Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

What a delicious birthday @SherrieT Lucky girl!

Move is scheduled for this week-end, involving several phases. My Denver kids are flying in Sat morning and my other son is driving up from San Diego on Sat morning as well. I don't think I have done too much so far, except for last week, I think it was, and I dialed everything down after my left knee began complaining. I contacted my OS office yesterday, told them I was moving and mentioned the issue with the left knee. The OS nurse reminded me it was a year's healing process, and she told me to ice and elevate and take Aleve. I will probably not take Aleve, but will take either Advil or Tylenol as needed.

I know that Tylenol is the recommended medication on bonesmart, and Josephine has explained why very clearly. However, Tylenol does not seem to help my aches and pains in other parts of my body, as I do have arthritis in my hands and neck pretty badly, especially my left hand. I sometimes need the ibuprophin to knock that back.

Great to hear from you Sherrie. I will check out your thread to see what's up with you. :) And everyone else's thread too.
 
We get to know our own bodies and what works best (which is the genesis of the advice to “Listen to your knee(s)!”), so if you have a go-to med, why not use that when you need something? I have a NSAID that always works when I have a sore knee thing going; it worked pre-op, and it continued to provide a benefit post-op. I used it very sparingly, though, because my dentist had warned me that med interfered with bone healing. :shocked: With knee replacements, who needs that?!?

Anyway, that med works for knee inflammation for me. And I’ve taken it a few times. If ibuprofen works for you, just keep in mind the med’s serious drawbacks and take as little as necessary.
 
My last visit with my wonderful dermatologist today before moving to Colorado. Full monty melanoma check - doing great - nothing new or suspicious. Except for a basal cell on my forehead, so will have to find a dermatologist in Denver pretty quickly who can do a Mohs procedure (not sure I spelled that correctly). Discuss with daughter in law, who informs me her next door neighbor is a dermatologist. Ok so much of everything associated with this move has been smooth and serendipitous, why am I surprised to find out my kids live next door to the exact kind of doctor I will need pretty quickly upon my arrival in Denver?

Knees are tender tonight, house is completely messed up, boxes everywhere, but I am done for the day. Bandage on forehead is giving me a headache. Take two Tylenol. Feet up on the couch with bonesmart. . . .
 
What an adventure you are embarking on, mlwreader! I wish you all the best in your new home. You have a strong spirit to attempt such a major move this soon after your BTKR! Keep allowing your wonderful children to shower love on you by doing things for you. You both will feel good about it forever! This is an important time for them too as they get to do a little "payback."
 
Are you in Denver yet? If yes, I hope your trip was as easy as possible. Let everyone know when you are settled. Welcome home!
 
Hi @MSgirl I am still in SoCal, today my Denver kids and my SD kid worked to get the place ready for the move. I am on the couch right now, they are all gone for the night. I am feeling a little weepy at leaving my older son and his family, but very excited for this new journey. I think the change will be great for me. We fly out on Monday. Car and belongings will be shipped. My knees are a bit more swollen than usual, but nothing particularly painful. I did take two tylenol earlier today, but that was for a headache - lol. Thank you for checking in. Change is exciting, but hard at the same time. Going to meander around bonesmart for a few more minutes and then go take a shower. My place echoes with all the pictures down. Feels weird. Hugs.
 
You have a good night. We'll talk soon.
 
Had a great night's sleep. I must be doing something right as the knees are ok, still a little swollen, but not painful. Just tight. I really did let the kids do most of the work. And I always love the interplay between my sons, they are both extremely tall - 6'5", used to be redheads, but lost most of their hair, really smart, kind and fun. Not prejudiced much me. . . Anyway, today is the last day, so I will continue to be careful and not overdo. Staying in hotel tonight. Thanks so much to all for the good wishes. For some reason the "like" button will not work all of a sudden on my feed, but I "liked" MSgirl, 4quilts, SherrieT and sistersinhim posts, for the record (sorry, can't help my inner attorney comes out sometimes. . .)
 
Continue to keep us updated. I pray your move goes smoothly!
 
Hello fellow knee people:

First of all, it seems my ability to change the title to my thread has disappeared as the link is gone. If any admins see this post, I was going to change the title to "knee challenges during and post-move". Would an admin be able to make the change? I wonder why the link is gone - is this a change in the software? Too many people changing their titles? Or just a glitch? I am so over technology this week after attempting to navigate various websites to change my address - lol.

So I have been in Denver for five days. The flight from OC to Denver was awesome. I did not use the wheel chair at John Wayne airport because it just isn't that big an airport. I did set off the scanner, but the interesting thing was only one knee showed up. Made me want to call the doc and ask him if he's sure he replaced both. The full pat down was thorough, I will say, but the woman who did it was very mindful and let me know as she conducted each part of it. I did ask for early boarding on the plane, which was granted. And I did get up and walk once during the 2 hour flight, plus stood up a couple of times, plus extended my legs frequently as well. I was sitting next to my son, so there wasn't an issue of my bothering a stranger with my movements.

By the time we reached my son's house, greeted the girls, chatted with the care giver, etc., etc. my legs were definitely aching and the knees were swollen. My kids have done the lion's share of all the work of the move out in OC, and the move in in Denver. Nonetheless, my knees are more swollen then they were about 10 days ago before this process started. I am not having any night time problems, just moving slower and slower as each day progresses. Great in the morning, although a little stiff upon getting out of bed. And as the day goes on, more and more stiffness and achiness. I have my new Lounge doctor here and have been able to ice and elevate only a couple of times, due to logistics. But, for example, I have my legs propped on an ottoman right now.

I have not spent the night at the new place yet, but expect to do so tonight or tomorrow night. I don't think I am hurting any more than I was prior to the move, I am just much more active. No lifting or carrying, but much more standing and walking. Oh and I did have a wheel chair at the Denver airport when we arrived, because that airport is huge. So glad I did that.

I think once I am in the new place, I will be much more able to ice and elevate on a regular basis. I just am hopeful that there won't be any issues that creep up a few days or a week from now that relate back to all this moving stuff. I will be six months post surgery in another week. I can clearly see some more recovery ahead.

And, I love my new place!
 
All in all, it sounds like you are doing really well. I can't imagine having to move with a 6 month of bilateral! You are amazing! Praise God you have a wonderful family to help you!
 
First of all, it seems my ability to change the title to my thread has disappeared as the link is gone. If any admins see this post, I was going to change the title to "knee challenges during and post-move". Would an admin be able to make the change? I wonder why the link is gone - is this a change in the software? Too many people changing their titles? Or just a glitch?
I've changed your thread title for you.

It's just a glitch, but a minor one.
 
Been thinking of you and hoping things have been going well.
We’re in a big storm and lost power a couple of hours ago. The change in weather is wrecking havoc with my knees

Hope first night in new place is wonderful and “homey”
 
I am reminding myself of my first month post-op when I was so impatient to be able to recover and get back into life. I am currently back into life, but am still physically only half way through this year's journey. I am chomping at the bit to be able to go and do in this new city, but I don't have the stamina, strength, energy or ability. I can do lots of things I couldn't do a few months ago, but there's still lots that is challenging. Like sitting for any length of time, or walking as fast as others in my family, or climbing upstairs like a regular person instead of slow and steady, or walking more than around the block without getting tired muscles in my legs, or being able to bend my knees far enough to get to my feet in the shower. As to the latter, I can get to my feet, but it is still a stretch, and I need to do it very carefully, hanging onto the safety bar at the same time.

I need to remember what a miracle I am. I have taken up my journal again, and after I'm finished with the day's entry, I am going back and reading what I journaled a year ago and two years ago. My goodness my knee (and at that time it was only one problem knee) was dominating my life. And all the worry about treatment, injections, a brace, and the rumination as to whether to go ahead with the surgery. I am in a much different and much better place this year.

But I want to be at the place where I don't think about my knees. Because I can still feel tightness in both knees, sometimes zinger-like sensations, achiness at the end of the day, things like that.

I know I need to be patient. I am just under six months, and doing very well for that time period, especially after going through a move. I just needed to post about it and have you guys remind me of all the stuff you remind us impatient knee people about.

I hope all is well, and so excited to finally have my internet up and running. So I'm going to end this post and go check out what is going on with everyone else.
 
@mlwreader Congratulations on your move!! I’m so glad it went well and that you had the help and support of your family. I moved from Denver to NC 4 years ago. We lived there for 3 1/2 years due to a job relo. Denver is a great city. Lots of great places to meander. Colorado in general is a beautiful state with breathtaking beauty. I’m sure you’ll be happy to explore it with your new knees.

The last place we lived at was right next to the Broncos stadium. We enjoyed living there. We felt like tourists.

Enjoy your new digs!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom