feel the strain a little); walking much faster (have regained my normal walking speed, which was always fast); sleeping without pillows between knees ever!; deeper, better sleeping; knees only get a little stiff if seated for three hours or longer; get into and out of car easily (used to want to swing both legs out to exit, now just one leg and out I go); use my knees much more to squat to pick things up; am beginning to kneel without thinking about whether I want to really do that or not.

So you’re well on your way! It comes slowly sometimes, or at least feels like it’s slow, but it comes.

A word about altitude. I used to travel back and forth to Bolivia, La Paz, on the Altiplano, which is really high. It’s like living on top of Pike’s Peak. Anyway, give your body time to adjust to the altitude. In a month or two, your systems will have made the necessary compensations. Whenever I would travel to Bolivia, I would have the stamina of an infant for a good two to three weeks, and I was in my 20s and fit. Run up and down a half-size basketball court a few times and I was gasping for air. Muscles tired if I walked a few blocks. So just relax, drink lots of your favorite beverages and enjoy the scenery for another month or two, and you will find yourself back up to speed. Altitude might be a big part of your lack of energy and stamina right now.

And you’re enjoying your new home! Yay!
 
@SusieShoes What a wonderfully helpful and encouraging post - thank you for taking the time to review your thread and for such a thorough response. I appreciate the altitude input as well. And yes I am enjoying my new home. I love the place, and I am finding the people to be so friendly. Plus my family is so close - I got to attend a little performance at my two grand girls' school yesterday afternoon. Is there anything sweeter than a kindergarten class singing songs? Unless its second graders - lol.
 
Would love to change the title to my thread to "six month kneevarsary". Not sure why I am no longer able to change the title, and sorry to bother an admin person, but would someone kindly do that for me? Thanks so much.

At six months I feel like I am doing very well, and also feel like I have come back from all the stress and strain on the knees from my move. I have been very careful in my movements, have taken time this past week to rest and elevate and ice, and I believe it has paid off. I notice in the last couple of days that my knees have settled down again, thank goodness. I went walking with my 7 year old granddaughter yesterday, and hardly even thought about the knees at all. And that's my goal, to get to the place where I don't even think about the knees.

I am still waiting on delivery of my car and several boxes that were shipped inside it. Last word the truck had broken down on Friday and they were working on the engine (of the truck, not my car). Why do I think this is a coincidence that it happened over a week-end? In any event, fingers crossed that it gets here soon. Meanwhile, my kids have been industriously assembling all manner of great looking furniture from IKEA for me. And I am getting the last of the ginormous duffle bags of stuff that the three of us brought with us on the plane from OC.

I hope all is well with bonesmarties this Sunday morning, and that the US contingent remembered to Spring forward last night. Losing that hour of sleep is not fun, and I hate the dark mornings. But the later sunset and bright evenings are worth it!
 
Glad to hear everything is looking up for you @mlwreader. There is hope yet for us who are still in this up and down marathon.

Where in Colorado did you end up settling? I still miss Colorado sometimes.

Happy Sunday!!
 
Hello moderators or @Celle any chance you would change the title of my thread to SIX MOMTH KNEEVERSARY? Thank you. Asked in earlier post but it hasn’t happened and guess no one has seen it? @sistersinhim
 
So glad your move went well. Patience is so hard when we want to do so many things. I just celebrated my 5 month knee anniversary. I thought I would be totally recovered by this time. Boy, was I wrong. Be kind to yourself and your knees. We will totally recover; it just takes time.
 
@4quilts Congrats on five months. I get what you are saying - I thought I'd be done by six months. I had to have lung surgery 25 years ago to repair a collapsed lung. I remember clearly that I was pretty much healed by six months. I had some residual zinger type feelings at the incision line, but everything else was fine. However, I have read on bonesmart that the knee surgery is in a much more confined area, and when there is swelling it can cause more discomfort because of that confined and smallish area. Makes sense to me. Still at six months out from the BTKR's I am so very much better than I was only a few months ago. Do you feel the same? So glad it is March of 2018 and not September of 2017!!!!

And wonder of wonders, my son called a few hours ago and my car, which we had shipped, had arrived. I now have wheels - yippee!!!
 
It’s amazing — and wonderful and exciting — how much more quickly recovery progresses after six months. Or at least mine has. It’s lots of little things. The big things happened earlier (but were under appreciated) and what changed was stuff like strength (I can squat now and do stairs easily), flexion that increases naturally and I just notice it one day, almost complete lack of pain (okay, so once in a while my left knee dislikes how I sleep in bed that night), no more icing (haven’t iced in months), low toilet... no problem!, and getting out of the car like a normal person (I swung both legs out for a while and now it’s just one leg out and I exit). That kind of stuff. I hardly ever think about my knees now.

Great news on having your own wheels again!
 
Welcome to Colorado MLW reader. Sounds like you are right on track at 6 months. I think you will continue to get stronger and your knee will slowly (oh so slowly) begin to feel more normal. I still get stiff and swollen if I stand in the shower for a long time (or at the kitchen counter baking) - I was at 10 months last week. Your stamina and adjustment to altitude will take some time but it will come. I am better at 10 months than at 8, which was better than at 6 . . . . but still not 100% -- this is an extremely long recovery - hang in there!
 
@mlwreader at first I measured my improvement by weeks, now it is by months. I am Much better now than I was at Thanksgiving, much better than Christmas and better than a month ago. I am not 100% but at least I am progressing.

When I was finally able to drive, I felt so exhilerated ... Freedom. Congrats on getting your car.
 
@kmak81230 Thanks for the words of encouragement! I have to keep reminding myself of the altitude adjustment, plus the dry air is working on my sinuses. Where did you have your surgery? I see you are in Colorado. I love it here, always have. We lived in Wichita, Ks in the '70's and came to CO every chance we got. Our Wichita neighbors had a house in Georgetown, and we would rent it from them. After making friends in the town and loving the history and beauty of the area, we bought a little cabin ourselves. We'd load up our station wagon with kids and dog and head north to Salina and turn left to come to Georgetown (eight hours later) every long week-end and chance we got. Eventually we moved to CA and had to let the Georgetown house go, especially after my divorce, because it became too difficult to manage it long distance. Now here I am all these years later, living back in CO at the urging of the son who was only about 3 years old the first time we stayed in Georgetown at our neighbor's house. I still love this state, although Denver has grown so much over the years. I feel so blessed to have new knees and a new adventure at this stage of my life. So blessed. It is hard to be patient and let the healing come at its own pace because I want to explore so much. Thanks for giving a shout out from the 10 month perch, kmak81230, and I hope you keep on posting.
 
When I was finally able to drive, I felt so exhilerated ... Freedom. Congrats on getting your car.

@4quilts I do have my son's car today, but it is a huge SUV, which I have never driven before. Fortunately it is an oldie but goodie, so it doesn't have all the distracting bells, whistles, camera, alarms, like that. My own car is an elderly Camry Solara that I have owned for many years. I have put almost all the miles on it myself. It is going to seem like a midget driving around Denver with everyone driving ginormous vehicles. Don't care. Me and my little car will do just fine! And just think how well you'll be at St. Patty's day, then Easter, then . . . . :)
 
I am in Gunnison - about 4 hrs from Denver. We finally got a couple joint replacement surgeons here a few years ago - prior to that we had to go to Denver or Grand Junction. I was glad to be able to do it here. Planning on #2 in a few months.
 
@mlwreader Sounds like the move is going great. And driving is such a wonderful thing. FREEDOM!! I have a little red hatchback and I love it. So easy to park but still room to haul stuff also. I loved your post about going to the little grandkids shows.

I'm trying so hard to not be so impatient about healing. I have my 6 week check up on Thursday and having difficulty dealing with the knees still hurting :) I'm also going to have a talk with doctors about continually dropping the ball on pain relief.

Plus we are on our 3rd nor'easter within 2 weeks. All I see out my window are snowdrifts. I guess that's what I get for talking about what I'm going to plant in the garden this spring. How has the weather been there in Denver?

Take care of yourself and don't overdo it
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom